Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Any Gunsmiths Here?

Old 03-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Any Gunsmiths Here?

I like tinkering with firearms about as much as shooting. This is a 45 acp that I built from Les Baer parts. Probably cheaper to buy a production gun, but not near as satisfying. Checkering is tough but worth it if it comes out right. I use this one for IPSC & IDPA competition and personal protection.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
When I was in the marksmanship section I did some basic smithing. Trigger work was my specialty. The only gun I own that I haven't smoothed up is an Anschutz 1913 which has a beautiful 2 stage trigger that breaks at exactly 2 oz. I don't think I can improve on it.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
When I was in the marksmanship section I did some basic smithing. Trigger work was my specialty. The only gun I own that I haven't smoothed up is an Anschutz 1913 which has a beautiful 2 stage trigger that breaks at exactly 2 oz. I don't think I can improve on it.
I keep'em a little heavier than that on a carry gun. About 3 lb. on the 45. Some on the competition pistols I'll take down under 2 lb. and I have some varmint rifles that are pretty light in the oz's.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
It's an international free rifle. 13.5 lbs of gun to shoot a white dot smaller than the period at the end of this sentence from 50 ft.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Ive wanted an Anschutz since i can remember...any Anschutz. Im toying with buying one of thier rimfires. Im a 2 stage trigger addict and
there arent too many manufacturers that make a nice 2 stage for civi rifles. Volquartsen makes a nice 10/22 trigger though.

Ted
Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
I like tinkering with firearms about as much as shooting. This is a 45 acp that I built from Les Baer parts. Probably cheaper to buy a production gun, but not near as satisfying. Checkering is tough but worth it if it comes out right. I use this one for IPSC & IDPA competition and personal protection.

Don't have the patience for much of the work but have a Great Gunsmith Friend. He's built me 2 STI 2011's with Les Baer slides and Bar-sto barrels.
USPSA Limited since 1996.
Can't get into IDPA( I don't practice anymore)
Old 03-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
Don't have the patience for much of the work but have a Great Gunsmith Friend. He's built me 2 STI 2011's with Les Baer slides and Bar-sto barrels.
USPSA Limited since 1996.
Can't get into IDPA( I don't practice anymore)
I agree that IDPA is a little to picky about stuff for me as well. I've got an open .38 super that was built by Les when he first left Springfield's custom shop. It has TRI on the grip for TRIPP RESEARCH INC. that tells you how long I've been in IPSC. Old as dirt in that game.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree that IDPA is a little to picky about stuff for me as well. I've got an open .38 super that was built by Les when he first left Springfield's custom shop. It has TRI on the grip for TRIPP RESEARCH INC. that tells you how long I've been in IPSC. Old as dirt in that game.
And a FUN GAME it is too. I only get out to our local club at Norco a few times a year but still have fun though I'm not as fast as I used to be.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Master of the Universe
Flycatcher is on a distinguished road

Army: Platoon Leader, 2nd PLT Co A 1-128 Light Infantry
Flycatcher's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking piece! You said you did the checkering? Does that include the front strap? I have a Springfield that I would like checkered. No way I could do it but I am wondering what a fair price to have it done would be?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycatcher View Post
Nice looking piece! You said you did the checkering? Does that include the front strap? I have a Springfield that I would like checkered. No way I could do it but I am wondering what a fair price to have it done would be?
With shipping regs. these days and the cost of a shop would probably be in excess of $200. I got started with parts from Brownells. 60* needle files (both fine and medium, checkering guide, starter file (I prefer 20 lpi), and dykem blue. I've done about nine of my own and those of a few close friends. After all it comes with my famous warranty, if I screw it up tough #$%. The one shown was a little more of a job with the mag well and the welding involved. My wife was afraid to come home for fear of the door handles and everything else being checkered for awhile.
Try it on a peice of pipe about the same radius as the front strap and get the feel and then go for it. The reason I tried it in the 1st place is I paid a local gunsmith a tidy sum to do a nice Colt and he ran one of the lines into two, and he had the same warranty I have.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #11

Anyone done a trigger job on a M&P S&W. I have a 9mm that isn't bad but could be better. Who did it, results, and a price would be appreciated.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
I have done my own garage quality trigger jobs on 10/22's and gotten decent results. The stakes are not too high on a paper punching 22lr unless you are a competitor. That said, it still doesn't run right.
I bought a trigger kit for my CZ 452's that is dead simple and very effective.
I let other guys at the range shoot it and the first shot always catches them by surprise passes the slam-fire test no probem and my CZ 22lr is way too accurate for the price.
I like 1911's because you can do so much and parts are everywhere but don't trust myself to take on too much. Maybe a RI or Norinco if I found one cheap.
Nice work on that one.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyone done a trigger job on a M&P S&W. I have a 9mm that isn't bad but could be better. Who did it, results, and a price would be appreciated.
Walk in the park. Smack the grip frame and the side plate comes off. Do not try to pry it. Polish any rubbing parts. The rebound slide always needs work. chamfer the sharp edge on the DA fly. S&W will have done this on an M&P, or that era.
Put a set of Wolf springs in. The trigger rebound spring is the only tricky part.
Don`t bend the pin. A golf tee works. I have a tool that is like a slot screwdriver with a notch for the pin.
The smoother the parts, the lighter the springs needed.
Test with CCI Mag. primers in Speer plastic cases. If it will pop those, it will pop anything.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
Walk in the park. Smack the grip frame and the side plate comes off. Do not try to pry it. Polish any rubbing parts. The rebound slide always needs work. chamfer the sharp edge on the DA fly. S&W will have done this on an M&P, or that era.
Put a set of Wolf springs in. The trigger rebound spring is the only tricky part.
Don`t bend the pin. A golf tee works. I have a tool that is like a slot screwdriver with a notch for the pin.
The smoother the parts, the lighter the springs needed.
Test with CCI Mag. primers in Speer plastic cases. If it will pop those, it will pop anything.
Thanks Dan done that on revolvers but I'm talking about the newer M&P semi-auto's.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:21 AM   #15
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
I have read the reviews, but an M&P to me is a Colt or S&W DA.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
I have read the reviews, but an M&P to me is a Colt or S&W DA.
It's a brave new world.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #17
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, and the faster I go the behinder I get.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #19

Tried the above today. Definite improvement and down to around 4# on the trigger with quicker reset. Haven't had it to the range to function fire yet but feel that it is going to help the groups.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #20
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
I hear the 1000 round trigger job works wonders.