1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First pistol? Kel-Tec380?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by GotLift37, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Nov 2, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    SNWMN209

SNWMN209 "Welp...see ya in the shit.."

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner, 3" Top Gun lift, Flux Capasitor
    3" Top Gunz lift Indash DVD Blacked out headlights K&N Intake Exhaust
    I agree.. I also carry the Ruger LCP .380. It was between the Kaltec and the Ruger. When I had them side by side it was no contest. the Ruger is an all around better gun. Not saying the Kaltec isn't, but next to the Ruger it looked like cheap plastic. (i will try and post pics of the Ruger)
    The price sound about right, depending on where you live. Here in East TN, its really hard to find guns like these.. The Ruger was $380. So if I could find one for 250 I would snatch it up. hope this helps..

2. Nov 2, 2009 at 8:25 AM
    EMTaco

EMTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport
    Seat belt chime mod, more yet to come....
    Ok...here goes. It completely depends on your intended application...and your body type...and your price range...and what kind of clothing you wear. I have three handguns which I switch out for carry, completely depending on the situation. My carry guns are a Glock 19, a Glock 27, and a Kel-Tec P3AT. I love my 27 and it is the gun I'd choose to carry any day of the week (usually with the Kel-Tec in my pocket anyway). However, sometimes it's just flat out not practical. I'm almost 6'2'' and skinny. I cannot carry a Glock in slacks and a polo without it printing like hell: which is exactly why I own the P3AT. The Kel-Tec is NOT junk. When Ruger takes the time to COMPLETELY copy a weapon, it can't be that bad. No its not a gun for taking to the range and putting lots of lead downrange. That isn't because it won't hold up to it, it's because the ammo is expensive and it's absolutely not a comfortable gun to put lots of rounds through. The grip is skinny and pounds into your palm every time you pull the trigger. It has a short barrel and is very difficult to shoot accurately beyond 8-10 feet. It is loud. However, none of these detract from its effectiveness in a life or death situation at realistic engagement distances. Per the NYPD, 90% of their LEO involved shootings occurred @ less than 15 feet....thats five yards...thats across the living room. If you are simply looking for something that will be effective in a life or death situation, the Kel-Tec can be fine. However, go into it realizing that it simply WILL NOT have the stopping power of a larger caliber. I carry my .40 when I can...I carry the .380 when I have to. I am a strong believer that it's better to have a peashooter in your pocket than a bazooka in the truck. All that said, the Kel-Tec is not a bad weapon. However, my recommendation would be against it as a FIRST weapon. Reason being: You need to be completely confident and competent before wandering out into society armed. If you try to shoot the bad guy and you shoot the little kid behind him...you've done no one any good. The P3AT is not a good 'learning' gun. If you have a lot of experience, then this point may be moot, but judging from your post and the fact that you don't already own handguns, I'm assuming you don't. Shooting handguns takes time and practice. A mid or full size 9mm, though not nearly as easy to conceal, will serve you much better while learning. It will be more comfortable to shoot, the ammo is cheaper, and you can put thousands of rounds downrange with it. So that's my suggestion...get an easier gun for your first, but don't buy it to carry right off the bat. Buy it to learn. Once you're comfortable and capable, then start looking for a carry weapon, and by no means should you overlook the Kel-Tec for the job.
    Good luck and be safe!
    -Mitch

IMG_0085.jpg

3. Nov 2, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    SNWMN209

SNWMN209 "Welp...see ya in the shit.."

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner, 3" Top Gun lift, Flux Capasitor
    3" Top Gunz lift Indash DVD Blacked out headlights K&N Intake Exhaust
    LOL. yes Ruger may have copied the gun but I would take the copy any day.

4. Nov 2, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    Cheesy Taco

Cheesy Taco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Researching purchase right now!
    I find the gun that best works for self defense is the one that you have. What I mean is if you are uncomfortable carrying a large heavy gun, you wont carry it. Sure, if you have unlimited funds there may be better guns than the Kel-Tec but most of us dont have the funds. Bottom line, find something you can make habbit or carrying. I'd like to carry my AR-15 but it doesnt fit in my pocket.

5. Nov 2, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 [OP] Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    wow thanks everyone for the information. Yes it will be my first handgun. First gun no. I may just go out to a few gun stores with firing range and see what I can do. See if they let people test them or what.

6. Nov 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    ColdZeroBSP

ColdZeroBSP Yo homie, that my briefcase?

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Tewksbury MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC
    console vault, viper remote start, weathertech front and rears
    The only thing Keltecs are good for is hitting yourself in the head while you scream "I should've bought a Glock!"

7. Nov 2, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    Very good advice and info. You saved me some typing.

I'm LEO and I carry my P3AT off duty. I got it way before the LCP was around. It's not a beginners gun by any means. If you "limp wrist it" it will jam. It's also heavy on the recoil.
    I can afford "nicer" guns but why? It goes bang when pull the trigger. It is stupid easy to conceal. I know PLENTY of guy's with nice xd's, glocks, kahr's, sigs and they just leave them in the glove box.

Oh, run at least 250 rounds through the gun after you get it- per Keltek. Mine fed like a champ after I did.

8. Nov 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Good response...Kel-tec is fine for what it is.
    What it is ...a belly gun...stick in a perps belly and empty magazine.
    Repeat as necessary.
    IT is not a training or sporting firearm.
    Miserable after about 10 shots.
    Function documented on websites has been fine.
    .22 is always a place to start, even for experienced shooters who want to train, warm-up.

9. Nov 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I still contend that you get what you pay for. If the pistol is for self defense (when it really counts), I'd want something that I could literally trust my life with. I just wouldn't ever trust my life to a Kel Tec. I'd rather have a small revolver for a pocket gun If I couldn't carry my XD.

10. Nov 2, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    EMTaco

EMTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport
    Seat belt chime mod, more yet to come....
    I completely agree I'd rather have a snubbie loaded down with .38+P than the .380...and like I said in my post, I carry my Kel-Tec when I can't carry my Glock. The huge advantage of the Kel-Tec though is that in a pocket holster, it looks like a wallet...even in dress pants...which is a far cry from possible with a wheelgun. If telling everyone I was armed wasn't an issue, like someone else said, I'd just walk around with my AR slung over my shoulder!

11. Nov 3, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    tiger955

tiger955 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City
    Vehicle:
    06 Access 4WD
    trd suspension
    I personally prefer a double action revolver for SD and carry a 357 snubbie. I have used/checked out quite a few autos also. To me, the Bersa Thunder 380 is a much better gun, about the same size and price as the Keltec, and personally find the Sig small frame (can't recall model #) much nicer, a lot more expensive though. For an inexpensive, dependable compact I would highly recommend the Bersa.

12. Nov 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  13. Nov 6, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    Terrier

Terrier Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 2.7
    I like my Keltec .380; however, I would not recommend it as your first and only pistol. It fits my needs perfectly; but, it is not my only pistol. Bottom line, in my opinion it is not a pistol for the novice.

14. Nov 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    SaltySteve

SaltySteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner
    Agreed. I purchased a Kahr P380 for a front pocket carry and am super glad I did. The gun shoots sweet and is well made.

I originally was looking at the Kel Tec also but couldn't get past how cheap it felt in my hand. I loved how small and flat it was but that was it.

Just my $.02

15. Nov 6, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    i am a big fan of taurus. I was shooting my friends .357 with .38 and .357 in it and its a damn good gun. Alittle larger for a carry gun but look into the .38 special ultra light and those lines and they are great carry guns.

Products Discussed in

To Top