Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Hunting Dogs

Old 12-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #21
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
To make it a little clearer, I'm not saying using a dog for hunting of any sort is wrong. I'm saying that keeping dozens of dogs for tools is wrong. You didn't read my earlier post, did you? The OP said he treats his dogs well, and if you read my post I said I wasn't personally attacking him, so what's your issue? You gotta expect people to write their opinions on an open forum like this, aint' that what its for?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #22
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Dogs and Hunting

Wow,
I read this post and truly wonder at the negative information put out on hunters with dogs. While I don't hunt hogs, I have hunted deer in South Carolina as a youngster. I remember the the farmers releasing their dogs and about 30 of us waiting on the deer trails. Why did they do this? To cull the herd and keep their farms from being taken over by wildlife, and eat.
I will say that I hunt with dogs. I am an avid bird hunter (pheasant). 9 months out of the year my dogs have it easy. During the 3 months of hunting season they are my companions in the field. They enjoy this as much as I. Of course we each have our own jobs. As my employee's I see that they are taken to the vet regularly (free health care) and any emergencies get immediate attention. As part of their payment, room and board is provided. Healthy food, and a warm bed are provided. They are allowed to lounge on the furniture, sleep in the bed, bathed regularly, and even have a retirement plan. During the entire year we have even provided them with an exercise plan to maintain their health and well being.
To those of you who may judge a person who uses an animal to assist in the hunt, I feel sorry that you don't seem to understand the relationship between the hunter and his companions.
Go check the animal shelters today and see all the different animals left there by all those others you seem to think would never do anything to hurt that pet. Take one home while your there and provide it with a home, food, exercise, love and companionship. Good luck. K
Old 12-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #23
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
To make it a little clearer, I'm not saying using a dog for hunting of any sort is wrong. I'm saying that keeping dozens of dogs for tools is wrong. You didn't read my earlier post, did you? The OP said he treats his dogs well, and if you read my post I said I wasn't personally attacking him, so what's your issue? You gotta expect people to write their opinions on an open forum like this, aint' that what its for?
OP wasn't asking for opinions on animal abuse. He asked if you hunt with hounds. Most forums would thrash a person for derailing a positive thread in a negative way like that. Here at TW we normally don't do that. I'm asking to get this back on topic of hounds and hunting dogs.

to the OP-my apoligies for any misdirection I've caused in your thread. I love to follow the dogs and watch them work. Birdhunter by heart, but can easily follow and enjoy any dog that loves to hunt.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #24
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr2 View Post
Wow,
I read this post and truly wonder at the negative information put out on hunters with dogs. While I don't hunt hogs, I have hunted deer in South Carolina as a youngster. I remember the the farmers releasing their dogs and about 30 of us waiting on the deer trails. Why did they do this? To cull the herd and keep their farms from being taken over by wildlife, and eat.
I will say that I hunt with dogs. I am an avid bird hunter (pheasant). 9 months out of the year my dogs have it easy. During the 3 months of hunting season they are my companions in the field. They enjoy this as much as I. Of course we each have our own jobs. As my employee's I see that they are taken to the vet regularly (free health care) and any emergencies get immediate attention. As part of their payment, room and board is provided. Healthy food, and a warm bed are provided. They are allowed to lounge on the furniture, sleep in the bed, bathed regularly, and even have a retirement plan. During the entire year we have even provided them with an exercise plan to maintain their health and well being.
To those of you who may judge a person who uses an animal to assist in the hunt, I feel sorry that you don't seem to understand the relationship between the hunter and his companions.
Go check the animal shelters today and see all the different animals left there by all those others you seem to think would never do anything to hurt that pet. Take one home while your there and provide it with a home, food, exercise, love and companionship. Good luck. K
good post tuck. I always considered my 4 legged friend as the hunter, and me as his companion.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #25
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Hunting companions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
good post tuck. I always considered my 4 legged friend as the hunter, and me as his companion.
Your right Ben,
I suppose I also must apologize for over reaction to the post. I have taken in so many pets over the years. Seems about 50% were strays and all loved me as much as I loved them.
I found out one thing over the years. Had I never had any pet I would have missed out on so many friendships. While it's painful when they go, the pain would be even worse if I had never know them to start. Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Hunting Dogs-hunt-09.jpg  
Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #26
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Man I want to go pheasant hunting one day, I hope when I get some time to take a trip out to South Dakota. Im not sure if my lab would quite know what to do if hunting didn't involve swimming though!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #27
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to go to South Dakota myself. Wife has family there and she keeps telling me to go. They like to do big family hunts where you have blockers and walkers pushing a field. It sure is fun. I have been a state volunteer for the Western Washington Pheasant program on the west side of the mountains for over 20 years now. We release about 6000 birds a year on the Ft. Lewis military reservation for the hunters. Great fun for all. K
Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #28
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot....
bwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Corporal MACS-2
bwood_usmc's Tacoma Gallery
IMO anyone that has a negative opinon of hunting with dogs does not truly understand the companionship that exist. The folks i hunt with would absolutly do anything for there dogs. Over the years i have been stabbed in the back and lied to by what i thought were my friends. My dog has never done this which leads me to say he is truly my best friend.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #29
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
tuckr2, Is that a shock collar or gps on the dog on the right? Or neither?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #30
masterblaster is a name known to allmasterblaster is a name known to allmasterblaster is a name known to allmasterblaster is a name known to allmasterblaster is a name known to allmasterblaster is a name known to all
masterblaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
i want to go hog hunting with some pits. the pits hold the hog then you have to run in and stab the hog or cut its throat.

