1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camp/Off Road Protection

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by dtrujillo63, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Sep 10, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    I love XD's. I've shot a 9mm, .40, and .45. For personal protection while camping/offroading, I(ME) would choose the 9mm. Just because it's lightweight and can be "tossed around" easily.

2. Sep 10, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    NateH.

NateH. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 Longbed TRD Sport Magnetic Gray
    I know you had menitoned carrying, but my weapon of choice for camping, offroad protection and most importantly home protection, is my mossberg 500 with an 18.5 inch barrel and pistol grip. 6 shot capacity, I alternate buck shot and slugs. The buck shot to slow them down, the slugs to finish them off. I have a few hand guns (one glock) and shoot them regularly. If something did ever go down, I am not going to risk my life on being a good marksman. It's one thing to stand still and hit a target with a handgun, but in a true moment of fight or flight do you really think you will be standing still? I want a gun that has some spread, plus something about the sound of shotgun pump that gets everyone's attention. However, if you are only looking for a handgun, then I think a glock is a great choice.

3. Sep 10, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    thekidcatcher

thekidcatcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD offroad SR5
    Legs- --Helo rims --KM3 285/75/R16 --Bilstein 5100 in front with OME 886 --Dakar with extra leaf --Total Chaos UCA's --5165's Bilstein in the rear Electronics- --Warn M8000 w/ Warn wirless remote --Cobra 29LTD CB, --12in sub with alpine amp , --Dual Battery, --Warn Air compressor --URD MAF sensor, --touchscreen cd player hooked up to front and rear cameras Armor- --All-Pro offroad front/rear/rocksliders --AP skid plate, diff armor Cajones- --JBA headers, midpipe, exhaust --Safari Snorkel --4.56s ECGS Misc- highlift jack --UWS toolbox --u bolt flip kit --Tepui Kukenam Custom- --in dash inverter --on-board shower system --dvd anytime mod --custom bed rack and tiregate.
    [​IMG]
    Nuff said lol.

4. Sep 10, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you need a gun to feel safe when you're camping or offroading... then maybe you're camping & offroading in the WRONG areas my friend. :p

5. Sep 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    agreed. Just whatever you feel most comfortable shooting is most important. For me I like the balance and feel of my smith and wesson 686+ .357 mag(6" barrel). The option to shoot .38s is nice as well. I also chose the .357 because I'm more worried about bears and mountain lions where I camp/hunt at. Had a mama bear walk past us without noticing us then one of the cubs walked by and spotted us and started cutting up. Mama started poppin her jaws and carryin on. That was the last time I was in the woods unarmed.

6. Sep 10, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    Redbone

Redbone Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    4x4 OR Rugged Trail(Black)
    You can never go wrong with a compact wheel gun when camping/hiking...consider some of the J frame Smiths...the model 60 can do it all, compact, great stopping power in .357, and 100% reliable.

7. Sep 11, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Since no one has mentioned it yet, I'll suggest 10mm. It has better ballistics than any other round mentioned in this thread. Though you already said your primary concern is other people, penetration is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome for handguns on animal targets.

The sad fact is that most firearms are designed for killing human beings. This is particularly true of handguns. Your options for a handgun that can be effectively wielded against humans and predatory animals is extremely limited. 9mm, .40, and .45 are good calibers for self defense, but fall short when put up against animals with thicker fur, skin and/ or bones than humans.

Of course, as everyone has said before, if you're not able to effectively wield a 10mm or other high velocity large caliber handgun, then you'd be better off with a smaller caliber (or a carbine). Actually in almost every case you'd be better off with a carbine, it's just not as easy to carry one around with you.

Jeff Cooper "often described the handgun as a convenient-to-carry stopgap weapon, allowing someone the opportunity to get to a rifle".

8. Sep 11, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Good post.
    Thank you.

9. Sep 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    Griztaco

Griztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    I consider glocks and XD almost equal when it comes to reliability, durability, weight, and capacity. Having said that, I like the XD with the added grip safety over the glock.

10. Oct 6, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Another round to perhaps consider is .357Sig. Not too many firearms shoot it, but it's supposed to be similar to a .357Magnum. Fires a .40 cal shell, necked down a bit. Higher energy than a 9mm or .40.

Probably pricier ammo though.

