Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Concealed Handgun License - TX

Old 01-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #21
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Got my CCL about 3 months ago but rarely carry.Nebraska did pass legislation allowing a person to get it but Cities can pass their own laws making it illegal and I live in one of the few.I got it, "because I can".
Best part of the training was conflict avoidance, and be sure to tell the Officer or Paramedics if your pulled over or in an accident.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #22
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Guns are tools. Contrary to popular belief, they do not turn their otherwise levelheaded owners into violent, heartless killers, ready to mow down puppies and babies at the drop of a hat. Firearms teach both self reliance and personal responsibility. Some of the most polite, responsible people i have ever met have been at the range with large caliber weapons in their hands. The sport of shooting teaches discipline and patience. It is an extremely difficult sport, and it can be positive influence in a persons life. Those who argue this have most likely never tried to put 5 shots into a 6" bull at 600 yds., much less even handled a firearm. I have owned firearms for about 15 years now; Ive been raging mad plenty of times since then and it never once crossed my mind to get a gun and start shooting. Dont believe the bull**** you hear on the news, etc. Try it for yourself and make up your own mind. Firearms are to be shot and properly cleaned, not feared.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #23
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
I am not intending to sound like an NRA poster here, but I have to differ with you on this Don. It is a proven fact that states with CCW statuets on the books have a significantly lower rate of "random/oportunistic violent crime." That is not to say lower crime overall or anything like that, and CCW legislation does nothing really to disuade "planned out pre-meditated" crimes, but in states with CCW laws, there is a much lower number of things like muggings, car jackings and the like. Stop and think about it for a minute. Even the most desperate criminal hopped up on whatever usually has enough grey matter left to reason out that the 20 bucks I might have in my wallet is not worth the slug he might catch if I was packin'.

Now of-course, to me all of this is a moot point untill such time as I leave Jersey, as we are next in-line to Cali for stupid and retarted gun laws. And while Jersey claims to have a CCW permit law on the books, it is a defacto ban on CCW because no judge in the history of the state has ever granted one except to off-duty and retired law enforcement.
I believe people should have the right to carry arms but I am saying it's not for me! ! I believe if I were carrying a gun I would do things I would never do otherwise. It would give me a hole new sence of power that I don't need! !!

There should be other ways to clean up the gene pool! !!

Don G
Old 01-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #24
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Every since TX passed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Jackson View Post
Hey guys,

just wondering who all has their CHL. I just got mine here in TX i personally think it is a great idea. so many crazy people out there! you always here about people shooting up restraunts and stuff, even malls!!! crazy shooters are out of control. never hurts to be prepared. anyway, just got mine today, pretty happy about it.

any other CHL owners here?
Had one every since TX got it passed. Plan to keep renewing even though it is now legal to have in the vehicle. Most states we travel to are reciprocal with TX as well. Plan on taking one heck of a motorcycle trip this summer with my brother from MO which just got a CHL. I mention this only because we will end up traveling down highway #1 and #101 in CA during the trip. I plan on carrying a 8 rnd 380 acp PPKS Walther on the person and a 6 rnd S&W 44 mag. in the tourpack for camping in parts of Idaho and Montana. Four legged critters in those parts. I'm leaving the Glock 19 at home because of concern of having a 15 rnd mag in a semi auto in the anti-2nd ammendment Clinton 10 rnd mag states of CA, OR, and WA. I've heard if something happened and the law became involved this would be considered an assault weapon and about as bad as a class III full auto here in TX without the proper tax stamp. Any imput on this. Later
Old 01-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #25
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G View Post
I believe if I were carrying a gun I would do things I would never do otherwise. It would give me a hole new sense of power that I don't need! !!
Does your wife have to lock up the kitchen knives when you come home?

That right there is the biggest myth about firearms. Firearms do not change an individual, they simply bring out what is already there. If you are a psychotic murderer, yeah, you'll start shooting randomly once you get your paws on a gun. If you are a somewhat rational individual, you will understand what you have in your possession and act accordingly.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #26
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
I'd like to carry a non concealed weapon...md makes it hard to get a concealed permit and dont even think of trying to carry one non-concealed....but at the idea of it would only make it worse think about his....you are a robber...you have a gun....you walk in a 7 eleven to rob it... there are 4 customers would you rather see them all un armed or all carrying ?... just ahving the gun avail can make a huge difference between a one sided fight for your life...or no one daring to pull it. I have faced a guy with a gun when I didnt have one (security gaurd only allowed to carry mace and a flashlight) I can tell you he wasnt worried about my mace but my boss's private use 9mm made him lay the gun down (boss had conceal permit) it could have been a very very ugly night for me if he hadnt walked in off duty
Old 01-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #27
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonKs View Post
Does your wife have to lock up the kitchen knives when you come home?

