1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good First Pistol?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by MRCapps, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Oct 16, 2009 at 5:00 AM
    cmfranks

cmfranks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Pre-Runner 6in Pro Comp Lift
    BHLM, Pro Comp Skid Plate, AFE Drop in Air Filter, Tint, Pioneer AVH 4000 DVD,Polk Audio 6.5 components, Polk 6.5 co-ax's, Polk Audio 400.1 amp, Polk Audio 500.1 amp, (2) Polk Audio 10 in Momo subs, Mr Marv sub box, Sockmonkey decals, Redline Elite hood struts, Bak Flip tonneau cover, N-Fab Nerf bars, Painted Center Console & Window/Door Lock Panels Black, Amber LED Dome/Map Lights
    Watch out for those Keltec's. I have owned 2 of them and each one jammed after every other shot. great size just not reliable.

I own every Glock they make in the 40 cal. not one jam at all and i have shot them ALOT. XD's are very nice as well though.

2. Oct 16, 2009 at 5:15 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Also stay away from high point. My friends father had his blow up on him after two mags worth of ammo. Blew the barrel out about a half inch from his fingers.

3. Oct 16, 2009 at 5:16 AM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    can't go wrong with springfield or kimber

4. Oct 16, 2009 at 5:49 AM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    I'd vote for a 4" Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum, a 620 or a 686.....the 686SSR is a sweet handgun and is next on my list (right beside a 4" 617 in .22). The 357 is an excellent personal defense round and is even adequate for hunting up to deer-sized game where that is legal, less expensive and lighter recoiling 38 Specials can be used for plinking and target practice, and superbly accurate.

5. Oct 16, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD Off Road.
    G2 bed cover

6. Oct 16, 2009 at 6:05 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD Off Road.
    G2 bed cover
    hey meteoraman i know a dealer in charleston that can get you just about any pistol you want cheaper than anyone i have seen including internet dealers. if you are interested im me.

7. Oct 16, 2009 at 6:22 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    I have no problem with my Kel-tec. It' a conceal gun, not an everyday range shooter.

Other than that, for a first pistol I say go with a .22. Learn how to shoot a smaller caliber, Then step up. Yeah I know, sounds stupid, but it's a great way to learn control, and aim with the little recoil.

I started with a .40 cal. Couldn't shoot it worth a damn. till I got a ruger mark III .22, and used that for a few months.

8. Oct 16, 2009 at 6:28 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    The best advice anyone can give you is to go handle some pistols. Go to the store, the range, or a buddies house. You need to find a gun that feels right in your hand, has a caliber that you can manage, and all fits in your price range. Everyone will tell you their favorite, but the most important thing is to find yours. Anything 9mm and above is a good caliber. 9, .38, .357, .40, .45. All good stopping power. Some better than others, but all good. You need to consider what kind of shooting you will be doing. If you are going to be at the range every week shooting hundreds of rounds, ammo price may be a consideration. If youre going to buy it, put a hundred rounds through to get the feel, then stick it under the matress, then that doesnt matter. The best thing to do is shoot! shoot! shoot! Find the right gun for you. Go to the range, rent some different makes and calibers and see what you like. Ask questions. Most gun shops and ranges have a pretty knowledgable staff that is willing to help. Dont get a brand of gun just because someone says its the best. Find out for yourself what works for you. Good luck and happy shooting!

P.S. Buy a Glock :D

9. Oct 16, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    I vote for SA XD40 SC. very nice gun

10. Oct 18, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    Pitt1552

Pitt1552 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab 4x4

x2, though i'm a fan of the s&w mp, or a good 1911:D

11. Oct 18, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    The End

The End Support our troops!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    Conceal - Keltec, Home - Springfield. But I'm a Beretta fan so I would say maybe a 92FS even though no one is going to agree with me, lol.

12. Oct 18, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    snjkid372

snjkid372 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlantic City
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Prerunner
    i like the glock 23 myself

13. Oct 18, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    ColdZeroBSP

ColdZeroBSP Yo homie, that my briefcase?

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Tewksbury MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC
    console vault, viper remote start, weathertech front and rears
    IMHO, a Glock is the most versatile, reliable, inexpensive and maintenance friendly handgun available. I have owned Sigs, 1911s, Berettas, HKs, SWs and Glocks and the Glocks have never disappointed me.

A good all around choice is the Glock 19. It gives you 15+1 capacity in 9mm, is small enough for concealed carry but big enough to hold comfortably. Glocks are also laughably cheap to buy parts for (in the rare event of a breakage). Mags are also cheap.

9mm will serve as an excellent target round. Throw some 9mm +P or +P+ Hyrda-Shoks in it and you've got 15 rounds of near .357 magnum performance which the Glock can handle with ease.

You can also get .22 conversion kits for it which will let you practice for pennies. Hope this helps, let us know what you decide.

