1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coin Tray Holster Mod

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by TexasBlue, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Nov 29, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Sport, Speedway Blue
    Billet Grill, Roll-Top Cover, LED Interior Lights, HIDs, Foglight On Mod, Coin Tray Holster Mod
    I recently picked up a Kel-Tec PF-9 to conceal-carry, mostly for in the truck. I've been trying to find a good place to keep the gun that a) is out of 'plain sight' (per Texas laws) and b) I can get to in a single motion without my hands being seen by a would-be carjacker. These criteria eliminate a number of places (console, glove box, door pocket, etc) as they either require too much time to access, or can be seen through one of the windows.

Looking at my pistol, I realized it was smaller than the coin tray in height and width and just might fit with some modding. I took to the coin tray with a razor blade (wish I had a dremel for this part) and by removing a bit of plastic from the tray and a bit from the dash, I was able to get it to fit with no visible changes from the cab. Note, if the gun was any thicker, I don't think this would work, so I'm guessing the sub compact Glocks, etc won't work in this position. The Kel-Tec is one of the smallest 9mm semi-autos out there, so no promises that this will work with bigger guns. The .380 subcompact crowd shouldn't have a problem though. Ok, without further ado, here's the pictures:

1) Trim plastic from the coin tray to fit your pistol:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2) Trim A bit of plastic from the bottom of the opening in the dash:
    [​IMG]

3) Put the coin tray back in and test fit
    [​IMG]

4) All done
    Open
    [​IMG]

Closed
    [​IMG]

2. Nov 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    Nice! :thumbsup: This is where I keep my knife, since I'm not old enough to carry a firearm

MadDaddy likes this.
  3. Nov 29, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Nice writeup. I keep a weapon that isn't comprehendable to most men in that location.

4. Nov 29, 2009 at 6:02 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
  5. Nov 29, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    Billet Grill, Roll-Top Cover, LED Interior Lights, HIDs, Foglight On Mod, Coin Tray Holster Mod
    Thanks for the comments... it was one of those necessity mods and is more function over form behind the scenes. I'd like to clean it all up with a dremel and possibly line the tray with some felt to keep it from scuffing the gun.

I didn't have a lot to lose since it'd only take a new OEM coin tray to take it back to stock if I effed it up. Glad you guys like it!

MadDaddy and TacoLou like this.
  6. Nov 29, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    nice mod and write up! +1

7. Nov 29, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    Please do share! *let the speculation begin*

Taser? Pepper spray? Moltov cocktail made using fingernail polish remover and a tampon?

8. Nov 29, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch

9. Nov 29, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    focotacoma

focotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue 4x4 TRD off-road
    Im getting there......
    what if your gun went off accidentally wouldnt that shoot right in your foot region?

10. Nov 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    If the gun fired while in the coin tray, yeah, I'd pretty much be shooting myself in the foot (rare chance to use this phrase literally).

However, even though I do keep a full clip in the gun, I don't keep a cartridge in the chamber. So for the gun to fire, it would first have to somehow load a cartridge on its own. Given the spring rate of the slide, this just can't happen regardless of how much jostling, etc occurs. Keeping the chamber empty also keeps me from discharging the gun when pulling it out if its hiding spot. The same rules apply as if I were wearing it in a belt holster.

Now if I was carrying it in my sweat pants to 'da club, I'd definitely keep one in the chamber.

dawgn86, fökai671 and jcody50 like this.
  11. Nov 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Well done!

12. Nov 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    EMTaco

EMTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport
    Seat belt chime mod, more yet to come....
    Very nice work!!! Just wondering though...You mentioned wanting a place with a quick draw for a situation like a carjacking. Are you really going to be able to discretely chamber a round??? I know this is a topic that gets debated all the time, and I'm really not trying to open up another debate here...but I'd really consider one in the pipe for this carry situation. Below are some pics of my setup...its a fobus paddle under the column with my Glock 27. Its quick and subtle.

IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg

13. Nov 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:

I see your point about keeping one in the chamber... balancing safety of keeping it unloaded with quickness of response, it's a tough call. If the Kel-Tec had the grip safety that your Glock (and my XD-45) has, I think I'd be more willing to keep a cartridge in the chamber, but it doesn't. It actually doesn't have a manual safety of any sort (other than a hammer block actuated by the trigger and a mag disconnect). But both of these would be bypassed if I pulled the trigger while trying to remove the weapon from the holster.

I like your mounting location a lot and actually kept mine in the exact same place for a couple of days before coming up with this location. The only problem I have with that spot is that I could see it through the front windows. I know it's probably me being paranoid and it's easier for me to see since I'm 'looking' for it, but I wanted it to be completely out of sight. I'm of the school of thought to 'don't give 'em a reason' to break in to the truck. That being said, had this not worked out, that's exactly where mine would be stored.

14. Nov 30, 2009 at 5:09 AM
    EMTaco

EMTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport
    Seat belt chime mod, more yet to come....
  15. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:10 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    EMTaco, why are you posting a link to this thread? Anyway.... The way I look at it, and I agree that there is much debate, If you are going to carry, carry one in the chamber. The chances that you will be aware of your threat with enough time to chamber a round are slim. Most instances where you need to draw your weapon are instant reaction to a threat. I wouldnt want to pull a gun on someone and not be able to shoot instantly. If there isnt one in the chamber, its like not having it loaded at all. Just my thoughts. Nice mod by the way.

16. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:37 AM
    Dawayne409

Dawayne409 Master Airman of the Navy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dawayne
    Norfolk, Va
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 Prerunner SR5 Stepside
    Glassworks Front Fenders, SAW Racerunner Coilovers up front, Awesome mangled up back bumper, Tailgate is currently MIA.
    Yeah man great mod, creative as hell. When I'm not going on base I just keep mine on the seat but this has got my wheels turning. I keep 2 blanks right up top for those idiots, it'll get them running and give me time to see if i need to fire a third. Works for me. I'm thinking ashtray for my first gen now. Nice write up!

17. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Clever and Creative. rep for you sirrr.

18. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    My thought was that I could chamber a round in the motion of pulling it out to aim, and I have practiced that a few times. I wouldn't be one of those Hollywood 'draw and aim the gun, then chamber a round to show you're really serious' douchebags.

I'm still thinking through this but I'm leaning towards agreeing with you guys about keeping one in the hole...

19. Nov 30, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    bryan83taco

bryan83taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawai’i
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport 4x4
    The first two rounds are blanks?:eek: Those first two rounds could be the difference between life and death. Its your choice but IMO F&^K That.

Oh by the way nice mod to the coin tray. I also like the fobus holster under the steering column. I'll probably go that route. I don't think I can get a 1911 to fight in the coin tray.

20. Nov 30, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Nicely done Kellan.

TacoLou likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top