Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Optics for AR?

Old 11-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
IndigoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Optics for AR?

What optics do you guys have on your AR's?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
StaticFilter's Tacoma Gallery
CMore and an Aimpoint Comp M4
Old 11-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
EoTech
Old 11-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
12Btaco is a name known to all12Btaco is a name known to all12Btaco is a name known to all12Btaco is a name known to all12Btaco is a name known to all12Btaco is a name known to all

Army: Currently serving
Name: Danny
12Btaco's Tacoma Gallery
EOtech on one and Aimpoint M68 on the other
Old 11-26-2009, 03:20 AM   #6
RWS_350MAG is a jewel in the roughRWS_350MAG is a jewel in the roughRWS_350MAG is a jewel in the roughRWS_350MAG is a jewel in the rough

Name: Don
RWS_350MAG's Tacoma Gallery
Trijicon TA-01 on my 20" A-1.
Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x36 MR/T on my SPR.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44
See it, hit it.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
ashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of light
ashjwilliams's Tacoma Gallery
What are you going to do with it? I have an Eotech on mine but when plinking steel between 50 and 250 yards I actually prefer and am more effective with iron sights.

I like the Trijicon ACOGs though.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
ashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of light
ashjwilliams's Tacoma Gallery
BTW if you are purchasing Botach Tactical is running 15% discount right now; note that they typically already have extremely good prices. The only problem I have with them is sometimes they take awhile to ship (I remember my friend waited something like 2-3 months for either an ACOG or Leopold Mark 4, I can't recall which) but as long as you are not in a hurry its a great deal.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
kiddwvman is just really nicekiddwvman is just really nicekiddwvman is just really nicekiddwvman is just really nicekiddwvman is just really nice
Army:
Name: leon
kiddwvman's Tacoma Gallery
EoTech 552
Old 11-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
air.177 is on a distinguished road
air.177's Tacoma Gallery
I run an Aimpoint M4 and 3x magnifier on my 16" gun, and a Burris 1-4 on my 18" gun.

Optic selection really boils down to personal preference, and depends greatly on your intended application.
For non magnified "reflex" sights, the big players are Aimpoint and Eotech. Aimpoints are absolutely rugged and reliable, requiring practically no preventive maintenance, whereas Eotechs go through batteries much quicker than Aimpoints, and can become finnicky over time and through hard use but some folks find the EoTech Reticle significantly faster and more accurate than the Aimpoint.

For Magnified optics, the ACOG family of fixed magnification optics are utterly bombproof, but some folks don't care for the reticles while any of the low power variable optics (Burris, Trijicon, Leupold, Meopta, NightForce, S&B) allow the best of both worlds so to speak, with the speed of the low end magnification with the added benefit of magnification, should you wish to stretch your legs a bit.

Just my $.02, YMMV.

Good times,
Blake
Old 11-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
The Sausage King of Chicago
Abe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, National Park Service
Abe Froman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by air.177 View Post
Eotechs... can become finnicky over time and through hard use
This is the opposite of everything I've ever heard. Could you please back it up?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
EOTech on a bushy, Aimpoint M68 on a RRA, and an ACOG on a DPMS. Not impressed with the EOTech on AR's so I may put it back on a tactical shot gun (I think the reticle is too busy for CQB)
Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #16
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by air.177 View Post
, whereas Eotechs go through batteries much quicker than Aimpoints, and can become finnicky over time and through hard use
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
This is the opposite of everything I've ever heard. Could you please back it up?
X2. ??? I have yet to hear 1 complaint on the EoTech sights....
Old 12-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #19
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
X2. ??? I have yet to hear 1 complaint on the EoTech sights....
I'm not trying to be a smart ass; I don't know how else to show you that I just googled this and found the following.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=eotech+battery+life <<<again don't mean anything by this not trying to be a smart ass

These are some of the threads on shooting forums that came up when I looked.

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-187.html
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...p/t-53363.html
http://eotech-inc.com/news_upgrades.php

http://eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=20&cat=2
look at the specs on battery life

http://www.aimpoint.com/o.o.i.s?id=4...product_id=112
look at the specs for battery life

The eotech has a typical battery life of 1,000 hours vs aimpoint at 50,000 at a brightness setting of 7/10.

I personally have heard people say the same thing about Eotech running through batteries faster too. But consider the fact that AimPoint is only a dot, not a Halo sight. It would stand to reason that a Halo sight takes more energy to produce many little lights vs a single dot.

Hope this helped some...

Again not trying to be a smart ass with the let me google it for you shit, just wanted to show there were many conversation about this topic out there.

Oh and no I'm not biased when I say Aimpoint is the shiz...