This is my 19 (and 92fs for size comparison) that I refurbished myself. Slide finish is Robar NP3.

[​IMG]

14. Oct 18, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    HK USP40 in .40 SW...da bomb!

I love my gun.

Or a Kimber Custom II .45 ACP with some hornady hollow points (ouch!)

15. Oct 18, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I've never been dissappointed with my Heckler & Koch USP9 I've shot approx 4-5000 rounds through it at tactical matches and never had one failure or blip out of it. I've downloaded ammo for competition and it cycles it fine. I can't say that for the glocks. I barely downloaded a 9mm round and it stove piped in the glock 17. I also have a glock 26 9mm nice concealed carry gun. I have a small frame so the HK sticks out on me for concealed carry but the glock is just right. Reliability wise between the two....I'd trust the HK more but I've also proven it by the amount of rounds I've shot through it. The glock hasn't had anywhere near that amount of rounds throught it. I've shot everything through the HK from downloaded rounds to reduce recoil to +P+ and it works flawlessly. In the end I guess it's just personal preference of what you like. I like HK's they're kinda pricey but in a world of comprimise.....some don't. lol (had to throw that in there)

16. Oct 19, 2009 at 12:25 AM
    MRCapps

MRCapps [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Thanks for all the advice guys!!! I will definetly go shoot some anf figure it out, just wanted to see what others liked so i could get a feel for what is good out there. Thanks and i am sure i will write and tell you all about it!!!:D

17. Oct 19, 2009 at 3:33 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

this is stupid IMO

if you have to draw out your weapon to protect yourself...then youd DAMN WELL be ready to shoot someone

both of my handguns STAY loaded with a round in the chamber AND a full magazine...yes a mag...not a clip

i have both a G22 and a G27...the 27 is my "concealed" carry but i dont try as hard as many to hide it

thats neither here nor there

I dont trust Kel-Tecs...because ive heard of too many people whove experienced jams on the range...if it jams on the range i cannot trust it to fire when i need to protect my life or someone elses

buy a hi-point if you are planning on commiting a crime 1 time with it and want to throw it away...

i also disagree with using a smaller round than what youll be carrying for practice...sure it may be cheaper...but youre not going to get the experience with that particular round's kick etc...practice with what you carry

my practice rounds are always the same caliber and as close to the same grain etc as possible

when i pull that trigger i want to ensure 3 things

1. the gun fires properly
    2. the rounds go where i want them to
    3 i stop the threat

i dont abide by 1 shot 1 kill...i shoot enough bullets to stop the threat...period

lights/lasers are targets

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

do not buy the pistol...shoot it a couple of times...then put it in your nightstand and wait for the need before you shoot it again...

surprisingly criminals are more apt to practice on a weekly/biweekly basis than your avg citizen...

the point of a firearm is to improve your odds of surviving a lethal force attack...make sure you are able to efficiently use it

practice drawing from your concealed carry location...over and over and over until you can do it in your sleep...then do it some more

a gun in an inexperienced hand is nothing more than an expensive brick

18. Oct 19, 2009 at 3:35 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    also...caliber is not really important IMO because a couple of well placed .22 rounds will drop someone quicker than a missed .45 round

19. Oct 19, 2009 at 4:27 AM
    Bassetdad

Bassetdad What if God Smoked Cannabis

Member:
    Harrison, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2001 De-Badged SR5 Access Cab 2.7 / 5m
    Access Tononu Cover AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-in Filter American Mag Wheels Bilstein 5100's Black Billet Grill Clear Taillights Perma-Tech sprayed Kennesaw Mountain Rear Bumper Michelin Tires PIAA Driving Lights PIAA Headlights Piaa Tail Light Bulbs Tinted Windows – 50% Toytech AAL URD Short Shifter Tranny - Mobil 1 Engine - Mobil 1 Custom Three Bike In Bed Rack New Toyota Undercoated Frame Clear LED 3rd Brake Light
    Sig # 226 (40) & my bug Sig 232 (.380)

20. Oct 19, 2009 at 5:08 AM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    Some good info in this thread and some not so good.

1st with the Kel-tec's. My off duty weapon. They are great little carry guns, but they need a few things to make them feed reliable. They need at least 250 rounds through them and if you "limp wrist" it it will jam. I have about 600 through mine-yes ouch- and it eats gold dots, slivertips, xtp's and any other hollow point no problem.

As far as caliber choice goes, I LAUGH at the internet tough guy's that say go large or go home. I'm 5'9" 210, bench 375, squat 640 and I'm not man enough to step infront of a .22. I have seen with my own two eye's the effects of a .22 That being said, get a caliber that you feel comfertable shooting. Something that you can control, and deliver a fast follow up shot with if needed.

The best advice given and i will repeat it. Practice. Build muscle memory.

Good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top