1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"The Judge" Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Charli, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Aug 6, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
  2. Aug 7, 2009 at 6:26 AM
    aggieshooter

aggieshooter Registered Chet-head

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab V6 SR5 4x4
    OME 3" lift, ToyTec rear AAL, 16" Moto Metal 951's, 285/75R/16 BFGoodrich KM2's, Aries Grill Guard, Hella 500's, Flowmaster 40
    Wow. Word for word what I was going to say...and the same link I was gonna share too. So, what ^^^he said. LOL.

I also agree that they are a ton of fun to shoot and a buddy of mine that spends a lot of time on a tractor uses one with great results for snakes in the field, but I just wouldn't trust my life to one if I didn't have to.

3. Aug 7, 2009 at 6:43 AM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    How is this thing legal and Sawed off shotguns aren't?

4. Aug 7, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    2009Silver

2009Silver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    Shoot it first. When my wife shot my .44 she fired, her arms came up with the recoil, and she accidentally fired another shot in the air...

5. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    this is still classified as a handgun. its mainly just a bunch of bureaucratic BS. shotguns cant be sawed off for reasons pertaining to game and wildlife laws as well

6. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:20 AM
    qballenko

qballenko Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD

I disagree but hey to each his own. Ive seen people get shot by a .22 and not live to tell about it, so I am very sceptical when I hear experts talk about what is effective and what is ineffective.

For year "experts" have said that the 5.56 is a bad round for the military to use. The velocity is to high and it doesn't have the stopping power. Well there are thousands of Iraqis and Afghanis that would disagree with that statement. Ive seen car engines that definitely disagree with that statement.

Heard it for years with the 9mm being ineffective. Yeah with a ball round that is true because its traveling at a high velocity. Put a hollow point in and thats a whole different animal. 326 jules of energy hitting you center mass will put almost everyone on there ass.

But of course the true test of the effectiveness of a weapon is the end user.

Now as Tarus being a POS, I totally agree. Ive known several people who have owned them and regreted the purchase. However a co-worker has shot one and warned me that if you shoot it you need to know that you cannot hold it like a semi-auto as it will tear into your finger.

7. Aug 7, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    Charli

Charli [OP] Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    Thanks for all the info guys--sorry about being non-responsive for so long, been busy with the foster dogs, and had my Dad in town. At the price I've seen them at, I can't afford one really anyhow. I'll be picking up another shotgun before I get a handgun in any case. I would of course fire one before making any purchases! :)

8. Aug 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    what kind of shotgun are you looking at?

9. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    Charli

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    I had a Mossberg 500 (very long story about why I don't have it anymore), so I'll be getting another one eventually. :)

10. Aug 8, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    oooh. thats what im looking at buying too. well between that and a remington 870. or both i dont know yet

11. Aug 14, 2009 at 1:50 AM
    AVTOMAT

AVTOMAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DBL Cab Super White
    De-badge.Pro Comp 7089.White front emblem.AFE pro dry air filter.Full Wet Okole covers.The rest in progress pending research

First one like this was American made , "Thunder Five" , you can see on in the movie "Three Kings".Not a successful gun in sale or quality.Didn't have the 45 Colt option.

Got to back this guy on his alternative suggestions for revolvers.Taurus has a long history of quality control problems.You would be shocked to see some of the problems.PLEASE if you purchase one thoroughly test it with the ammunition you plan on using for a defensive application before you bet your life on it.

12. Aug 17, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    Charli

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Thank you guys--I will be sure to test out anything I buy! Since I'm currently up to my ears in dogs and rescue, I won't be doing anything soon anyway, not to mention the price it comes with...... :eek:

13. Aug 18, 2009 at 4:20 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Well don't know much about that gun, but my home gun is a Thunder Five, 5 shot revolver. Loaded with .410 3" custom slugs. Have a pic of it in "my pictures" they are custom built by my Dad.
    Recoil is low, due to the weight of the gun.

14. Aug 18, 2009 at 7:38 AM
    Charli

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:

I went through all 19 pages in your gallery but I couldn't find it! :eek: I wanna see! I wanna see! :D Hubby wants me to get something to carry when teaching in bad niehborhoods.

15. Aug 18, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    its number 133 in the pictures icon in his avatar thingy

16. Aug 18, 2009 at 9:20 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    [​IMG]
    Here she is, if you are interested I will give you my Dads number, you can get ahold of him and go from there. Also if you do, ask him to do a custom serial number for you.

17. Aug 18, 2009 at 12:52 PM
    Charli

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    OH MY! That is GORGEOUS Bill! I'm going to want that number, but I won't be able to buy anything until at least next month (if I pick up this extra class--October if I don't). Low recoil is good. Thank you Beastly and Bill for posting the pic because I'm a dummy and couldn't find it.

18. Sep 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    The Judge is wildly popular right now, I am told by a local shop owner that the biggest reason you can't find 45 Colt ammo anywhere is because of the Judge. I've heard that the same is true of 380 ammo as the result of the huge popularity of the Ruger LCP380, cool new guns for previously just moderately popular calibers (although the 45Colt had enjoyed a resurgence of popularity due to Cowboy Action Shooting matches that have come along in recent years).

I'm not real convinced of the great value of either of these guns. The 380 isn't a real good round (although better than a pocket knife in a tough situation) and, as has been alluded to in earlier posts, the 410 shotshell out of a short barrel with rifling has limited usefulness as well. The Judge is also pretty big and bulky, so even in the short barreled iterations it isn't the greatest handgun for concealed carry. I wouldn't mind having one, but think it'd end up being more in the nature of a fun toy than much else.

Products Discussed in

To Top