Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

my first gun...

Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #41
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
In CA everything everything is illegal. In Almost every other state you can carry a concealed pistol (including in your car) if you have a permit.
gotcha
maybe thats why i am so confused when i see guys carrying guns tucked in their pants and in their center consoles. haha
always lived in CA

CA is lame
Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #43
dwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nice

Marines: Sgt/6114 - Cobra/Huey Helo Mech, HMLA-773
dwzild's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dwzild
Check out the Para Carry 9mm or .45. Awesome snagless carry pistols, but you'll pay for them. From $700 - $1100. I use an XD .40 service model for GP, (nice pistola) wouldn't make a good concealed carry though. I believe the Para is the smallest snagless pistol available.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #44
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
That sucks! Makes no sense to me.
They made it Legal = cool not sucks
you probably just read it wrong
Old 08-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #46
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all the advice guys, looks like i have some more research to do and go check out some more weapons. i wasn't sure how the guns laws were in other states, but in w.v. as long as you take the course and pay the fee you can carry a concealed weapon WHEREVER you go as long as it is allowed in the place you are going to.

you guys are right, whatever fits me best. but i want a gun that is fairly lightweight, accurate, easy to conceal, and packs a good punch. ill keep you guys posted as to what i end up getting. but thanks for all the advice, keep em coming!!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #47
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
Yea in VA you can carry concealed anywhere...except for churces, government buildings, and places that serve alcohol. And if someone tells you not to carry on their premises you have to comply...I have my concealed carry permit...one thing I did not know until I took the class was that if someone is weilding a knife you can legally shoot them up to 21 feet away...b/c by the time you unholster your pistol and make it ready they can be on you and stabbed you several times....I carry a Glock 26 sub compact 9mm...loaded with Gold-Dot 127gr Hollow Points....I will probably pass that off to the wife and look at some of the Para Ordinace
Old 08-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #48
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #49
Outback is a splendid one to beholdOutback is a splendid one to beholdOutback is a splendid one to beholdOutback is a splendid one to beholdOutback is a splendid one to beholdOutback is a splendid one to behold
Outback's Tacoma Gallery
Carry gun

We in NJ cant carry a gun. Period. Politicians play up to North jersey (really NY) and to the parents of those in Camden who carry illegally, shoot each other and have nothing to lose.
Slingshots are illegal. Really!

The S&W 340PD is a great carry gun when I leave NJ (when I get my permits soon). The 340PD weighs only 11 oz empty. It will set you back $900+ but if you think of reliability and how long you will keep it....make your choice.
The 357 MAG hurts the hand a bit but it also taked 38 Specials.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #50
kroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
kroggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback View Post
We in NJ cant carry a gun. Period. Politicians play up to North jersey (really NY) and to the parents of those in Camden who carry illegally, shoot each other and have nothing to lose.
Slingshots are illegal. Really!

The S&W 340PD is a great carry gun when I leave NJ (when I get my permits soon). The 340PD weighs only 11 oz empty. It will set you back $900+ but if you think of reliability and how long you will keep it....make your choice.
The 357 MAG hurts the hand a bit but it also taked 38 Specials.

Great minds think alike. I posted that one up earlier in the thread. You have one yet? I have the 329PD .44MAG/44SPL, love it & shoot it. After the XDM-40, which I can/will carry until I can afford the 340PD.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #51
Doroliat03 is a jewel in the roughDoroliat03 is a jewel in the roughDoroliat03 is a jewel in the rough

Marines: 2nd Explosive Ordnance Disposal
Doroliat03's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, i don't know if anyone has already said it, but i would get a glock 30 SF. 10 rounds of .45 ACP and its small.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #52
SCCAKen is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
SCCAKen's Tacoma Gallery
carry weapon

Kroggy & Outback have given you some sound advice.

My carry piece is a S&W 340, which takes .357 or .38 Specials. I've had a local smith "slick it up" and ease up the trigger pull a bit. I've also had him add a XS "Big Dot" tritium front sight. You can get a De Santis pocket holster with some tiny sticky knobs so it won't slide out of your front jeans pocket with a bit of practice. S&W made the 342PD, a .38 version of the same gun, but it is out of production. The .38 version will do fine if you can find one. I carry .38 in mine. There is some very good LEO & short barrel specialty ammo available.

I have Glock .40s, a full frame model 22 & baby model 27; neither is my first choice for daily carry. I've got a full frame Springfield .45 acp if I need something serious.

The FBI chose the 10mm (a longer version of the .40S&W) after the 1986 FBI shootout in Miami. The FBI was WAY out gunned there so I think they over-reacted a bit. I think some FBI units, like the HRT, have gone back to .45 acp. The 10mm is a POWERFUL round; too powerful, I think for a baby Glock.

For the "any gun as long as it starts with a 4 crowd". Kahr makes a nice, small .45 acp. Get a wallet holster and you will be set. The baby Glock in .45 acp is a decent choice and readily available.

Practice your draw, practice in low light, practice often with medium load target ammo and practice with your serious ammo too. Practice (safely) out in the dark with no hearing protection. You must be accustomed to the noise and flash of your serious ammo. Practice some more.

NOTE: Some very smart people suggest that you make no modifications to any weapon you intend to carry. Their belief is a lawyer can twist modifications, like "hair trigger" in front of a jury that could adversely affect your case.

Good luck,

Ken (from Atlanta)
Old 08-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #54
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
"The Judge"
Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #55
Outback is a splendid one to beholdOutback is a splendid one to beholdOutback is a splendid one to beholdOutback is a splendid one to beholdOutback is a splendid one to beholdOutback is a splendid one to behold
Outback's Tacoma Gallery
340pd

Yes I have one, The 340PD takes 357 & 38SP. Looks great too. I was looking for a lasergrip setup but I am to pick up my new 09 4wd taco doublecab longbed TRD likely tomorrow. The laser grips are on the back burner! lol
Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #56
Those are not my pants
dw77x is on a distinguished road

dw77x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
I like how you can get most of the Glocks in a Compensated or "C" model. Doesnt make much of a difference on the 9mm but once you step into a .40 or .45 the increased control is amazing. Still my personal Favorite is the 19c, that little extra bit of control the compensation provides on the 9mm allows you to throw a group of 8 or 9 rounds down range very quickly and stay very tightly bunched.
A compensated glock basically has a flash brake built into the end of the barrel, it will vent gas out of the two openings reducing recoil. The bad thing is in night situations it can be very blinding and may not be the right choice for an every day carry pistol. I would prefer a standard barrel and LOTS of training, not only because it's fun but it will make you a better shooter and thats what it's all about!

A c model would be great in a speed shooting event!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #57
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
My first pistol was a .40 cal S&W. hate that gun,, jups outta your hand almost. A smaller caliber is good to start with. that ruger .380 should be a good gun.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #58
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Springfield XD .40

It is a really nice handgun. IMO, much better than the Glocks I've shot. Better than just about everything else I've shot. The only think I can think of that beats it is a Springfield 1911

But that's just my opinion.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #59
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
i might be a pistol owner here in the near future, looking to get a sig 9mm... not sure of a model at this point
Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #60
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Thats why I love Louisiana, only need a permit to conceal on my person. The vehicle is considered to be my home. And we can open carry almost anywhere.
I have a feeling most people in Louisiana would carry a weapon in their truck even if you weren't allowed too.

I have a machete (camping purposes) Kabar and my pistol in my truck.