Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Long gun storage under rear seat of 2nd gen dbl cab Tacoma

Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
ashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of light
ashjwilliams's Tacoma Gallery
Long gun storage under rear seat of 2nd gen dbl cab Tacoma

Anybody store long guns under the rear seat of 2nd gen dbl cab Tacoma's (in the plastic storage containers)?

A few months ago I had a tactical shotgun match after work and was looking for an appropriate place to store my Benelli M4 during the day. Looking under the rear seat I found what appeared to be the perfect place for long gun storage but long story short the Benelli was 1-2 inches from fitting. The pistol grip just wouldn't clear.

In this upcoming year myself and a few friends are looking to do more traveling, particularly camping, and now I find myself wanting a long gun in the vehicle. This could be used for self defense if necessary, taking game if necesssary (probably small game), or more likely just impromptu range sessions. FYI I do have a concealed carry permit in the state of Ohio (and my constitutional rights); I typically carry a Ruger LCR on my person and/or a H&K P30 9mm on my person or nearby. Additionally I suspect that this would be the best way to transport long guns in the Tacoma from a legal standpoint (no trunk to separate unloaded firearms from ammo and occupants, etc).

So the question becomes, how much long gun can I get in there? Anyone else tried this? I'm guessing that nothing with a pistol grip will fit, but "sporterized" guns (no pistol grips) may very well fit with no or low profile optics. Nothing in my current arsenal (Ar-15's, Ruger 10/22, FNAR, Benelli M4) fits this description. I strongly suspect that I should stick with 0.223 Remington. Currently I am leaning towards acquiring a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical or Ruger Mini-14 with ATI stock (I'm thinking this may fit with the stock folded up). Any thoughts or comments? Thanks for any information.

Ash
Old 12-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
ASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to behold

ASH's Tacoma Gallery
I've been considering storing one my shotguns behind my rear seats during transport but, I like your idea of storing them under the seats instead. Both of my shotguns (Remington 870s) have 18" barrels and are outfitted with the standard stock and forend so, I should be alright with the clearance.

I'll test this out sometime this week and report back.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
ashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of lightashjwilliams is a glorious beacon of light
I was so close to getting the Benelli M4 in there, with just the pistol grip keeping it from happening. I'd think the 870 would not be a problem. Let me know what you find out. My roommate is thinking about buying a Remington 870 or Benelli Supernova this week; we might have a go at fitting it in there. I'll let you know.

Is there some storage area behind the rear seat as well?! It seems I need to further explore my new truck LOL.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Well I checked out the storage area behind the rear seats; very useful. However in my vehicle (in regard to across the width of the vehicle) it is broken up into a 1/3 and 2/3 arrangement. Either way I'm guessing you aren't going to get a long gun in there unless it is an SBR or otherwise has a collapsible/foldable stock. Your storage arrangement could be different though as I have the JBL sound system and this seems to take up some space behind the passenger side rear seat.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
ASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to behold

ASH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashjwilliams View Post
Well I checked out the storage area behind the rear seats; very useful. However in my vehicle (in regard to across the width of the vehicle) it is broken up into a 1/3 and 2/3 arrangement. Either way I'm guessing you aren't going to get a long gun in there unless it is an SBR or otherwise has a collapsible/foldable stock. Your storage arrangement could be different though as I have the JBL sound system and this seems to take up some space behind the passenger side rear seat.
I have the same storage set-up behind my seats as you. I also found out the storage behind the seats isn't very useful for storing a long gun unless you get creative with a shorter stock.

I also tried putting my shotgun under the seats but the jack is in the way just enough that it won't fit. It would fit easily with just a pistol grip but I prefer to have my shotguns outfitted with standard stocks.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
So it seems that this idea was total fail. After discussing this with a friend I was reminded that in the state of Ohio it is illegal to have a loaded rifle in your vehicle (concealed carry permit or not). Additionally the law was written such that it could be construed that having an unloaded rifle in the trunk and loaded magazines for that rifle anywhere in the car (say locked in the glovebox) is still a loaded rifle (ie still illegal). Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to jail.

