1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 Bucks in an Hour...

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by cjbs2003, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Nov 22, 2009 at 10:46 PM
    cjbs2003

cjbs2003 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
    Brand spankin' new, none yet...
    It had been a rough season for me... Didn't get a single shot at a shooter buck all through the archery seasons that I hunted in Virginia and Pennsylvania.

I finally did some firearms hunting in Virginia near my father's house on the Northern Neck. My dad secured permission to hunt a new 70 some acre property owned by an 86 year old woman. She hasn't given permission for anyone to hunt that property in over 10 years. My dad worked some magic with her! The land is surrounded by a brackish water creek on its east side, an unharvested soybean field on its south side, a road on its west side and a harvested corn field on its north side. It's isolated from the other wood lots which makes it a little oasis from all the deer hunters who run their deer dogs in the area. It appears once the dogs start running the deer take refuge in this woodlot.

Anyways, Friday was the first time my father and I got a chance to hunt it... After some speed scouting as I slowly hunted my way in I was blown away at the deer sign. I crossed deer trail after deer trail that looked like cattle trails! I found a scrape surrounded on 3 sides by thick blow downs and swampy areas. This scrape was huge, almost the size of a car hood. I back off it 40 yards and set up. It was 2:30, a little later than I like to get settled in, but I let the woods quiet down. At 3:30 I let out a few estrous bleats but nothing came in to them. Around 4:15 I caught movement and saw a decent 6 point coming my way. He stopped right at the scrape and began to tear it up... As I looked at him through the scope on my Remington 870, I decided I was gonna take him. I popped the safety off, lined up the crosshairs and let a Remington Buckhammer slug fly. The buck dropped in his tracks. I got up and went over to him. I drug him back to where I had been sitting and said, heck I got an hour of legal shooting light left... I can shoot another deer legally today and I still have 2 buck tags left. Why stop now?

I set back up and waited, but not for long... About 25 minutes later I caught movement on the same trail. This time I could see it was a fine looking 8 point buck. He came right in to the same scrape and began to tear it up. I put the scope on him and decided to take him. I popped the safety off, lined the crosshairs up and pulled the trigger. The buck did a mule kick and ran about 10 yards towards me and then stopped broadside. Not wanting to wait and see just how good my shot was. I pumped another round in, lined up the crosshairs and let another round fly, dropping the buck in his tracks...

Amazing how fast your deer hunting season can change! It looks like this 70 some acre property is going to turn into one honey hole...

The 6 point:
    [​IMG]

The 8 point:
    [​IMG]

Together:
    [​IMG]

2. Nov 23, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    alteredillusions

alteredillusions Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wichita KS
    Vehicle: