Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

remington 700 XHR

Old 01-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #21
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
You can find the Savages all over gunbroker.
Nice choice.
When do we get to argue about what scope you should buy?
I don't think a Savage can be beat for the money, they're great guns and shoot really well.

As for scopes, Leupold bought the Redfield name and is starting to sell them again, they're american made, relatively inexpensive (I think they start around $150) and have Leupold quality behind them.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #22
Addicted to my DSLR
madisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Officer
madisonsfinest's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
And I don't think the 700 SPS comes in 30-06. I may be wrong though.
Use google and you will find it
Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #23
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the ruger hawkeye. The rifles came with rings and run about $600 new. The new triger breaks clean compared to the older mark II.
Caliber choice is a new bag of worms. 7mag is not bigger than the 06, just more powder. 30-06 will do great for elk and deer.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #24
Yo homie, that my briefcase?
ColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to behold

Name: Geoff
ColdZeroBSP's Tacoma Gallery
Just keep in mind what the application of the rifle is for. Personally I would not spend a whole lot on a hunting rifle for a few reasons:

1) It will be a safe queen for most of the year b/c .30-06 is expensive and punishing after 50 rnds or so.

2) It will most likely get banged up from being in the truck, out in the field

3) You only need to get average accuracy out of the gun for most hunting applications (2 MOA)

You can get a decent long action rifle and a quality scope (Bushnell, Burris) for $500-600. Leupolds are nice but not worth the cost imo.

If you want a long range target gun, you are talking a whole new ball game. Expect to put at least $1000 into any platform that will shoot sub MOA groups out to 600 yds. or so. These rifles need heavy bull barrels, high quality mounts/rings, quality scopes with high quality glass and large amounts of elevation adjustment, premium stocks with fiberglass bedding, premium or handloaded ammo.

Keeping this in mind will help you when deciding on a rifle. Savage gets another vote from me. Inexpensive but fantastic shooters, especially for your needs.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:58 AM   #25
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdZeroBSP View Post
You can get a decent long action rifle and a quality scope (Bushnell, Burris) for $500-600. Leupolds are nice but not worth the cost imo.
Leupolds are worth the cost IMO. If you want a scope that you can rely on and know that its not gonna move around on you after a few shots. I have a 3-9X50. its not the top of the line model but it was around $300. It has been worth every penny.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #26
Dogs n Trucks
Tadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant future

Marines: CWO2, 9th Marines
Name: Pete
Tadcaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Bah! I think you're ludicrous for wanting to drop that much on a hobby you've never done before (only NOT a hobby if you NEED to hunt, ie, live in the wilds of Canada and no grocery store within miles and it's too damned cold to try and grow something and your kids are stunted in growth from lack of adequate nutrition).
Doc speaks the truth. He must have hung out with Marines at some point!

Another point to consider if you're just getting into this is the recoil. Folks seem determined to go with large caliber and/or magnums, then are so put off by the kick that they don't practice to proficiency.

Granted out west you deal with ranges in excess of ours out here in New England, but consider a smaller caliber. My all time fave is a Ruger M77MkII in 6.5x55 Swede. I also have the same rifle in .308 for longer shots, a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem, and a sweet little A-Bolt micro hunter in .243 -- the light weight is offset by the minimal recoil.

With 14 years in the Marine Corps I've shot a few firearms, and can say that those I shoot best with are those I shoot most with...and those generally have less recoil. YMMV

Pete
Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #27
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well I was told that leopold(sp) was the way to go. I haven't researched the scopes yet. Probably get a scope with my tax refund, unless its an IOU...

I've seen a bunch online but I'd rather be able to hold the rifle before just buying one online just cause its a good price. Maybe I'm just stingy with my money but I do believe you get what you pay for.

So now its between the Savage 111 FHNS and the Remi 700 XHR. Only in 30-06.
There are a dozen scopes I'd buy before Leupold.
Easily the most overrated and over priced optics out there.
With Leupold, you pay for the first AND the replacement scope at the same time.
People in the know would buy a Nikon Monarch, Sightron SII or Bushnell 4200 Elite for less $ than Leupold, and have better glass and less likely to need repair/replacement in a few years.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #28
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ill give you the nikon, they do have very good optics. Stay away from sightmark! I had one on a gun that I bought and it broke after 40 rounds...it would no longer adjust the magnification.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #29
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Whats wrong with wanting to spend a little bit more than I had planned on a nice rifle.

Granted, I have never been rifle hunting before but what isn't there to like about it. Being outdoors, camping, hiking. It may seem ludicrous to some which is understandable. I think it seems pretty crazy for someone to spend $30k on a new truck then just spend more money on it to lift it and put bigger tires and nicer wheels on it. But to each their own right?

