Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

my first gun...

Old 08-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
my first gun...

ok so since i just turned 21, i can finally own a handgun in the state of wv and get my concealed weapons permit. hopefully ill have one in the next couple weeks. i've narrowed it down to a s&w .40 with a 4" barrel or a .380 ruger or kahr. i need something that i can carry on me so its gonna be light and small, but i want it to be a good self-defense weapon. im leaning toward the .40 but im still looking. what do you guys think?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Those are not my pants
dw77x is on a distinguished road

dw77x's Tacoma Gallery
.40 is a good round with good* stopping power, but they are snappy. The barrel of the pistol rises after each shot and is something to get used to. I LOVE my glock 23 nice med size frame and very reliable. Or you could go to the model 27 with a compact frame. Shoot them all and see what works best for you! Good ole Wisconsin no CCW here

(I am a glock fanboy)
Old 08-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
wow i like those glocks, but they seem heavier and longer than what ive been looking at. are they still pretty each to carry around/conceal?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama
rutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud of
rutherk1's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rutherk1
I am happy with my Glock 36. Its super small and packs a punch. It's tiny. In the palm of my hand you can hardly see it.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
BigJLarse83 is a glorious beacon of lightBigJLarse83 is a glorious beacon of lightBigJLarse83 is a glorious beacon of lightBigJLarse83 is a glorious beacon of lightBigJLarse83 is a glorious beacon of light

BigJLarse83's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought an XD .40 Subcompact. I love it. Shoots nicely with a very low recoil compared to other 40's I have fired. I was told that you can't go wrong when you buy an XD or a Glock. They are both excellent choices. I went with the XD because of how it felt in my hand. I chose the subcompact becuase it conceals easily. Like mentioned by someone else, just go try a few first. But for a conceal carry I would go with a .40 with whatever round your local police department carries. That way if you have the unfortunate event of having to use your firearm to protect yourself and the case goes to court the victims lawyer can not say that you were carrying a round hotter than needed for self defense, you were carrying exactly what the police carry. In my case, I carry HydraShocks, a little spendy but that's what the police in my area use.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=2

This is the holster I got for it, cheaper version of the one I really wanted but I've bought so many holsters that I am now trying the cheap before I buy the nice one as I have probably $400 in holsters I don't use. I have to wear a dress shirt at work so this holster makes it possible for me to tuck my shirt in over the gun, works perfectly.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA829-33.html
Old 08-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
10mm Glock 29. The 10mm is the 2nd most high powered semi-auto handgun round that is commercially available. It is less common that .45 and .40, but it's making enough of a comeback that I'm able to buy target ammo at Academy for the same or less that .45 rounds.

The Glock 29 is a compact model that is easily concealable, highly accurate, and comfortable to shoot.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
...The 10mm is the 2nd most high powered semi-auto handgun round that is commercially available...
Second only to the .50 Action Express
Old 08-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #12

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Find the gun you are comfortable with then get a good holster it will make all the difference.
Absolutely! Everyone has an opinion on which caliber/ gun to get, but the most important thing is that you're comfortable shooting and carrying it.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #14

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
i plan on getting a conceled weapons lisince as soo as i can!
Yeah, but I think you've got a little but of a wait there bud.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #16
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
kroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
kroggy's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, you just turned 21 and now your thinking about it. I had my decision made on my first handgun before I turned 21. I actually knew what I wanted at 19, but that was for Grizzles.

Caliber and Model are all up to you, but if your looking to conceal & carry, I personally think you should stay away from glocks and springfields, due to the fact that for me they don't conceal well. I have a springfield xdm-40, I wouldn't carry it because it's a fairly thick gun due to its capacity, and doesn't conceal well on me. But I I'll post you a link to what I would get for carrying.

340PD HiVIZ
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #19

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
For Griz... I'd prefer one of these:
Yeah that'd conceal real nice like
Old 08-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #20
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery