Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Bowhunting Tips

Old 12-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Bowhunting Tips

Anybody got any tips for a beginner going into bowhunting? I bought a PSE Stinger and am going to start practicing to become proficient before I go out in the woods... Gonna go for whitetails from a 13' ladder stand. Any tips on what time, what part of the year, or anything that has to do with bowhunting deer would be very helpful... Thanks!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
pick up a copy of your states rules/regs..it will tell you when you can bowhunt, what poundage is the minumum,whats the smallest broadhead you can use etc..

Im a new bowhunter this year also, and got very fortunate to have taken a nice 9 point my second time out. just be patient.

And also, why a 13' ladder? Thats not very high, and you will get picked off more easily being that low..The tree I'm in now is crooked to hell, so I'm only about 15' up and thats not enough. The recommended height by alot of bow hunters is 20-30'.

Join a bowhunting forum, you will learn alot. I know I have.

also, if you havent got one already, or asked for it for christmas, invest in a good trail camera so you can see whats in the woods your going to potentially hunt.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
pick up a copy of your states rules/regs..it will tell you when you can bowhunt, what poundage is the minumum,whats the smallest broadhead you can use etc..

Im a new bowhunter this year also, and got very fortunate to have taken a nice 9 point my second time out. just be patient.

And also, why a 13' ladder? Thats not very high, and you will get picked off more easily being that low..The tree I'm in now is crooked to hell, so I'm only about 15' up and thats not enough. The recommended height by alot of bow hunters is 20-30'.

Join a bowhunting forum, you will learn alot. I know I have.

also, if you havent got one already, or asked for it for christmas, invest in a good trail camera so you can see whats in the woods your going to potentially hunt.
Gotcha, will definitely do that...

And the reason for the 13' ladder is because it was a nice one I found at Basspro on sale for 50% off... Didn't know if that was high enough or not. Gonna take it back and look for a nice 20-30' like you said. I'll also join some forums and gather some info. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Gotcha, will definitely do that...

And the reason for the 13' ladder is because it was a nice one I found at Basspro on sale for 50% off... Didn't know if that was high enough or not. Gonna take it back and look for a nice 20-30' like you said. I'll also join some forums and gather some info. Thanks for the info!

A 20' ladder stand is nice, but a pain to put up/take down by yourself. You can find them at Basspro/Cabelas, but there $$$$

Also check out thesportsmansguide.com. They have a 24' ladder stand for probably cheaper then you will find one at the basspro or cabelas

If you can afford it, look into a climber. End of season, they will be blowing them out for the 2010 models. I found my summit climber brand new in the box from Dicks Sporting Goods, for $200. Ive got no problems bowhunting from it, but if your going to do quick trips like after work/school then a hang on or ladder is the way to go..I got tired of lugging my climber in and out of the woods, so I asked very nicely for 2 new hang on stands from thesportsmansguide.com for christmas..For both of them shipped, was under $200 also(but im also a member of there savers club there) This is where being a member of a hunting forum comes in handy. I asked on the forum before I even thought of getting those stands, and majority of the people who responded who had bought stands from them, say there great for the money spent.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A 20' ladder stand is nice, but a pain to put up/take down by yourself. You can find them at Basspro/Cabelas, but there $$$$

Also check out thesportsmansguide.com. They have a 24' ladder stand for probably cheaper then you will find one at the basspro or cabelas

If you can afford it, look into a climber. End of season, they will be blowing them out for the 2010 models. I found my summit climber brand new in the box from Dicks Sporting Goods, for $200. Ive got no problems bowhunting from it, but if your going to do quick trips like after work/school then a hang on or ladder is the way to go..I got tired of lugging my climber in and out of the woods, so I asked very nicely for 2 new hang on stands from thesportsmansguide.com for christmas..For both of them shipped, was under $200 also(but im also a member of there savers club there) This is where being a member of a hunting forum comes in handy. I asked on the forum before I even thought of getting those stands, and majority of the people who responded who had bought stands from them, say there great for the money spent.
Awesome info, thesportsmanguide.com has some good deals over there! What would be the difference between a hang on vs. a ladder stand? I know the ladder stand obviously has a ladder, but what differentiates the hand on and a climber? Again, thanks for the info, much appreciated!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
I got fisted

Firefighter:
Quote:
Awesome info, thesportsmanguide.com has some good deals over there! What would be the difference between a hang on vs. a ladder stand? I know the ladder stand obviously has a ladder, but what differentiates the hand on and a climber? Again, thanks for the info, much appreciated!
hang on hangs in the tree with ratchet straps securing it to the tree, with no ladder attached to it. You need to either get screw in steps, or a climbing stick to use the hang on. A climber is designed so you can "walk" up a tree without using ladders or screws or sticks.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hang on hangs in the tree with ratchet straps securing it to the tree, with no ladder attached to it. You need to either get screw in steps, or a climbing stick to use the hang on. A climber is designed so you can "walk" up a tree without using ladders or screws or sticks.
Cool, thanks for the information!
Old 12-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Practice, practice, practice with your bow. Make it so every move you make with that bow becomes muscle memory because once that deer walks within shooting range you are going to forget all the technique you have been trying to master. You won't be able to do much thinking and you'll only hear your heart beating. So without that perfected muscle memory any little tweek you make with your bow is going to screw up your shot.

Also know the distance of your shooting lanes and be sure there are no branches or anythign else in the way of those lanes. Since you are sitting above the deer, remember to aim just a little low.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowham View Post
Practice, practice, practice with your bow. Make it so every move you make with that bow becomes muscle memory because once that deer walks within shooting range you are going to forget all the technique you have been trying to master. You won't be able to do much thinking and you'll only hear your heart beating. So without that perfected muscle memory any little tweek you make with your bow is going to screw up your shot.

Also know the distance of your shooting lanes and be sure there are no branches or anythign else in the way of those lanes. Since you are sitting above the deer, remember to aim just a little low.
Gotcha, thank you for the input! I plan to go to the range/practice a whole lot before I get up in the stand... Don't wanna get out there and miss. Thanks again.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
I got fisted

Firefighter:
if its possible, have someone go with you who is an archer. They can tell you if your form is good or bad. Bad form leads to bad habits, which are hard to break. Dont forget to also not "grab" the bow, but to have the grip on the bow inbetween the spot where your thumb and pointer finger are hold out your hand, and make the letter L.

Or better yet, give repeat buisness to an archery shop and hang around..be friendly with the proshop guys, they will be more then willing to help ya learn.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if its possible, have someone go with you who is an archer. They can tell you if your form is good or bad. Bad form leads to bad habits, which are hard to break. Dont forget to also not "grab" the bow, but to have the grip on the bow inbetween the spot where your thumb and pointer finger are hold out your hand, and make the letter L.

Or better yet, give repeat buisness to an archery shop and hang around..be friendly with the proshop guys, they will be more then willing to help ya learn.
I'll definitely do that. Got a nice pro shop around here with some knowledgeable guys, gonna get some tips/pointers from them... Any preference on broadheads?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Ride On
JM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
JM76's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll definitely do that. Got a nice pro shop around here with some knowledgeable guys, gonna get some tips/pointers from them... Any preference on broadheads?
rage......enough said. check out my pics for the hole I put in my first deer. Practice first. You can get away with a 13 foot stand as well, it is just recommended that the higher you get, the better for scent reasons. With bowhunting, your maximum range MIGHT be 20 yards. The wind is your friend, make sure that it is blowing the right way all the time you are on stand. Scent prevention, etc, etc.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
I got fisted

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
rage......enough said. check out my pics for the hole I put in my first deer. Practice first. You can get away with a 13 foot stand as well, it is just recommended that the higher you get, the better for scent reasons. With bowhunting, your maximum range MIGHT be 20 yards. The wind is your friend, make sure that it is blowing the right way all the time you are on stand. Scent prevention, etc, etc.

