Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Camp/Off Road Protection

Old 09-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
Camp/Off Road Protection

Looking to buy my first hand gun. Its primary use will be for camping/off road protection. Any recommendations? So far I like the XDs and Glocks. Still trying to decide what caliber to go with as well.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't matter what we think....
Hold and shoot as many guns as you can.... what ever feels best is the gun for you.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
It doesn't matter what we think....
Hold and shoot as many guns as you can.... what ever feels best is the gun for you.
Honestly, I can't really tell much of a difference between the ones I've shot. S&W, XD, Glock. The only real difference I notice is the caliber. This is the reason why I ask for recommendations. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. Provide some suggestions and I'll go out and shot em.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
FuriousGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutFuriousGeorge has a spectacular aura about

FuriousGeorge's Tacoma Gallery
I like glocks, but everyone has different opinions on guns. I own plenty of different guns, and I've carried plenty of different types on duty and off duty, but if I had to pick one gun to take with me on a deserted island, it'd be a glock, hands down. To me, they're like the Toyotas of the handgun world. They're extremely simple, rugged, and reliable. Most Glocks are made up of 34 parts, and that includes the magazine. If you were to count just the major components that made up only the gun, it would be 29 parts. Anyone with half a brain and a diagram can completely disassemble and replace any part they wanted to without having to send it to an armorer or gunsmith.

I've beat the shit out of my glocks. I've shot tens of thousands of rounds without cleanings or lube (Training guns. Not carry guns). I've used them in rain, dropped them in mud, sweated on them, performed thousands of holster presentations, performed thousands of malfunction drills, and they just keep on running. The only thing that's broken on me was the locking block pin and the trigger spring. One Glock 17 in our department went over a million rounds before the frame developed a small crack. We sent it back to Glock and they replaced the frame with no questions asked. BTW, They weren't impressed with 1,000,000+ rounds.

When it comes to caliber I generally suggest picking the largest caliber that you're comfortable with. If you can shoot a .45acp just as accurately as a 9mm, then by all means, get the .45acp. But if you're hands down more accurate with the 9...you know where I'm going with this. A hit with a 9 is better than a miss with a .45.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
I like glocks, but everyone has different opinions on guns. I own plenty of different guns, and I've carried plenty of different types on duty and off duty, but if I had to pick one gun to take with me on a deserted island, it'd be a glock, hands down. To me, they're like the Toyotas of the handgun world. They're extremely simple, rugged, and reliable. Most Glocks are made up of 34 parts, and that includes the magazine. If you were to count just the major components that made up only the gun, it would be 29 parts. Anyone with half a brain and a diagram can completely disassemble and replace any part they wanted to without having to send it to an armorer or gunsmith.

I've beat the shit out of my glocks. I've shot tens of thousands of rounds without cleanings or lube (Training guns. Not carry guns). I've used them in rain, dropped them in mud, sweated on them, performed thousands of holster presentations, performed thousands of malfunction drills, and they just keep on running. The only thing that's broken on me was the locking block pin and the trigger spring. One Glock 17 in our department went over a million rounds before the frame developed a small crack. We sent it back to Glock and they replaced the frame with no questions asked. BTW, They weren't impressed with 1,000,000+ rounds.

When it comes to caliber I generally suggest picking the largest caliber that you're comfortable with. If you can shoot a .45acp just as accurately as a 9mm, then by all means, get the .45acp. But if you're hands down more accurate with the 9...you know where I'm going with this. A hit with a 9 is better than a miss with a .45.
Great post/info. Rep
Old 09-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #7

Quote:

Thanks for the information. I'm definitely going to hit up the shooting range to pin point what caliber I shoot best with.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
protection from what i think is a question you should ask yourself.
Thanks for the info. To answer your question: Anything and everything. From idiots to wild animals.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
FuriousGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutFuriousGeorge has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrujillo63 View Post
Thanks for the info. To answer your question: Anything and everything. From idiots to wild animals.
It's more likely that you're going to get attacked by a biped than a quadruped. I'd worry more about tweakers than a mountain lion.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
learn to shoot and have proper survival techniques.. it wont matter what caliber you have!..go with a 9mm...smaller, more easily concealable, more control, ammo is cheaper, get the right model with the right magazine and you'll carry a greater capacity other then the standard 10 rounds (not legal in cali tho)..

