1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long gun storage under rear seat of 2nd gen dbl cab Tacoma

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by ashjwilliams, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:53 PM
    ashjwilliams

ashjwilliams [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anybody store long guns under the rear seat of 2nd gen dbl cab Tacoma's (in the plastic storage containers)?

A few months ago I had a tactical shotgun match after work and was looking for an appropriate place to store my Benelli M4 during the day. Looking under the rear seat I found what appeared to be the perfect place for long gun storage but long story short the Benelli was 1-2 inches from fitting. The pistol grip just wouldn't clear.

In this upcoming year myself and a few friends are looking to do more traveling, particularly camping, and now I find myself wanting a long gun in the vehicle. This could be used for self defense if necessary, taking game if necesssary (probably small game), or more likely just impromptu range sessions. FYI I do have a concealed carry permit in the state of Ohio (and my constitutional rights); I typically carry a Ruger LCR on my person and/or a H&K P30 9mm on my person or nearby. Additionally I suspect that this would be the best way to transport long guns in the Tacoma from a legal standpoint (no trunk to separate unloaded firearms from ammo and occupants, etc).

So the question becomes, how much long gun can I get in there? Anyone else tried this? I'm guessing that nothing with a pistol grip will fit, but "sporterized" guns (no pistol grips) may very well fit with no or low profile optics. Nothing in my current arsenal (Ar-15's, Ruger 10/22, FNAR, Benelli M4) fits this description. I strongly suspect that I should stick with 0.223 Remington. Currently I am leaning towards acquiring a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical or Ruger Mini-14 with ATI stock (I'm thinking this may fit with the stock folded up). Any thoughts or comments? Thanks for any information.

Ash

2. Dec 27, 2009 at 10:16 PM
    ASH

ASH Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Off Road
    SnugTop Rebel Shell, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, Rear TSB, BFG A/T KO 265/75/16, Tranny TSB, WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Debadged (Sides), Black Badges (Tailgate), Avid Off Road Sliders, TRD Shoulder Pads, Factory Color-Matched Grille w/Blacked-Out Emblem
    I've been considering storing one my shotguns behind my rear seats during transport but, I like your idea of storing them under the seats instead. Both of my shotguns (Remington 870s) have 18" barrels and are outfitted with the standard stock and forend so, I should be alright with the clearance.

I'll test this out sometime this week and report back.

3. Dec 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM
    ashjwilliams

Member:
    I was so close to getting the Benelli M4 in there, with just the pistol grip keeping it from happening. I'd think the 870 would not be a problem. Let me know what you find out. My roommate is thinking about buying a Remington 870 or Benelli Supernova this week; we might have a go at fitting it in there. I'll let you know.

Is there some storage area behind the rear seat as well?! It seems I need to further explore my new truck LOL.

4. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    ashjwilliams

Member:
    Well I checked out the storage area behind the rear seats; very useful. However in my vehicle (in regard to across the width of the vehicle) it is broken up into a 1/3 and 2/3 arrangement. Either way I'm guessing you aren't going to get a long gun in there unless it is an SBR or otherwise has a collapsible/foldable stock. Your storage arrangement could be different though as I have the JBL sound system and this seems to take up some space behind the passenger side rear seat.

5. Jan 1, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    ASH

ASH Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Off Road
    SnugTop Rebel Shell, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, Rear TSB, BFG A/T KO 265/75/16, Tranny TSB, WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Debadged (Sides), Black Badges (Tailgate), Avid Off Road Sliders, TRD Shoulder Pads, Factory Color-Matched Grille w/Blacked-Out Emblem
    I have the same storage set-up behind my seats as you. I also found out the storage behind the seats isn't very useful for storing a long gun unless you get creative with a shorter stock.

I also tried putting my shotgun under the seats but the jack is in the way just enough that it won't fit. It would fit easily with just a pistol grip but I prefer to have my shotguns outfitted with standard stocks.

6. Jan 16, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    ashjwilliams

Member:
    So it seems that this idea was total fail. After discussing this with a friend I was reminded that in the state of Ohio it is illegal to have a loaded rifle in your vehicle (concealed carry permit or not). Additionally the law was written such that it could be construed that having an unloaded rifle in the trunk and loaded magazines for that rifle anywhere in the car (say locked in the glovebox) is still a loaded rifle (ie still illegal). Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to jail.

So now I need to figure out how to store an AR pistol in my vehicle (while hopefully preserving barrel length such that velocities required for fragmentation at reasonable distances are maintained). I may have a look at the storage area again tomorrow, but I am not optimistic at the moment.

7. Jan 16, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    ashjwilliams

Member:
    Also did you try putting the shotgun in with stock on the driver side? This is what I was envisioning would work (without having to remove the jack on the passenger side).

8. Jan 16, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC

Yeah I thought of that a few weeks ago, but haven't tried yet myself. Hey Ash, I also have a Benelli M4 Tactical, and have the fully collapsible, 4 position butt stock on it. Wasn't cheap though. Guess I will give the storage a try with the stock collapsed.

9. Jan 16, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    ashjwilliams

Member:
    Cool. I've got one with the fixed stock. The pistol grip was what ultimately prohibited it from fitting under the seat, though with the stock collapsed you will have more room to work with. What did that run you? Non collapsible set me back about 1500 + tax.

10. Jan 16, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Mine was priced about the same, with a fixed stock. I can't remember where I got the collapsing stock from ebay or gunbroker. Benelli only imported them for a few months for the M4 making them rare and expensive. The spring tube under your fixed stock is most likely, as mine was, notched for the collapsible stock. I picked mine collapsible stock up for around $900 but made it the same as the Marine Corps M1014.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    MINTaco

MINTaco Active Member

Member:
    On a Lake in MN
    Vehicle:
    08 V6
    DIY Block Heater, Weathertechs, A.R.E. Utility Topper, aFe Pro Dry S
    Ash, if you have the spare change laying around and don't mind ugly rifles....check out the HK SL-6 chambered for your favorite round. Virtually indestructable and shoots way better than any of the Mini's. I'm a little biased as I am a former HK rep ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top