Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

S&W M&P vs. SA XD

View Poll Results: Which 9mm?
Springfield Armory XD Service Model 190 58.64%
Smith & Wesson M&P 134 41.36%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #41
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Gun Tests magazine has done a few different reviews of both, and they like them both, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #42
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
make sure you get Hollow points dont want whoever you are shooting to get back up
Or you can go with a .45ACP.

Personally, I like my 1911 better than either of the two here. But the next one I get will be the XDM.

Any S&W auto I have fired has felt cheap and nothing I want. Namely the Sigma in .40 S&W.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #43
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
Or you can go with a .45ACP.

Personally, I like my 1911 better than either of the two here. But the next one I get will be the XDM.

Any S&W auto I have fired has felt cheap and nothing I want. Namely the Sigma in .40 S&W.
first handgun is going to be a 9mm. ammo is cheaper and i'll be learning.
once i am comfortable with that, i'll look into going bigger cal.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #44
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post
first handgun is going to be a 9mm. ammo is cheaper and i'll be learning.
once i am comfortable with that, i'll look into going bigger cal.
In all seriousness, whatever you do get, make damn sure it is what YOU want.

XDM. That is all.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #45
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In all seriousness, whatever you do get, make damn sure it is what YOU want.

XDM. That is all.

well, before today, i was sold on the xd but wanted to look at similar guns, like the glock 17. but the M&P was nice and had never really looked at it before today. in all honesty, i don't really know anything about smith&wesson handguns, especially their polymers

however, when talking to my dad, i mentioned that the xds were made by springfield armory, the same company that made the m1 rifles. to which he (retired military) responded, "the M1s were indestructable, that's the best rifle ever made"
Old 12-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #46

Quote:

well, before today, i was sold on the xd but wanted to look at similar guns, like the glock 17. but the M&P was nice and had never really looked at it before today. in all honesty, i don't really know anything about smith&wesson handguns, especially their polymers

however, when talking to my dad, i mentioned that the xds were made by springfield armory, the same company that made the m1 rifles. to which he (retired military) responded, "the M1s were indestructable, that's the best rifle ever made"
When they tested the original XD's they likened them to a Glock. They are tough, Dad just got the .40 XDM and Mom has the 9mm XDM. Both are put together very well. I was looking at the M&P and they are not a bad gun either. But I just like everything Springfield.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #48
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
Let's hear why. It's been around over 100 years without any reputation for failure whatsoever.

Because it feels weird to me. It is no doubt one of the best designs in the world, and I have wanted to like them in the past, and shot them, BUt...They just dont feel right to me. Something about the grip safety part, doesnt feel right in the web of my hand......
Old 12-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #50
p229 will become famous soon enough
p229's Tacoma Gallery
Chiming in for the first time... just thought I'd offer my honest two cents. Can't associate the M1 with the XD since the XD is a Croatian gun... but yes, both are pretty rock solid. XDm is just the turbocharged version of it and is in every respect superior to the original, but in the end is still more of the same. The M&P is a little top heavy and mechanical, but the XD is not much different. I'd trust both but I'd purchase neither.

There are a lot of great deals to be had these days and there are an abundance of choices besides the two you chose. You must have had a reason for choosing those two and that has got to be respected... but I thought I'd offer up consideration of the Sig Pro SP2022 and the FNH FNP-9. Both of those guns I own and believe to be the two best polymer framed pistols available in that caliber and price range. They both provide excellent ergonomics and balance, segment leading accuracy, and well-known reliability. The Sig has a high bore axis but still reliably aims and hits. I've basically tried them all and sold most of them, but I decided to hold onto these two. I don't want to be the annoying douchebag that ruins the mood, but I just wanted to make sure you got a little bit of hype-filtering. The caveat to these two choices is that there is no safety... but I carry my (.40s&w) Sig everyday and I don't believe in safeties. Double-action is all the safety you need. Just so you know you're not talking to an airsoft-douche, I am in the industry. Don't believe the hype... the S&W M&P15 is made by... Thompson Center. The Remington ACR was designed by Magpul. Gun brands are like a box of chocolates. In the end, you've got two good choices there. I hope you enjoy your new pistol no matter what you choose!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #51
ashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of light
ashjwilliams's Tacoma Gallery
Choosing between the M&P and XD is a matter of preference only.

I have extensively handled and fired the Glock 17, Springfield XDsc 9mm (own this), Springfield XDm 9mm (own this), S&W M&P 9mm, and an H&K P30 9mm (own this). I can't comment on polymer 9mm offerings from FNH, Sig Sauer, or CZ.

