Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Coin Tray Holster Mod

Old 11-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Dreamer
TexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud of

Name: Kellan
TexasBlue's Tacoma Gallery
Coin Tray Holster Mod

I recently picked up a Kel-Tec PF-9 to conceal-carry, mostly for in the truck. I've been trying to find a good place to keep the gun that a) is out of 'plain sight' (per Texas laws) and b) I can get to in a single motion without my hands being seen by a would-be carjacker. These criteria eliminate a number of places (console, glove box, door pocket, etc) as they either require too much time to access, or can be seen through one of the windows.

Looking at my pistol, I realized it was smaller than the coin tray in height and width and just might fit with some modding. I took to the coin tray with a razor blade (wish I had a dremel for this part) and by removing a bit of plastic from the tray and a bit from the dash, I was able to get it to fit with no visible changes from the cab. Note, if the gun was any thicker, I don't think this would work, so I'm guessing the sub compact Glocks, etc won't work in this position. The Kel-Tec is one of the smallest 9mm semi-autos out there, so no promises that this will work with bigger guns. The .380 subcompact crowd shouldn't have a problem though. Ok, without further ado, here's the pictures:

1) Trim plastic from the coin tray to fit your pistol:

2) Trim A bit of plastic from the bottom of the opening in the dash:

3) Put the coin tray back in and test fit

4) All done
Open

Closed
Old 11-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! This is where I keep my knife, since I'm not old enough to carry a firearm
Old 11-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Dreamer
TexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud of

Thanks for the comments... it was one of those necessity mods and is more function over form behind the scenes. I'd like to clean it all up with a dremel and possibly line the tray with some felt to keep it from scuffing the gun.

I didn't have a lot to lose since it'd only take a new OEM coin tray to take it back to stock if I effed it up. Glad you guys like it!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
nice mod and write up! +1
Old 11-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
Nice writeup. I keep a weapon that isn't comprehendable to most men in that location.
Please do share! *let the speculation begin*

Taser? Pepper spray? Moltov cocktail made using fingernail polish remover and a tampon?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlue View Post
Please do share! *let the speculation begin*

Taser? Pepper spray? Moltov cocktail made using fingernail polish remover and a tampon?
what if your gun went off accidentally wouldnt that shoot right in your foot region?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by focotacoma View Post
what if your gun went off accidentally wouldnt that shoot right in your foot region?
If the gun fired while in the coin tray, yeah, I'd pretty much be shooting myself in the foot (rare chance to use this phrase literally).

However, even though I do keep a full clip in the gun, I don't keep a cartridge in the chamber. So for the gun to fire, it would first have to somehow load a cartridge on its own. Given the spring rate of the slide, this just can't happen regardless of how much jostling, etc occurs. Keeping the chamber empty also keeps me from discharging the gun when pulling it out if its hiding spot. The same rules apply as if I were wearing it in a belt holster.

Now if I was carrying it in my sweat pants to 'da club, I'd definitely keep one in the chamber.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Well done!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #12
EMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud of
Name: Mitch
EMTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlue View Post
If the gun fired while in the coin tray, yeah, I'd pretty much be shooting myself in the foot (rare chance to use this phrase literally).

However, even though I do keep a full clip in the gun, I don't keep a cartridge in the chamber. So for the gun to fire, it would first have to somehow load a cartridge on its own. Given the spring rate of the slide, this just can't happen regardless of how much jostling, etc occurs. Keeping the chamber empty also keeps me from discharging the gun when pulling it out if its hiding spot. The same rules apply as if I were wearing it in a belt holster.

Now if I was carrying it in my sweat pants to 'da club, I'd definitely keep one in the chamber.
Very nice work!!! Just wondering though...You mentioned wanting a place with a quick draw for a situation like a carjacking. Are you really going to be able to discretely chamber a round??? I know this is a topic that gets debated all the time, and I'm really not trying to open up another debate here...but I'd really consider one in the pipe for this carry situation. Below are some pics of my setup...its a fobus paddle under the column with my Glock 27. Its quick and subtle.
Attached Thumbnails
Coin Tray Holster Mod-img_0095.jpg   Coin Tray Holster Mod-img_0096.jpg   Coin Tray Holster Mod-img_0097.jpg  
Old 11-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTaco View Post
Very nice work!!! Just wondering though...You mentioned wanting a place with a quick draw for a situation like a carjacking. Are you really going to be able to discretely chamber a round??? I know this is a topic that gets debated all the time, and I'm really not trying to open up another debate here...but I'd really consider one in the pipe for this carry situation. Below are some pics of my setup...its a fobus paddle under the column with my Glock 27. Its quick and subtle.

I see your point about keeping one in the chamber... balancing safety of keeping it unloaded with quickness of response, it's a tough call. If the Kel-Tec had the grip safety that your Glock (and my XD-45) has, I think I'd be more willing to keep a cartridge in the chamber, but it doesn't. It actually doesn't have a manual safety of any sort (other than a hammer block actuated by the trigger and a mag disconnect). But both of these would be bypassed if I pulled the trigger while trying to remove the weapon from the holster.

I like your mounting location a lot and actually kept mine in the exact same place for a couple of days before coming up with this location. The only problem I have with that spot is that I could see it through the front windows. I know it's probably me being paranoid and it's easier for me to see since I'm 'looking' for it, but I wanted it to be completely out of sight. I'm of the school of thought to 'don't give 'em a reason' to break in to the truck. That being said, had this not worked out, that's exactly where mine would be stored.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 AM   #14
EMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud ofEMTaco has much to be proud of
Name: Mitch
EMTaco's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gun...lster-mod.html
Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #15
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
EMTaco, why are you posting a link to this thread? Anyway.... The way I look at it, and I agree that there is much debate, If you are going to carry, carry one in the chamber. The chances that you will be aware of your threat with enough time to chamber a round are slim. Most instances where you need to draw your weapon are instant reaction to a threat. I wouldnt want to pull a gun on someone and not be able to shoot instantly. If there isnt one in the chamber, its like not having it loaded at all. Just my thoughts. Nice mod by the way.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #16
Master Airman of the Navy
Dawayne409 is just really niceDawayne409 is just really niceDawayne409 is just really niceDawayne409 is just really nice

Navy: STRKGRP 10, DESRON 26, CVN 75
Name: Dawayne
Dawayne409's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah man great mod, creative as hell. When I'm not going on base I just keep mine on the seat but this has got my wheels turning. I keep 2 blanks right up top for those idiots, it'll get them running and give me time to see if i need to fire a third. Works for me. I'm thinking ashtray for my first gen now. Nice write up!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #17
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Clever and Creative. rep for you sirrr.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #18
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NraFan View Post
Most instances where you need to draw your weapon are instant reaction to a threat. I wouldnt want to pull a gun on someone and not be able to shoot instantly. If there isnt one in the chamber, its like not having it loaded at all.
My thought was that I could chamber a round in the motion of pulling it out to aim, and I have practiced that a few times. I wouldn't be one of those Hollywood 'draw and aim the gun, then chamber a round to show you're really serious' douchebags.

I'm still thinking through this but I'm leaning towards agreeing with you guys about keeping one in the hole...
Old 11-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #19
bryan83taco is on a distinguished road
Army: SSG, HSC 3/7 SFG (A)
bryan83taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawayne409 View Post
Yeah man great mod, creative as hell. When I'm not going on base I just keep mine on the seat but this has got my wheels turning. I keep 2 blanks right up top for those idiots, it'll get them running and give me time to see if i need to fire a third. Works for me. I'm thinking ashtray for my first gen now. Nice write up!
The first two rounds are blanks? Those first two rounds could be the difference between life and death. Its your choice but IMO F&^K That.

Oh by the way nice mod to the coin tray. I also like the fobus holster under the steering column. I'll probably go that route. I don't think I can get a 1911 to fight in the coin tray.