Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Hunting Dogs

Old 12-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
Hunting Dogs

Anyone here like to hunt with hounds? I hunt deer, fox and rabbits with hounds and couldn't imagine it any other way. I have 3 fox hounds, 6 deer beagles and 2 rabbit beagles. Theres nothing like having a pack of hounds hot on a track and clicking the safety off when you hear em comin...
Old 12-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry dude, but that's one thing I really can't deal with. I grew up in Chesapeake, VA, and every hunting season I'd see dead beagles along I-64 because somebody'd let them loose and never got them back. There was a pen back in the woods behind my house, about a 1/2 mile from anything, that was full of beagles and hounds, they were somebody's tools that only came out during hunting season. The rest of the year they were stuck in that little prison. I'd walk back there every now and then just to scout the woods, and there was more than 1 time when I'd see a dead dog in the pen being walked on and sometimes chewed on by the others. Freaks me out to this day thinking about it. So yeah, not a fan of using dogs for hunting. Bird dog's, that's a different story. My lab and I went duck hunting many times, and upland hunting a couple times, but he also stayed in the house and went for walks with me the rest of the year.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
Sorry dude, but that's one thing I really can't deal with. I grew up in Chesapeake, VA, and every hunting season I'd see dead beagles along I-64 because somebody'd let them loose and never got them back. There was a pen back in the woods behind my house, about a 1/2 mile from anything, that was full of beagles and hounds, they were somebody's tools that only came out during hunting season. The rest of the year they were stuck in that little prison. I'd walk back there every now and then just to scout the woods, and there was more than 1 time when I'd see a dead dog in the pen being walked on and sometimes chewed on by the others. Freaks me out to this day thinking about it. So yeah, not a fan of using dogs for hunting. Bird dog's, that's a different story. My lab and I went duck hunting many times, and upland hunting a couple times, but he also stayed in the house and went for walks with me the rest of the year.
Same way I feel about it, and we see many hunting dogs on the side of the roads around here...
Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
jlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jen
jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jlvhrse
Quote:
I live in Chesapeake, and have rescued a couple of loose, half starved and probably beaten hunting dogs. I know not every hunter treats their dogs this way, but it has given me a bad taste for hunters that use dogs.. Everytime I see one of those metal cages on the back of a truck, I want to run them off the road.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Man I guess living and hunting in rural areas is the difference, Ive never had a dog hit and mine are healthy as house dogs. Of course I run mine constantly in the off season too though.... I like still hunting during bow and muzzleloader season but when gun season arrives I cant wait to hear a chase.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
What part are you in? I lived over near Chesapeake park, I was looking a google maps a few days ago and damn, the place has changed a lot! I actually stopped along 64, just over the bridge-tunnel, and picked up a hound that had just been hit by a car. Took it to the nearest vet I could find, and they had to put it down. For the original poster, not bashing you personally, but I hope you're taking better care of your dogs than the examples I've seen.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
rhodehard09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvhrse View Post
I live in Chesapeake, and have rescued a couple of loose, half starved and probably beaten hunting dogs. I know not every hunter treats their dogs this way, but it has given me a bad taste for hunters that use dogs.. Everytime I see one of those metal cages on the back of a truck, I want to run them off the road.
i like you
Old 12-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #10

Law Enforcement:
Yea I hunt in Lancaster county and Lunenburg county, pretty rural and everyone hunts. Ive heard stories of mis-treated hunting dogs but never hunted with any of the sort, I guess its the same with any group though there are always bad apples.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
rustyshakelford is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
rustyshakelford's Tacoma Gallery
i want to go hog hunting with some pits. the pits hold the hog then you have to run in and stab the hog or cut its throat.

theres a few groups than take people hunting down here

brett
Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #12
cole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cole
cole47's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cole47
I run coons with dogs....thats about it
Old 12-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #13
LEEP is on a distinguished road
Name: LEE
LEEP's Tacoma Gallery
Used 2 have a black + tan coonhound for coons in the pm + several pointing dogs for am bird hunting
Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
cole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cole
cole47's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cole47
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEP View Post
Used 2 have a black + tan coonhound for coons in the pm + several pointing dogs for am bird hunting
we have 3 blueticks and 2 tree and walkers for pm coon hunting, good dogs
Old 12-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
6L PSD is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Retired
6L PSD's Tacoma Gallery
I grew up in north FLA, and couldn't wait for the second Saturday in November. We used to have several head of hounds, sometimes a beagle or two. Walkers, Julys, black and tans, blueticks. Those were the days...I still get excited talking about it. Once I joined the AF I introduced several buds to dog hunting. They mostly all had preconceived notions about it, until actually sitting in the seat (or on stand). Awesome way to go, but is slowly being shoved out. I still have friends down there that run 'em...makes me want to load up now! Thanks for sharing FF!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
Don't buy a Ford
bishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B
bishtacova's Tacoma Gallery
Just look at the local shelters in central va. Many are beagles and hunter discards.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #17
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
dog hunting.......... is not hunting at all.
x2
Old 12-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot....
bwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Corporal MACS-2
Name: Ben
bwood_usmc's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 8 month old bluetick pup that i am training to run a coon track right now.... he is comin along really well in the 2 months that i have had him.... there is nothing like the sounds of a coon hound runnin a track and then treeing...
Old 12-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #19

Law Enforcement:
I would love to start coon hunting too... I run fox hounds all year but as far as actually hunting for game I only take deer and rabbits, I think coon hunting would help fill the gap between seasons and the thought of having them bay on one is awesome. The state is talking about making a deer hound training season too since there is already a bear hound training season. One of my foxhounds is off of a good treeing walker line. I agree that a lot of people that don't like the idea of hunting with dogs don't actually know whats going on....
Old 12-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #20
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry dude, but that's one thing I really can't deal with.........................So yeah, not a fan of using dogs for hunting. Bird dog's, that's a different story. My lab and I went duck hunting many times, and upland hunting a couple times
the contradictory nature of your statements really confuses me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
dog hunting.......... is not hunting at all.
^inappropriate for this thread. You are only looking for confrontation.

-some of you have dissrespected the OP by bringing in your negative posts. He stated that he treats his dogs well.

-Rather than getting confrontational to what I have pointed out, could we please redirect this thread back into a more positive thread as the OP had intended.

-If any of you are unhappy with the treatment of hunting dogs or any other type of dogs or animals, please start a thread for it. Thank you.