My recommendation is to go glock if you like the glock ergonomics at all. Otherwise my favorite range gun from the above is the XDm 9mm. My carry gun is the HK P30. The ergo's on both fit me very well, they both track very well for me during rapid fire, and they both have a nice balance (my XDm has a weighted guide rod and extended magazines though; from the factory I too would say that it feels a little "top heavy"). You really need to get your hands on and preferably even shoot all of the above though!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #52
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
IndigoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I do....soorry....
I consider it a major con as well. In a life or death scenario, you lose alot of your motor functioning skills. What if you got shot in the right arm and had to shoot with the left? Could you be SURE that you had that stupid grip "safety" pressed in fully? If you lose function of a finger or two because of a fight, could you still depress that grip "safety"? It's a matter of preference. Glock.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #53
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoTaco View Post
I consider it a major con as well. In a life or death scenario, you lose alot of your motor functioning skills. What if you got shot in the right arm and had to shoot with the left? Could you be SURE that you had that stupid grip "safety" pressed in fully? If you lose function of a finger or two because of a fight, could you still depress that grip "safety"? It's a matter of preference. Glock.
You obviously have never hear of (or held) the 1911. There is no basis in reality for your argument. Probably one of the most ignorant posts in this thread.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #54
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
You obviously have never hear of (or held) the 1911. There is no basis in reality for your argument. Probably one of the most ignorant posts in this thread.
Have shot kimbers and springfield 1911's and hate the grip safety. As far as ignorant, i'd say far from it. Have had both, have seen the grip safety fail to engage properly when not completely in someone's hand, and prefer glock. So yes, there is plenty of reality. if you want a range gun, the grip safety is fine. if you want a multipurpose gun, i'd go glock. matter of preference.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #55
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yeah...Im very Anti Safety myself....
Quote:
yeah, the only safety is YOU (ie, equates to trigger discipline, and thus, trigger safety)
but i like the grip safety and after holding the xd, its like its not there. and there is no way you could grab the gun and not depress the grip safety and still be able to fire it, unless you were trying to fire the gun with one finger and nothing else.
I think Chris was speaking in general.. Just look at his thumbs.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoTaco View Post
Have shot kimbers and springfield 1911's and hate the grip safety. As far as ignorant, i'd say far from it. Have had both, have seen the grip safety fail to engage properly when not completely in someone's hand, and prefer glock. So yes, there is plenty of reality. if you want a range gun, the grip safety is fine. if you want a multipurpose gun, i'd go glock. matter of preference.
Really???? What exactly are you talking about? The grip safety is probably the lightest, easiest safety to turn off. It doesn't even take a pound of force to disengage this safety. I have the Springfield 1911 full size and I can fire it with one thumb and two fingers. I really fail to see where your issue is, unless you have midgety hands. And I have small hands myself, but you must have like REALLY small hands to have problems with it.

Now for the real kicker, I am left handed and every weapon I own is right handed with exception given to my Thompson Center G2 Contender. And I can still effectively draw, disengage thumb and grip safeties and fire in under 1 sec. without an ambidextrous safety. That grip safety is there for a reason and the 1911 is still around and in use for a reason.

Don't take this as a bashing. I am simply pointing out that there is no basis for your argument that the grip safety makes the 1911 or the XD series unreliable. One more thing, if someone attempts to remove your weapon and it somehow gets pointed at you I bet you would be glad to know that they may not have the grip all the way depressed and that your chances of being shot with your own weapon has been reduced, not by much, but hey, every little bit helps.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:50 AM   #58
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered a XD .40 service model yesterday. I will be picking it up in one to two weeks.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I ordered a XD .40 service model yesterday. I will be picking it up in one to two weeks.

Congrats man. You will love it.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #60
Quote:
Really???? What exactly are you talking about? The grip safety is probably the lightest, easiest safety to turn off. It doesn't even take a pound of force to disengage this safety. I have the Springfield 1911 full size and I can fire it with one thumb and two fingers. I really fail to see where your issue is, unless you have midgety hands. And I have small hands myself, but you must have like REALLY small hands to have problems with it.

Now for the real kicker, I am left handed and every weapon I own is right handed with exception given to my Thompson Center G2 Contender. And I can still effectively draw, disengage thumb and grip safeties and fire in under 1 sec. without an ambidextrous safety. That grip safety is there for a reason and the 1911 is still around and in use for a reason.

Don't take this as a bashing. I am simply pointing out that there is no basis for your argument that the grip safety makes the 1911 or the XD series unreliable. One more thing, if someone attempts to remove your weapon and it somehow gets pointed at you I bet you would be glad to know that they may not have the grip all the way depressed and that your chances of being shot with your own weapon has been reduced, not by much, but hey, every little bit helps.
Meh, had my buddy shoot it and it wasn't square in his hand and it didn't depress fully. I don't like 1911's and I after seeing that I got rid of the XD. Like I said, matter of personal preference. There's also a reason why many guys with the funds to buy 1911's don't......personal preference. I hate grip safety's and they aren't worth it to me. Gun won't go off without pulling the trigger, I don't need another thing that could fail when I need it most.