Plus, I hardly treat myself nice like this so I'm pretty excited about looking around and hearing what you guys have to say aobut the rifles, calibers, and scopes. I know 30-06 rounds aren't cheap but its the caliber I want.

Turns out the girlfriend is going to be getting me the scope for my birthday. I just have to start researching them and find out what exact kind I need.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 01-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #30
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadcaster View Post
in 6.5x55 Swede.
$$$$$
Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #31
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whats wrong with wanting to spend a little bit more than I had planned on a nice rifle.

Granted, I have never been rifle hunting before but what isn't there to like about it. Being outdoors, camping, hiking. It may seem ludicrous to some which is understandable. I think it seems pretty crazy for someone to spend $30k on a new truck then just spend more money on it to lift it and put bigger tires and nicer wheels on it. But to each their own right?
Absolutely nothing wrong with treating yourself. My point is just, be sure you like it before you drop the cash. If you're dead set on that rifle, see if you can find it for cheaper than new. Gunbroker.com is a good sight to piddle around on. Go visit your local ranges and see who has it, see if they'll let you try a few rounds (better yet, bring your own ammo). Make sure you like how it fits you before you buy it.

As for camping/hiking, hell I hear you. But most hunting isn't a multi-day affair. Depending where you hunt, of course. In Montana or "out west" it certainly could be a decent adventure. In the midwest, I've seen folks park their pickup on the road by their corn fields and pluck off deer at dusk. Not really the same type of hunting. Some folks have "deer camp" that's really a drunken male-bonding event (again, nothing wrong with that!).

I don't think anyone is telling you what NOT to do, just options on what you could do, based on anecdotal experience. It's your money. Blow it how you like. Lord knows I've got enough crap floating in my house that makes my fiance cross-eyed when she thinks of how much I've spent (don't try pointing out how much her shoes are costing, you'll lose that argument).
Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #32
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Rem 700P in 308. Got called in on a Friday afternoon and was told that I needed to get a rifle because I was starting sniper school on Monday. Zipped off to the local gun store and got the 700P and a B&L 10x Tactical Scope for it. I paid $400 for the rifle.

I was a counter-sniper for 10 years and beat the snot out of that rifle that entire time. I had planned to build a rifle to replace it, but Rem was always a tack driver.

I shot a 3" group with that rifle on Range 1 at Fort Meade. It was 600 meters with 15 min of right wind cranked in and the second shot went through the first hole. The other snipers would not even get out of their cars. Said it was to windy to shoot. Slackers!!

You can spend a lot of money on a rifle, but it does not mean it will shoot better.

G
Old 01-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #33
Addicted to my DSLR
madisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Officer
madisonsfinest's Tacoma Gallery
Also look at vortexoptics.com They have very nice glass for a very reasonable price.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #34
Dogs n Trucks
Tadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant future

Marines: CWO2, 9th Marines
Name: Pete
Tadcaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonKs View Post
6.5x55 Swede = $$$$$
How so? You can pick up a good rifle chambered for that round for $400 or so. Add $200 if you buy it new. Add a decent scope, but not one that will break the bank. (Why pay for sub-MOA when you have a 3" diameter killing zone on a whitetail?)

Box of 20 rounds costs $20. Cheap enough to get plenty of practice, and light enough recoil that it won't leave you sore.

Semper fi,
Pete
Old 01-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #35
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking for a great scope at a very good value, check out this brand:

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/index.html

The owner is a URD customer.

G
Old 04-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #36
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Well I ended up getting the 700 XHR in 30-06. Liked the adjustable trigger it came with and the triangular barrel seems to aim itself. Got a great deal on a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 with the BDC reticle. Girlfriend got me a Harris Bipod and nice hard case for it for my birthday awhile ago. I'll post pics soon.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #37

Firefighter:
PICTURES

sorry for the lame poser shots.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #38
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane Cypert View Post
If your budget is between $600-$800 please consider the following rifles that are just as good if not better than the Remington.

Thompson Center Venture: You can get it for around $500

Browning A Bolt: I got a 30-06 stainless steel with a Nikon Pro Staff stainless steel scope at Dick's in November for $799.

Weatherby Vanguard: I have heard good things about this rifle and you can get for under $500
x2 on the Weatherby! Can't go wrong with the 700 either though.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:00 AM   #39

Gun looks good man!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #40
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Another gun for consideration is the Marlin XL-7. Mine is in 30-06 and I love it. Under $300 at www.budsgunshop.com when I bought mine last year. Just another one to look into. If you have never been hunting, then you don't even know if you are going to like it. You can pick this gun up with a bushnell scope for under $400. Just a thought. Here is mine: