1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deer Hunting ?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by PatHLC128, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Aug 19, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    Trauma85

Trauma85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra
    Ok, im going to be honest, Im slightly impared and really didnt read ANY of the text, but i saw the title and the picture, and im going to say. a 30-30 is a good deer gun, first gun I used when i started hunting at 11. They are fun, dont stop working the lever till the deer drops!! :D

2. Aug 20, 2009 at 3:03 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    The 30/30 is a great gun and my first for hunting deer in PA's thick woods. Alot of scope mount ideas out there, you can do it like everone else does or even mount it forward of the injection port.
    I have been shooting the new Hornady lever ammo and like it alot, good luck :)

3. Aug 20, 2009 at 3:26 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i'm jealous...only rifles we can hunt deer with here in Ohio are Muzzle Loaders. i use an NEF 20ga ultra slugger. it's almost a rifle with some good sabot rounds...but still i'd rather use a .270. a 30-30 will be just fine for knocking down a whitetail...we got some biggins here.

4. Aug 20, 2009 at 5:55 AM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    30-06 aint bad compared to the 300-rem ultra mag mountain rifle...:D

5. Aug 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    We use to have only shotgun here in Indiana, a friend of mine had a rifled .410 that he made custom rounds for. He used 240 grain XTP for the bullet. He had the chamber redone since the round did not have the crimp on the end. Seen him knock them down at over 100 yards.

6. Aug 20, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i've taken my pump .410 out a couple times before with 2-3/4 sluggers, but never got an opportunity to test it out. it is now reserved exclusively for rabbit hunting and the occasional backyard crow.

what's the deal with our states and rifles? i mean, the muzzleloaders out there these days have the same if not more powerful ballistics than some rifle calibers. hell, i don't even have a large caliber rifle, for the fact that other than tunnel pigs and paper, there's not much i can (legaly) shoot with one that my other guns won't handle.

7. Aug 20, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 [OP] College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    im shocked that NY actually allows something related to guns that other states dont...i thought all states allowed rifle hunting. although in the county where i live there is NO hunting at all and on long island i think its only bow hunting.

8. Aug 20, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    Went deer hunting for the 1st time on tuesday. I shot at one that had taken off and we only saw one drop of blood :( alot of does and bambis

9. Aug 21, 2009 at 3:24 AM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    was it a good hit? a running shot?

10. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:23 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4

A good scope goes a long way toward improving accuracy, even at short range. If you've never tried it, even a short 50 yard shot in the woods, in shadows and shade or cloudy conditions, with iron sights could be basically impossible. A good, low magnification scope solves that problem, hate for you to have to pass up a shot at the Buck of a Lifetime because you could see the sights.

11. Aug 21, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Heard that!!! my Knight smoke pole can reach out to 200 yards with no problems. t
    True on the obtics also, you get what you pay for, but then again......
    practice, practice, practice

12. Aug 21, 2009 at 10:59 AM
    lve2xlr8_mph

lve2xlr8_mph Silver Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Zebulon, NC
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 3.4 V6 Limited
    Bilstein 3" lift
    I have a 270 short-mag. it blows them suckers down. It leaves a nice hole on the other side to.:D

13. Aug 21, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    I would suggest a new or used Remington 760 30-06 carbine pump (current 7600). I’ve hunted N.Y. woods, with levers, autos, bolts and pumps, rifles and shotguns, and I’ve found the 760 carbine the most versatile and comfortable to fire when scoped. Maybe not today, but someday you’ll want a scope, as hunting even the brushiest Catskills woods you will see deer that are at the far end of your visual range and beyond a 30-30s ideal range.

I’m not knocking lever guns and I would never sell mine. They are a great gun and have probably taken more deer than any other style rifle. They are a pleasure (un-scoped) to carry in the woods, The problem is they are dated designs, originally intended as scabbard carried, fast shooting, high capacity rifles, and their very design limits them in cartridge and caliber. To me, they feel top heavy and awkward when scoped. A pet peeve (at least with Winchesters) is they are a pain to unload as each round must be cycled through the action and ejected from the rifle to unload it. Being experienced at searching for rounds in the snow, I can attest that it is not the best way to unload a rifle.

I say spend the extra $100 (a lifetime investment) and get a Remington 760 or 7600 carbine, a more versatile gun that is nearly identical to a lever gun in size and weight. And as a bonus, you'll be helping your corrupt politicians keep their pockets full of our tax dollars, as Remington still has a factory in N.Y.

14. Aug 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM
    6LugRegCab

6LugRegCab Member

Member:
    Fort Smith, Ar
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Streak PreRunner SR5
    2.5 inch Bilstein 5100s all around, 1 inch block, 265/75R16 Bfgoodrich AT, Westin Brushguard, ProComp Lights
    If you love the Look and feel of that gun, but want something that shoots like a 30-06 check out the new Marlin 338mx and mxlr

15. Aug 24, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 [OP] College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    thanks for all the input guys but i ended up with a Remington 700 SPS in .308 with a Leupold MK2 3-9X40mm scope. its stainless and synthetic so i wont worry about it in foul weather and i will definitely buy a levergun someday. im familiar with .308 since I already have a Springfield M1A National Match and from my time in the Marine Corps. the rifle feels great in my hands and hopefully ill have a chance to get to range this week.

16. Aug 24, 2009 at 10:09 PM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    Excellent choice. You won't have any regrets.

Products Discussed in

To Top