theres a few groups than take people hunting down here

brett
i wouldnt mind getting a hog dog....i love the american pit bull terrier, but for hogging i would use something with a little bit more mass, and i dont think pit bulls are instinctually pack hunters (however, their intelligence and drive makes them an extremely versatile breed...so i suppose anything is possible)
Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #31
Toyota newbie...
cornwall325 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jonathan
cornwall325's Tacoma Gallery
I love going coon hunting and bear hunting with dogs. There's just that something about it that gets your adrenaline going. That's just my opinion and I know some people don't feel this way.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #32
masterblaster is a name known to allmasterblaster is a name known to allmasterblaster is a name known to allmasterblaster is a name known to allmasterblaster is a name known to allmasterblaster is a name known to all
masterblaster's Tacoma Gallery
how does bear hunting go with a dog?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #33
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
hunting dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
tuckr2, Is that a shock collar or gps on the dog on the right? Or neither?

Neither of the above. Springers typically hunt close so gps wouldn't be necessary. Bench spaniels don't typically need shock collars, not that I didn't wish I had one on occasion (the wife needs some serious training). Bench spaniels are usually gentle and use of a collar might break one if you weren't careful. I have had field springers too and they are a different breed. A shock collar could be considered a training tool to be used only in limited use to to discourage bad behaviors.
I have learned to accept my dogs misgivings as a result of my poor training. Good thing they don't have a collar for me when I miss. K
Old 12-25-2009, 07:03 AM   #34
YodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud ofYodaMedic has much to be proud of
Air Force: Medic
YodaMedic's Tacoma Gallery
Hunting with dogs is not hunting. You tree an animal and shoot it. What is the "hunt" in that? I am a predator, turkey, upland game, and soon to be deer hunter and that takes skill, luck, and hunter's knowledge.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #35
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
hunting with dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaMedic View Post
Hunting with dogs is not hunting. You tree an animal and shoot it. What is the "hunt" in that? I am a predator, turkey, upland game, and soon to be deer hunter and that takes skill, luck, and hunter's knowledge.
Upland hunting for pheasant or any bird that typically stays on the ground could be difficult for anyone without a dog. Oh you might get the occasional one, especially in states where the bird is plentiful. But again, without the dogs nose quite frequently you would not bring the bird back once down in cover or wounded. Pheasants are hearty and don't give up once hit.
Hunters knowledge will only take you so far with birds. No matter your feelings on the issue those of us who hunt some type of game with a sporting dog do so because we feel this is the best, most efficient method. Think of a dog as a fish-finder. You use the finder to locate the fish. Then with you skill, knowledge, and a bit of luck, you take the fish to hook and land it.
I prefer this method over depending on a huge amount of luck to bring the bird back to hand. Good luck on your hunting. K
Old 12-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #36
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
I started small game hunting last year. I loved walking around not having to be quite. I'm so skinny that I freeze after about 30 minutes of sitting in the same spot. small game hunting allows for everyone to talk and have a good time. After I saw how much those dogs loved being out there tracking rabbits I had to have one. I have a year old beagle that I'm currently training for next season. I agree with all of hoosiertaco's previous posts.
My dog is my pet first. Taking him out hunting is no different than my wanting to go hunting. He enjoys it far more than I do.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #38
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
hunting dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew5olson View Post
I started small game hunting last year. I loved walking around not having to be quite. I'm so skinny that I freeze after about 30 minutes of sitting in the same spot. small game hunting allows for everyone to talk and have a good time. After I saw how much those dogs loved being out there tracking rabbits I had to have one. I have a year old beagle that I'm currently training for next season. I agree with all of hoosiertaco's previous posts.
My dog is my pet first. Taking him out hunting is no different than my wanting to go hunting. He enjoys it far more than I do.

Couldn't agree more with you. My dog is my pet first. When they reach an age where they appear to be in discomfort I usually have another started to take over the reigns. Still, as long as they enjoy the hunt I bring them with.
Also, the friends I have made through hunting are genuine and last long after the hunt is over.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #39
^^right on, tuck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew5olson View Post
That says it all right there Matt!!!
Old 12-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #40
mattcombs is a glorious beacon of lightmattcombs is a glorious beacon of lightmattcombs is a glorious beacon of lightmattcombs is a glorious beacon of lightmattcombs is a glorious beacon of light
Name: matt
mattcombs's Tacoma Gallery
nothin like a dog box loaded in the back of a tacoma lights charged gun loaded and a 6 pk to to start the summer or fall winter and somtimes spring