That right there is the biggest myth about firearms. Firearms do not change an individual, they simply bring out what is already there. If you are a psychotic murderer, yeah, you'll start shooting randomly once you get your paws on a gun. If you are a somewhat rational individual, you will understand what you have in your possession and act accordingly.
Well said zonks. I had a few checks done like, background check, polygraph, among other character tests done. Mostly because of the job I was getting. I donít think that a ccw permit is a good idea for a lot of people. If they have a tendency to over react under stress. Like maybe punching holes in the wall when they donít get their way. Having my ccw has actually kept me out of trouble. There has been times since I had it where I walked away from silly fights. I wouldnít want to lose my permit by some guy pressing charges against me. I never like to hear about new gun laws. That to me means that its just one step closer to banning them. But I donít mind laws that keep nut jobs that would use a gun to act out in rage. I just wish the tree huggers could see the difference in that and not target rational people. The bottom line is that the bad guys will be able to get guns no matter what. Even if they all were banned, they still would get them, and there would be more crimes committed in order to get one. Itís a stretch but Last time I checked it wasnít easy to grow a coca plant here in the states, but you can go to any college campus and get cocaine. If there is a market for it the bad guys will get it.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #28
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
When Guns Are Outlawed I Become An OUTLAW

.... true as any statement you will ever hear... 2 gun cabinets full 1 gun safe full and many more planned buying a gun is like money in bank...more laws they come out with to restrict them...more the old ones are worth
Old 01-28-2008, 07:26 AM   #29
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Phantom: Is that NC you're talking about? If so, that sucks. In SC, you can have a loaded pistol in any latched compartment in a vehicle (so long as you meet the qualifications for ownership - 21, not a felon, etc.). Also, the CWP class and test aren't all that difficult here.

As for CWP, I've had one since I could (at age 21), and I too have had a couple of "almost had to" pull my gun out situations. Once was in a movie theater, and the other was when I thought I was about to be involved in a drive-by in Charleston (a friend of mine lives in a very bad part of town).

Thankfully, I've never had to draw my pistol because if I do ever have to, it's already been a very bad day, and it's going to get worse.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #30
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, I see...I saw Carolina Alliance and thought you were still here. Anyway, that certainly sucks...and I can see now why you say that it takes an Act of God to get a CWP there...
Old 01-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #31
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Understandable...but, still, the "not normal" people out there seem to have been in charge for a while now...
Old 01-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #32
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
i have my carry permit and love it. as a person that has been on barrel end of firearm a couple of times, i carry it everywhere that is legal and i try to avoid frequenting places that do not allow firearms. you never know when some jackass is going to try to rob or do worse to you, your family or some innocent person. i think everyone that meets the criteria and training should have a carry permit. it would cut down on crime in my opinion. and as for those who want to take my guns away i say i'm giving them the ammo first

i usually carry at least one of the following:

taurus pt1911
EAA witness p 45
taurus pt145
Old 01-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #33
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
I can't even imagine being so concerned about my safety that I would need to or want to carry a weapon or have one at my bed side.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #34

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdawg25 View Post
I can't even imagine being so concerned about my safety that I would need to or want to carry a weapon or have one at my bed side.
maybe its different in Canada

i live in Memphis, TN #1 for violent crime per capita in the U.S.. obviously the murderers, robbers, rapists, etc have weapons and the police really aren't doing a whole lot to remedy the situation. why can't i have my own weapons to protect myself? it is a proven fact that private citizens get more done vs. the government.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #35
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
crimes happen in "safe" cities too.... i grew up where no one locked their doors and hated it!!! a low crime rate is a false sence of security, crap can go down anywhere any time, if it does, i wanna be ready.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #36
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
maybe its different in Canada

i live in Memphis, TN #1 for violent crime per capita in the U.S.. obviously the murderers, robbers, rapists, etc have weapons and the police really aren't doing a whole lot to remedy the situation. why can't i have my own weapons to protect myself? it is a proven fact that private citizens get more done vs. the government.
Hey man, I didn't say there was anything wrong with having weapons to protect yourself. I was just saying that that is the last thing I think about when I wake up in the morning and before I go to bed. That's why I like it in Canada...we don't worry about that stuff.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #37
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdawg25 View Post
Hey man, I didn't say there was anything wrong with having weapons to protect yourself. I was just saying that that is the last thing I think about when I wake up in the morning and before I go to bed. That's why I like it in Canada...we don't worry about that stuff.
Its because of the free healthcare up there. People need to steal and rob to afford it down here in the states. But I will take expense of healthcare any day in order to be considered a real country with a miltary force more then a few guys throwing snow balls on horses.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #38
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
call for a cop and call for a delivery pizza and see who gets there first ;-D
Tell the cops you have pizza!!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #39

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
Tell the cops you have pizza!!
i thought they preferred donuts
Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #40
Zoom-Zoom

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
Its because of the free healthcare up there. People need to steal and rob to afford it down here in the states. But I will take expense of healthcare any day in order to be considered a real country with a miltary force more then a few guys throwing snow balls on horses.
When did you guys become a real country?