So now I need to figure out how to store an AR pistol in my vehicle (while hopefully preserving barrel length such that velocities required for fragmentation at reasonable distances are maintained). I may have a look at the storage area again tomorrow, but I am not optimistic at the moment.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH View Post
I have the same storage set-up behind my seats as you. I also found out the storage behind the seats isn't very useful for storing a long gun unless you get creative with a shorter stock.

I also tried putting my shotgun under the seats but the jack is in the way just enough that it won't fit. It would fit easily with just a pistol grip but I prefer to have my shotguns outfitted with standard stocks.
Also did you try putting the shotgun in with stock on the driver side? This is what I was envisioning would work (without having to remove the jack on the passenger side).
Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anybody store long guns under the rear seat of 2nd gen dbl cab Tacoma's (in the plastic storage containers)?

A few months ago I had a tactical shotgun match after work and was looking for an appropriate place to store my Benelli M4 during the day. Looking under the rear seat I found what appeared to be the perfect place for long gun storage but long story short the Benelli was 1-2 inches from fitting. The pistol grip just wouldn't clear.

In this upcoming year myself and a few friends are looking to do more traveling, particularly camping, and now I find myself wanting a long gun in the vehicle. This could be used for self defense if necessary, taking game if necesssary (probably small game), or more likely just impromptu range sessions. FYI I do have a concealed carry permit in the state of Ohio (and my constitutional rights); I typically carry a Ruger LCR on my person and/or a H&K P30 9mm on my person or nearby. Additionally I suspect that this would be the best way to transport long guns in the Tacoma from a legal standpoint (no trunk to separate unloaded firearms from ammo and occupants, etc).

So the question becomes, how much long gun can I get in there? Anyone else tried this? I'm guessing that nothing with a pistol grip will fit, but "sporterized" guns (no pistol grips) may very well fit with no or low profile optics. Nothing in my current arsenal (Ar-15's, Ruger 10/22, FNAR, Benelli M4) fits this description. I strongly suspect that I should stick with 0.223 Remington. Currently I am leaning towards acquiring a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical or Ruger Mini-14 with ATI stock (I'm thinking this may fit with the stock folded up). Any thoughts or comments? Thanks for any information.

Ash

Yeah I thought of that a few weeks ago, but haven't tried yet myself. Hey Ash, I also have a Benelli M4 Tactical, and have the fully collapsible, 4 position butt stock on it. Wasn't cheap though. Guess I will give the storage a try with the stock collapsed.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post
Yeah I thought of that a few weeks ago, but haven't tried yet myself. Hey Ash, I also have a Benelli M4 Tactical, and have the fully collapsible, 4 position butt stock on it. Wasn't cheap though. Guess I will give the storage a try with the stock collapsed.
Cool. I've got one with the fixed stock. The pistol grip was what ultimately prohibited it from fitting under the seat, though with the stock collapsed you will have more room to work with. What did that run you? Non collapsible set me back about 1500 + tax.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was priced about the same, with a fixed stock. I can't remember where I got the collapsing stock from ebay or gunbroker. Benelli only imported them for a few months for the M4 making them rare and expensive. The spring tube under your fixed stock is most likely, as mine was, notched for the collapsible stock. I picked mine collapsible stock up for around $900 but made it the same as the Marine Corps M1014.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
MINTaco is on a distinguished road

MINTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
..... I strongly suspect that I should stick with 0.223 Remington. Currently I am leaning towards acquiring a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical or Ruger Mini-14 with ATI stock (I'm thinking this may fit with the stock folded up). Any thoughts or comments? Thanks for any information.

Ash
Ash, if you have the spare change laying around and don't mind ugly rifles....check out the HK SL-6 chambered for your favorite round. Virtually indestructable and shoots way better than any of the Mini's. I'm a little biased as I am a former HK rep