1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

passed on 6 1/2 deer tonight

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by wildjerseyfirefighter, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Nov 7, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter [OP] I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    this is my story for the tonights bowhunting adventure..

So I was running a bit late getting out of work, so i decided to hunt this field on the other side of the woods..I get into the woods and set by 330, mind you im standing next to a small pine tree in my 3d suit, no treestand or anything to sit on. Well, after about 10 mins on kneeling, I couldnt take it so I stood up. Next thing I know there was 2 deer to my left comming out of the weeds.I ranged the biggest one at 22 yards, hoping for a buck but no luck. They ate and wandered around for a bit, and the little one must have been a button buck, because it kept rearing up on its legs behind the big doe, and smacking her in the hind quarters(tenderizing..lol)..They wandered in front of me(10 yards) and over to my right. If I would have picked my bow up and swung to the right, I probably could have hit her in the nose. They never spooked or saw me(Im a firm believer in the 3d suit now more then ever), While im standing no more then 7 yards from this big doe, were looking eye to eye and shes not spooked at all. Me on the other hand, is about to drop a load in my pants because I dont know if she can smell the doe pee I had spilled in my pack, which was open, on the ground next to me, earlier last month, and wondering if shes going to attack. She stomped the ground a couple of times, and her and the little button buck walked up the open hill. I blew at her, and she stopped and looked at me, and walked away casually. I decided to stay another 1/2 hr, and saw another 4 deer on that hill, none in bow range, and all does. On the way out, i have to climb up a small hill throu some tall cat tail looking things, and I could hear one rustaling around in there also, so thats the 1/2. I have NEVER been so close to a live deer before, and it was a wild experience with none of them being able to wind me. I believe im doing good for scent controll now also.(sprinkle baking soda on the clothes, and spray with scent killer).

What a night to have a camera

2. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    damn Joe, that's a pretty cool. Nothing like being that close to the action and not get busted.

3. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Damn Joe, you just know there's a big guy out there waiting for you. He'll show up.

4. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    he already did, and apparently is getting mounted on the wall...

5. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    Sure is something to see them that close. I have been in similar situation, with a doe within feet of me. Try as I might, I could not paint the horns on it!

James

6. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    oldtacomaguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I know the feeling of getting that close. I'm not a hunter, but I enjoy hiking in the woods. I was in Maine a few years ago and I got within 10 feet of 2 full size bull moose before I saw them. I just froze where I was and they didn't seem to care about me at all, just kept eating leaves. I just walked off real slow. Heart rate got up pretty high that day!

7. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    were you wearing your brown shorts that day?:D:D

8. Nov 7, 2009 at 5:59 PM
    oldtacomaguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    I couldn't believe how big those things were. Yeah, needed a change after that:eek:

9. Nov 7, 2009 at 9:43 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter [OP] I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

Lol, yup..he'll be on the wall in like march:D

Ive got all next month to take a doe, which is why i dont want to take one now...But if a big enough one came out, I MAY stab her..I just dont like to shoot a doe with a fawn:(

10. Nov 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great story Joe. Nothing like getting close and personal.:D

Products Discussed in

To Top