let me know when you go to the range...i been thinking about something myself
Old 09-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Revolver...SW K or L frame...3 or 4 inch barrel.
Much smarter.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
sriley727 will become famous soon enoughsriley727 will become famous soon enough

sriley727's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Glock model 21 (.45 Auto) and I love it. I'm pretty sure one shot will take down any man/animal that gets physical with me. I'd say go as big as you feel comfortable shooting.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
CenTex Honky
drifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drifter379's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'd worry more about tweakers than a mountain lion.
Who me???
Old 09-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriley727 View Post
I've got a Glock model 21 (.45 Auto) and I love it. I'm pretty sure one shot will take down any man/animal that gets physical with me. I'd say go as big as you feel comfortable shooting.
I hate to rain on your parade, but generally that's not the case. There's a huge misconception about caliber and stopping power. If we were to talk about statistics and ballistics, then the .357 magnum would be king, and it is, when it comes to a fight stopper. But that doesn't mean squat unless you're delivering good, accurate hits on your target. In my experience it took more than a few rounds to put down the bad guy. Between another officer and myself, we delivered a total of 6 rounds into our target. Two in his upper left shoulder, one in the left arm, two through the right lung, and one through the heart. We were both using .45ACP. That BG was still in the fight at this point, and he was able to return fire and run to cover/concealment where he expired shortly there after. The goal is immediate incapacitation. Unless you have a computer shot (brain) then more than likely you're going to have to fire multiple rounds. A rifle is a much better tool to end a fight early.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
FuriousGeorge A total post count of 8 and 3 of them were here and very well spoken. Way to go. Thanks for your input here.
Thank you, Sir. I guess I'm more comfortable posting here since I know more about guns than Tacomas. I don't own a Tacoma yet, but I've already learned a lot more than I could of just by browsing the toyota website. Great forum!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #19

Quote:
I hate to rain on your parade, but generally that's not the case. There's a huge misconception about caliber and stopping power. If we were to talk about statistics and ballistics, then the .357 magnum would be king, and it is, when it comes to a fight stopper. But that doesn't mean squat unless you're delivering good, accurate hits on your target. In my experience it took more than a few rounds to put down the bad guy. Between another officer and myself, we delivered a total of 6 rounds into our target. Two in his upper left shoulder, one in the left arm, two through the right lung, and one through the heart. We were both using .45ACP. That BG was still in the fight at this point, and he was able to return fire and run to cover/concealment where he expired shortly there after. The goal is immediate incapacitation. Unless you have a computer shot (brain) then more than likely you're going to have to fire multiple rounds. A rifle is a much better tool to end a fight early.
Wow... I would have thought different. If after that many rounds, the bad guy still had the power to return fire and run for cover, why choose a .45ACP over 9mm? It sounds like the final out come would have been the same with 6 rounds of 9mm as oppose to .45ACP. I would think everyone would be more accurate with a smaller caliber, not to mention it being much cheaper to shoot.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #20
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!
fghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
fghtngsquirrel's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fghtngsquirrel
It also depends on sub-compact vs. full-size, what type of ammunition you're firing (hollow-point, "range ammo", etc.). My XD-9 sub-compact jumps like crazy, as do the Kel-tec .380's. My caliber of personal choice is the .40... not too small, not too big, though again it depends on above factors as well.

Look at $$ and availability of the different calibers as well...can't stress that enough. Before the "gun craze" started late last year, my .223 ammunition for the AR-15 was .26-.30 cents per round, but not anymore! I think you can pick up a 100 rd value pack of 9mm at Wal-mart for $10-15.

I think someone else mentioned a rifle being better, and that's true. I'm assuming you are looking for something that can be concealed?