Notices

SIG556 or ar15

View Poll Results: Sig556 or = ar15
SIG556 16 32.00%
AR15 34 68.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #21
Addicted to my DSLR
madisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Officer
madisonsfinest's Tacoma Gallery
LMT makes a quality piston as well. How much are you going to shoot with it? If your not shooting a ton you could still go was a di carbine
Old 01-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #22
USNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: IS2(AW) @ NAS JAX
USNROBERTS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonsfinest View Post
LMT makes a quality piston as well. How much are you going to shoot with it? If your not shooting a ton you could still go was a di carbine
di carbine?
Old 01-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #23
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNROBERTS View Post
di carbine?
Direct Impingment.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
Skimafia is on a distinguished road
Skimafia's Tacoma Gallery
I got fed up with my DI AR and sold it. I ordered a Ruger SR556 Saturday night. I am excited to see how the piston system does.

Its about 500 more for a piston system gun, but I think it will be worth it.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #26
Trigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud of
Trigger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
Love the Sig but you would need to put a quad rail on it. The plastic ones they come with are kind of flimsy. I still thing the AR would be the best buy though. Whole lot more accessories out there for them at a whole lot better price.
x2// AR all the way. Might look into the S&W M&P 15 great AR.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #27
Triple Option
Slotback will become famous soon enoughSlotback will become famous soon enough
Slotback's Tacoma Gallery
Just get something. A nearby range is calling you.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #28
TBAGRR is on a distinguished road

TBAGRR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
x2// AR all the way. Might look into the S&W M&P 15 great AR.

Thats what i have!!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #29
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
If you are a high volume shooter or think it's cool to empty 30rd mags ASAP, the piston may be of some benefit, otherwise it's a novelty.
My Rock River AR does exactly what I want to do and doesn't have the porcupine mall-ninja rail.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
You keep your superheated filthy chamber and I'll keep my novelty, lol.
x2. And we will let them enjoy cycling jams, and spending an hour plus after each outing cleaning every nook and cranny of the chamber.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #32
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Strangely, I have neither problem.
I just keep shooting tiny, little groups with boring regularity.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #33
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
Strangely, I have neither problem.
I just keep shooting tiny, little groups with boring regularity.
Let me get this straight. You have a DI AR that the chamber stays clean and does not get fouling from superheated gases? Unless you don't shoot it, I call BS.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
Let me get this straight. You have a DI AR that the chamber stays clean and does not get fouling from superheated gases? Unless you don't shoot it, I call BS.
The only time I've seen chamber fouling was shooting a box of Wolf steel cased ammo.
My chamber gets cleaned about every 200rds and doesn't look bad then. Gas tube=never
I shoot high quality ammo and shoot for accuracy, not treat it like a video game prop.
No issues.
Sorry.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #35
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
I don't care how high quality the ammo is, if it's a DI AR, the chamber is exposed to superheated carbon-laced gases. Good for you that it's reliable. Most DI ARs are. But that doesn't change the fact of what the chamber and BCG are exposed to.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #36
Which gas piston rifle do you own Packer? Is it a sig?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #37
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery

Old thread, I know, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I have a Bushmaster AR15 that I've used as a project gun since 1997. I've built it and customized it to the way that I feel it's 'just right' for me. I decided it was time to bring it from Carbine to Mid-Length. I started adding up the cost of a new barrel, new gas tube, grips, etc.

In the end, I decided to spend an extra $300 over the cost of a new AR15 upper and get a great deal on a Sig 556 Classic SWAT.

Since that day, my venerable AR has become a safe decoration. I grab the 556 every time I go shooting. The Sig shoots tighter groups (which may be a testament to me being crappy armorer on the AR ), the trigger is just a beautiful thing. I've shot the crappiest .223 and 5.56 I can find, and the Sig has never balked on a feed or forced me to stop shooting to start cleaning. The folding stock is not anything to brag about, but it's a great thing for storage and transporting the 556. The factory grips are gone, and I've replaced the stock iron sights with AR-height ones that I like more. It's now more "Just Right" for me than my AR ever was.

Sure, the 556 is a heavier pig, but I just love the gun and shooting it is sincerely my favorite trigger-time. In the end, I feel it's been more reliable, more accurate, and just more fun.