Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Hand Loading

Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
Hand Loading

I am considering having my brother hand load some shells for me for hunting next year. I shoot a Mohawk Model 600 .243 CAL for deer, and a Winchester pre 64 Model 70 in a .270 Cal for Elk.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Black Rock Taco is on a distinguished road
Army: Nat'l guard medic and supply sgt.
Black Rock Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Sell your rifle

Personal attacks will not be tolerated
~Staff.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
TREADING LIGHTLY!
baildavc will become famous soon enough

Name: David
baildavc's Tacoma Gallery
Use your once fired brass so its form fired to your chamber, use a neck sizing dye, experiment with diff powders and bullets until you find a load your rifles likes, i load about 1,000 rounds a month for my .223 and its a great way to really get your rifle shooting well. BTW if you have a .308 I have a load you really should try.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
TREADING LIGHTLY!
baildavc will become famous soon enough

Name: David
baildavc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rock Taco View Post
Easy their guy!
Old 10-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
He'll calm down.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I used to reload rifle ammo, now I only reload for my .44 mag.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
sledbert is on a distinguished road

sledbert's Tacoma Gallery
.243 Win= 42g IMR4350, Fed210 primer & Nosler 95g Balistic Silvertip.

Gets me a 3 shot group @ 100yards =.350" from a stock Tikka 595 & a 5x15 Nightforce.Works for me.
I have heard that a guy should stay with at least a 70g bullet in the .243 any less & the bullets gets too short for good stability...
Old 10-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I used to reload rifle ammo, now I only reload for my .44 mag.
You have a .44 mag? I bet you do want to reload ammo for that...

What .44 mag is it?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
You have a .44 mag? I bet you do want to reload ammo for that...

What .44 mag is it?
Ruger New model Super Black hawk. 10.5" bbl.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Ruger New model Super Black hawk. 10.5" bbl.

That's a very nice gun! Ruger has to be my personal favorite... Every experience I've had with Ruger has been good. Quality firearms.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #14
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
It's a lot cheaper, but good luck finding any primers right now.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #15

Ditto, Super Black hawk. = nice unit.
I have a SW 629 DA, stainless, 6.5" barrel
Old 10-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #16

Quote:

That's a very nice gun! Ruger has to be my personal favorite... Every experience I've had with Ruger has been good. Quality firearms.
Yeah, I like it. Im waiting to take a deer with it one day. Or maybe an Elke if I can get close enough.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #17

FWIW, Im working on some 240 gr. soft point loads for it. I have been shooting 240's at 1600 fps, but the charts show I can go to close to 1700 or more out of my bbl.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #18

We can not hunt with handguns in Canada (illegal), it really sucks. Especially for chichens with the .22 Although I'd be willing to bet that the chicken hunting happens all the time.
I use the 240JHP with...??? I think it's 12g of 800x
Old 10-19-2009, 06:18 AM   #19
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good idea! It's a heck of alot cheaper than buying new rounds...
Generally its a lot cheaper, if you can find the stuff. I reload handgun ammo and the way things are priced right now, it costs just the same if not more than factory ammo. Good luck. Hope it works out for you.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #20
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
It is not so much the cost of the ammo as it is trying to get the ammo. Stores just don't have it, and when they do, it is $40 for a box of good ammo, not the $20 stuff. I do want to play around with different grains and tips also. My brother loads his own, and has most of the stuff needed.

As to the .308, I am trying to find the Mohawk in that caliber. May get a .300 Win Mag first!!

You can hunt with a pistol???? That would be awesome!