Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

S&W M&P vs. SA XD

View Poll Results: Which 9mm?
Springfield Armory XD Service Model 190 58.64%
Smith & Wesson M&P 134 41.36%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #121
Nick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Nick Sells's Tacoma Gallery
I have never had a springfield but I have a smith & wesson mp .45 And I really like it it has never jammed, it's easy to clean, it came with interchangeable hand grips "we all love moding" plus it looks good too.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #122
junglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Airborne Infantryman
Name: Bob
junglefighter25's Tacoma Gallery
It seems like the XD40 has been the Gotta Have weapon for a few years. It's a great pistol, and everyone I know who has one have given them high regards.
Check on the Glock, too. There's a reason why it is the standard sidearm of security contractors and a shit ton of federal agencies.
The GEN 4 Glocks now have features that costed a few bucks with the older models, like larger magazine releases, and pic rails.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #123
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
I had the xdm .40 cal. I had to sell it due to past financial issues. The best pistol I have ever personally shot. I loved the way it fit my hand, never jammed, could be field stripped in seconds, and I felt really confident firing it down the range.

It's all a matter of personal opinions, I've never really liked the glocks but obviously they are great pistols too.

Sigs are great pistols as well. My buddy has one and its a blast to shoot. S & w has never really grabbed my attention with anything. I've shot their AR and wasn't impressed.

Make sure you hold and try to shoot everything you can. That's really the only thing to help you decide what fits your needs.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #124
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a 1911 guy, my carry gun is a .45 XD compact however. Cheap to replace if you ever have to use it and it's a damn fine gun.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #125
Frostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Frostbyte's Tacoma Gallery
my service weapon is an xdm, love it, would not have it any other way. IF i were to buy another pistol, it would be a smith & wesson M&P. the only thing that i dont like about the M&P is it has 2 trigger reset clicks, xdm has a much better and smoother trigger pull, not too much of a big deal, but i love my xdm. i'm sure you will love either one.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #126
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbyte View Post
my service weapon is an xdm, love it, would not have it any other way. IF i were to buy another pistol, it would be a smith & wesson M&P. the only thing that i dont like about the M&P is it has 2 trigger reset clicks, xdm has a much better and smoother trigger pull, not too much of a big deal, but i love my xdm. i'm sure you will love either one.
I have the M&P .40 and that 2 bit trigger messed me up at first. I kept firing low and to the left 4 inches and couldnt figure it out. After a while I realized it was that 2 step trigger. I came from a Para-Ordnance, while not the best gun they have the lightest smoothest trigger I have ever fired so that was what was messing me up. Once I adjusted to it I can put 500 rounds in a 6" circle at 25 yards all day long. I love the thing. It fits me perfectly and I wouldnt trade it for the world.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #127
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
I have several Glocks so I'm biased. I do have an M&P compact and love it. Springfield is a Glock copy, brother. Get what you like but when something like 65% of the cops in this country carry Glocks, that says something. Springfield will never be anywhere near that number. But you gotta get what you like.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #128
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I must prefer the M&P over the XD anyday.

The biggest factor for me, is the fact the M&P doesnt change balance as you burn through the mag.

The Xd i had, would dramatically shift the weight around as i burned the mag.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #129
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS1980 View Post
I have several Glocks so I'm biased. I do have an M&P compact and love it. Springfield is a Glock copy, brother. Get what you like but when something like 65% of the cops in this country carry Glocks, that says something. Springfield will never be anywhere near that number. But you gotta get what you like.
Springfield is a copy of a GLock? On what are you basing this? That both of them are polymer handguns?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #130
I'm proficient with both chainsaw and shotgun...
Kangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shedKangonia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Kangonia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmup View Post
I have the SC XD 40 its sweet!
x2 XD are great pistols, Springfeild makes an awesome weapon... Feild strips into 4-5 pieces for easy cleaning. I'm sure the M&P is a great weapon as well, but you CANNOT go wrong with the XD!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #131
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Just another one that jumped on the bandwagon of polymer guns. That's what I meant. The Springfield is pretty; its got stamping and etching all over the damn thing. Looks too busy. You want a pretty gun? But an XD.
OP, You have to pick each one up, shoot it, and then decide which one is right for you. Like I said before, I'm biased. Read some of the expert reviews online, watch some of the vids on Youtube, and above all get which one you like the most. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #132
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just another one that jumped on the bandwagon of polymer guns. That's what I meant. The Springfield is pretty; its got stamping and etching all over the damn thing. Looks too busy. You want a pretty gun? But an XD.
OP, You have to pick each one up, shoot it, and then decide which one is right for you. Like I said before, I'm biased. Read some of the expert reviews online, watch some of the vids on Youtube, and above all get which one you like the most. Good luck with your purchase.
I agree, Glock was the innovator in the polymer gun scene, but calling the others copies, is like calling all automobiles wanna-be Benz's, or that all pick-ups are wanna be Fords (yes, Ford made the first pickup, in 1925). Just because Glock used a material first does not mean that the others are not capable of innovation outside of the plastics.

It does all come down to personal preference though. I hate Glocks, never fired one I liked, The M&P didn't impress me. I don't give a rat's ass what SA stamped or etched on their firearm, but I do care about the fact that it works and is comfortable for me to fire.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #133
Glocking Tall

TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
That's whats important, that you are comfortable with it. I didn't have a choice. I was issued a Glock, that's what I carry. You could literally debate this shit all day; I'm sure there would be some guy that would say he loves his Hi-Point. If you like the Springfield, get it. You're the one who has to carry it.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #134
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The springfield is actually standard issue police and the military around the world. So that should give your stats a run for their money.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #135

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's whats important, that you are comfortable with it. I didn't have a choice. I was issued a Glock, that's what I carry. You could literally debate this shit all day; I'm sure there would be some guy that would say he loves his Hi-Point. If you like the Springfield, get it. You're the one who has to carry it.
This is the truth. Some people purchase their weapons based on the recommendations of others, or because they look cool. the real key is getting out and spending some time behind the trigger to choose the best fit/feel for you.

The day I bought my XDm, I had a Glock, M&P, XDm and Xd on the bench. the XDm was my favorite. I shot them all, side by side, took notes on each and made my choice. My only regret, getting the full size vs compact. No way I can conceal that thing.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #136
Glocking Tall

TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc0monkey View Post
The springfield is actually standard issue police and the military around the world. So that should give your stats a run for their money.
Thank you for clearing that up.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #137
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery

Like I said, i've owned both, and i really am unhappy with the XD
Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #138
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
I h ave an xd9 with 7000 rounds without a failure. It is a great gun. I've run it hard, sometimes 500 rounds in a day at the range and I have only field cleaned it. One time I did clean the striker, but that's it. I love it.

That being said, my next pistol will be a 1911 or a M&P45. I will never get rid of my XD, but I want to expand my collection and don't believe in getting the same gun in a different caliber. I want a variety. My old roommate had a M&P45 that I have shot several times. It is a great pistol as well. It's more difficult to field strip, but once you learn it, it's not so bad.

I say get the XD in once caliber and then the M&P in another caliber. Once you start, you won't stop...
Old 02-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #139
Pavement Princess
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Good thread with great info from the replies....thanks to everyone...time to go spend some $$$!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #140
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
Like I said, i've owned both, and i really am unhappy with the XD
What don't you like about the XD?