11. Oct 6, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    Regardless of caliber you should probably not aim for a small conceal gun. A slightly larger frame can be easier to learn to control. Even the recoil from a J-frame can be difficult for a beginner when compared to a Glock 17, 19 or comparable XD or any other semi-auto (1911 for sure if you have the $$). The triggers are easier to get used to and train your finger to squeeze (not pull) and the weight helps keep it on target.

I once saw a complete newb show up to a basic pistol training with their (husband and wife) brand new, still in box, Ruger LCP. I shook my head and the instructor told them that he'd let them shoot his gun if they didn't like that one for the training.
    First shot she put one through the roof of the range and her husband laughed... completely uncool. She really liked the S&W .357 revolver that the instructor let her shoot once he showed her how to cock it (couldn't pull it through the action without cocking with her thumb).

Find a range that lets you rent guns and try a few out. Better yet, find some friends that have different guns and go shooting with them. Just offer to buy the rounds.

Good luck.

12. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    baildavc

baildavc TREADING LIGHTLY!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Jasper, AL
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 white DC OR
    3 inch lift, 33's, bull bar, debadged, windows tinted, direct wired power inverter, blacked out front emblem,
    A lot of guys here are leaning toward a tactical based polymer frame pistol, Glock, XD, even Taurus would be good choices. I went with the glock 19 with 17 round mags. Best advice is whatever you get put some on some sort of night sight, since most incindents would occur during the night I thought that a necessary upgrade.

13. Oct 8, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    Taurus Judge. It will take 45 long colt or .410.
    You can get .410 buck shot for personel protection or put a .410 slug in it to take out most animals at close range.

14. Oct 8, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Out of all the handguns I've had, my S&W .357 mag Model 27 is one of my favorites. My only choice when going in the woods. I would highly recommend looking into the .357 for self protection from large game and individuals while camping or off-roading. Not to mention a revolver is basically fail proof when compared to an automatic pistol, and is much safer for someone who is new to carrying firearms.

15. Oct 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    Rollinn

Rollinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner sport
    Icon 2.5 c/o,TC uca, bhlm mod, nav, etc etc
    i own a .40 Glock w/ nite sights and it just feels so damn good in your hand, comfy, perfect size and gets the job done..
    Go to a gun store and feel em out for yourself..

16. Oct 9, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    I agree that the 357 Magnum is the best, most versatile, most effective man-sized critter-stopper (this would include such beasts as feral dogs, mountain-lion, black-bears, big-bad wolves, and two-legged predators). My first handgun, given to me by my dad as a Christmas present when I was a junior in high-school back in the late '60s was a 6 1/2" S&W M27. I believe that gun saved my life on one occasion, possibly two, and also accounted for a lot of dead gophers and several deer in the decade that followed.

If I were in the market for a 357 now I think I might consider the 686 SSR revolver made by Smith, although the 627s are nice too. The slightly smaller frame fits most people better. Another good one is the 620. The 5-shot J-frames, and the Ruger SP101, are also worthy of consideration although I find them smallish for most purposes other than concealment.......where they definitely shine.

Not wanting to rekindle the old revolver versus semi-auto debate here, I'm just a big fan of the 357 Magnum cartridge and it usually comes chambered in revolvers. Just my .02 worth.

17. Oct 9, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    i have a .357 and a desert eagle that i take with me if i go hunting and camping

18. Oct 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    Menametony

Menametony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 DC Offroad
    Flow Master 40 Series, TRD CAI, Kings 2.5 remote res front and back, All Pro Front bumper, All Pro Skid Plate, PIAA 4" 510 XT SMR, TC UCA's, 265/75/16 WildPeak AT3 on ATX Artillery, LightForce 240 Blitz HID's, WeatherTech Vents and FloorMats, Cobra 19 CB & PA, Maglite mod both driver and passenger, safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, warn 10k winch, PRINSU CabRack, Cali Raised 42" Light Bar, OEM bed mat, softtopper. WeatherTech Mudflaps On order dissent bed rack and retrofits.
    how bout a good ole 12 gauge pump shotty? i mean its gonna be a burden.. but it will stop a bear.. =D its in my toolbox when i go off roading..

19. Oct 12, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    For purely outdoor threats...I would look into 10mm (Glock 20/29) or .357SIG (Glock 31/32).

20. Oct 12, 2009 at 12:20 PM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    Forgot to mention:

If you're carrying this weapon mainly for 4-legged critters, I would use FMJ instead of JHP.

Sure, JHPs are cool and all but when you're up against animals penetration is key.

Products Discussed in

To Top