Sorry..Rage isnt for a beginner bowhunter IMO. Expandables dont always open, which is why I started with fixed heads.

maximum range is 20 yards? Do you even bowhunt? My bow is tuned to 30 yards, and some guys on my bowhunting forum shoot out to 60 yards

I shot my first bow deer, at 24 yards.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
Ride On
JM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
JM76's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry..Rage isnt for a beginner bowhunter IMO. Expandables dont always open, which is why I started with fixed heads.

maximum range is 20 yards? Do you even bowhunt? My bow is tuned to 30 yards, and some guys on my bowhunting forum shoot out to 60 yards

I shot my first bow deer, at 24 yards.
hey jersey,
as a beginner, I was told that maximum range for an ETHICAL kill shot is 20 yards, we are talking beginner here...
Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anybody got any tips for a beginner going into bowhunting? I bought a PSE Stinger and am going to start practicing to become proficient before I go out in the woods... Gonna go for whitetails from a 13' ladder stand. Any tips on what time, what part of the year, or anything that has to do with bowhunting deer would be very helpful... Thanks!
Visit 3D archery shoots in your area. Makes for great practice and gets you in the 'one shot' mind set,
Keep an eye on this Archery site, most shoots for the upcoming year have not been entered by all the clubs yet.

If your a Christian, I found one of our CBA chapters out there by you.

Quote:
hey jersey,
as a beginner, I was told that maximum range for an ETHICAL kill shot is 20 yards, we are talking beginner here...
Ethical shot is to shoot just short of your ability IMO. That could possibly even be 15yards.

as far as broadheads........type of broadhead used isn't as important to me as consistancy and arrow placement. If you put a field point through the heart of a deer, you will make the harvest.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #16
I got fisted

Firefighter:
Quote:
hey jersey,
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
Visit 3D archery shoots in your area. Makes for great practice and gets you in the 'one shot' mind set,
Keep an eye on this Archery site, most shoots for the upcoming year have not been entered by all the clubs yet.

Ethical shot is to shoot just short of your ability IMO. That could possibly even be 15yards.

as far as broadheads........type of broadhead used isn't as important to me as consistancy and arrow placement. If you put a field point through the heart of a deer, you will make the harvest.
Thats why you practice. I bought my bow in March, and went out almost every day after work practicing. I am able to do 2" groups at 30 yards.

Im not saying rages arent good, I just have read bad things about them either not opening, or opening in the quiver, which neither is good for an ethical kill. I'll surely stick with my fixed heads, for not having the fear that they wont open
Old 12-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #17
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowham View Post

X2 - every suggestion on here is good, but you've gotta start with practice before you even think about anything else. A good rule of thumb is that whatever distance you are shooting at, you should be able to hit a paper plate 100% of the time. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be shooting at that distance. The reason for the paper plate is that's about the size of the kill zone (heart/lungs) of an average whitetail. Keep in mind that's a broadside shot, if it's quartering toward or away it's smaller.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post

Thanks HoosierTaco! I'll make sure to practice and become consistent... And I'll check out the CBA, as I am a Christian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
X2 - every suggestion on here is good, but you've gotta start with practice before you even think about anything else. A good rule of thumb is that whatever distance you are shooting at, you should be able to hit a paper plate 100% of the time. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be shooting at that distance. The reason for the paper plate is that's about the size of the kill zone (heart/lungs) of an average whitetail. Keep in mind that's a broadside shot, if it's quartering toward or away it's smaller.
Will do, thanks for the info.

Thanks to Canada also for you input!
Old 12-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #19
stan powers will become famous soon enoughstan powers will become famous soon enough
stan powers's Tacoma Gallery
i guess i will chime in here..... been bowhunting for years and years. i believe NO ONE should attempt a bow hunt until they complete at least 5 3D shoots. You have no idea what happens to you when that first deer comes across your range and you are inexperienced. I shot( gun) a deer this year that had an arrow sticking out of his rear end and was rotting with gangrene. i called the C.O. to come take a look and he sees this every year usually do to inexperienced bow hunters. Think of how much that animal suffered.

3d shoots teach you the importance of range and the fact that every shot is different ( not like target shooting).

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. have fun
Old 12-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #20
I got fisted

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan powers View Post
i guess i will chime in here..... been bowhunting for years and years. i believe NO ONE should attempt a bow hunt until they complete at least 5 3D shoots. You have no idea what happens to you when that first deer comes across your range and you are inexperienced. I shot( gun) a deer this year that had an arrow sticking out of his rear end and was rotting with gangrene. i called the C.O. to come take a look and he sees this every year usually do to inexperienced bow hunters. Think of how much that animal suffered.

3d shoots teach you the importance of range and the fact that every shot is different ( not like target shooting).

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. have fun
No matter what you do, theres going to be bad shots...It's not always just because of inexperience.