1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New carry gun

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by kidthatsirish, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Apr 7, 2008 at 2:46 PM
    no_werries

no_werries Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 reg cab Indigo Ink 5 speed
    CAI, 2 1/2" rear lift AAL, Ready Lift strut ext. & diff drop = 2 1/2" front lift, tweaked clutch, Magnaflo Muffler & Custom exhaust 265/75/16lt Nitto Terra Grappler 8ply on stock rims. Huskyliners
    Shooting people and what not, you people scare me, guess im the idiot that'd bring a knife to a gun fight!

2. Apr 7, 2008 at 11:58 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    9mm +P+, in my 226, lol, jk.

depending on what kind of house you live in, 00 buck can be pretty bad too. #7 bird shot might be a pretty good idea. i live in an old house, so i have 00 buck though:p

3. Apr 8, 2008 at 5:46 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    We're (as usual) getting pretty far off topic here but here I go. :p
    Both a .38 and a 9mm are easily capable of penetrating several modern house walls and remain potentially lethal blocks away. IMHO in an urban area almost anything that penetrates more than a glaser safety slug is risky. Hollow points are great if you hit the intruder, but most people do not have the skills and training to be positive of hitting in a high stress probably low light situation. Even "highly trained" law enforcement personal miss a lot more than they hit if you dig into the police reports.

When consulted about choices for home defense, unless the person is willing to commit to training and regular range time for practice I usually suggest a good old fashioned 12 gauge shotgun loaded with #4 bird shot. It's inexpensive and easier to buy than a pistol in most areas. It's easy to learn to use and maintain. A charge of #4 has about 1700 footpounds of energy vs a high of around 400 for the small handguns but will not penetrate the outside wall of a house if fired from inside. Another benefit is the noise of a 12 gauge round being racked into the chamber is the most attention getting sound in the world.

4. Apr 8, 2008 at 5:58 AM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    I agree Thats why i said "in perfect conditions" relaxed, calm, and focused on the target.:rolleyes:

5. Apr 8, 2008 at 6:37 AM
    06tacoma

06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 XS-P Trd Longbed Double Cab
    20" enkei wheel,BFG G-Force tires, BHLM, Smoked tail lights, 2 RE Audio 10s, Quantom 900watt amp,10000K HIDs headlights and fog lamps,Borla exhaust, Borla drop in filter,Debadged tailgate,Painted black tacoma badges
    had a couple questions just turned 21 last month and i planned on getting my concealed weapons permit everyone that i talked to said i should go to the gun show and get it there is this a good place to get it at and also what should i expect

6. Apr 8, 2008 at 7:14 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    As usual you make some very good points Roland. i currently use a Glock .40 cal with night sights for home defense. But i'd like to get a nice tactical shotgun. although i will probably be using 00 Buck. I'm actually looking for a mossberg 590. does anyone have one or can anyone tell me about how much they run?

7. Apr 8, 2008 at 8:07 AM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    Interesting you say you want that particular shotgun Hmmmm... I just finished reading a book called persuader By Lee Child I know its off topic but this novel was fantastic and does a very good job of exploiting the pros and cons of the Mossberg Persuader shotgun Good Read!!!!:D

8. Apr 8, 2008 at 8:58 AM
    ChrisDeSoup

ChrisDeSoup Come on, Touch it......

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Sport
    Seatbelt Ding Mod All Weather Mats Gate Lock MOD Rear Spring TSB
    queif: Pussy fart or in other words during sex, a small pocket of air gets pushed into the vagina. As the air leaves the vagina, it causes a noise to sound like a fart.

from the latin - vagina wintus

he, he, he....

we are already off topic so fuck it..... got this off urbandict.com

9. Apr 8, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oh, absolutely Roland. I totally agree that handguns aren't the answer for home defense. I have an old 20 ga. Remington 870 that I use for that purpose.

I do keep 00 Buck in mine as well...but no matter what you've got in it, there's no substitute for that sound...

Pistols are for going to the range and for carrying with me when a shotgun is a bit too cumbersome or not conceal-able.

As for training, I couldn't agree more. Nobody goes to the range as much as they should or has had enough training to handle shooting balls on accurately in a situation where their life (or other's lives) depend on it. As you correctly point out, even most LEO's don't have enough and miss a whole lot more than they should.

That being said, I still believe that carrying permits and the like (when used) actually deter or prevent more lives being lost than they cause.

10. Apr 8, 2008 at 11:38 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    whats intersting about me wanting that particular gun. what are the pro's and con's of the mossberg?

11. Apr 8, 2008 at 12:02 PM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i just though it was pretty interesting that i just finished (last night) reading that book i was talking about and then get on this board and sure as shinola someone mentions that weapon! thats all :D

just off the top of my head some pros and cons
    cons:
    1. a shotgun is a bit too cumbersome or not conceal-able. (i know you said home defense) so probably not going to carry it in your pants in a holster :) but still for the sake of discussion
    2. extremely blinding (muzzle flash) in a close quarters combat situation being temporarily deaf and blind is a bad thing! unless your ready for it for example a swat team clearing a room or room(s) they are mentally and physically prepared for it
    3. if you use buckshot then your target area (spread) is greatly increased possibly causing harm to innocent bystanders :eek:

pros:

1. easy to use (point and shoot) or (pray and spray)
    2. extremely frightening to the perp when they hear that shotgun rack open then closed! (everyone knows that sound)
    3. this specific model is proven tactically time and again, from swat to navy seals spec ops teams (VERY RELIABLE AND EFFECTIVE)

just my .50 lol

12. Apr 8, 2008 at 12:10 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    the only thing i cant agree with is the buckshot spread. Buck shot stays very close for a very large distance before it starts to spread. even in the longest hallway of most houses, the spread shot would be contained within just a few inches from one end to the other.

the reason i like that particular gun is due to the large magazine and the compact size of the gun itself combined with the reliability. my buddy is a cop in Columbia and he was issued one and it is a kick ass gun. i want one bad now

13. Apr 8, 2008 at 12:18 PM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i hear ya man ! I want one real bad to. I guess its either this or a new good fiddle cant decide ahhhhh:confused:
    (guitar)

14. Apr 8, 2008 at 12:28 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    go with the mossberg. do you know what you can pick up a 590 for? i have priced some remington 870's but i think i have settled on the mossberg

15. Apr 8, 2008 at 1:04 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    The .50 cal is my absolute favorite weapon of all time. While I would feel very safe with an M-2 mounted at the top of the stairwell it's a bit of a bear to move around at 128 lbs (including the tripod). Obviously the second floor aiming down is the only safe place to use this in any but the most remote area since hit or miss that round is going to carry lethal energy for miles.

16. Apr 8, 2008 at 1:07 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    i wonder what a .50 cal would do if you shot it down a stair well? i bet it would tear the sheet rock off the walls on either side of it. and i bet the impact being only 20 feet from teh muzzle would send all kinds of deadly shrapnel from the floor in ever direction. sounds like a good youtube video....

17. Apr 8, 2008 at 1:14 PM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    :):):):):):):):) that imagery is fantastic i could totally picture having one of those mounted on the floor facing down the hallway talk about a REPORT! i think the percussion wave alone would incapacitate someone!
    sweeeeet

[​IMG]

18. Apr 8, 2008 at 2:57 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    My buddy with SWAT brought some of their toys to the range. MP-5, M16, flashbangs. I always enjoy shooting the full auto stuff. Last time I walked to the bay he was at and he wanted to hand me an MP-5. I declined since I had put my hearing protection away. Not a problem he said. This one is fully suppressed. Was like shooting a paintball gun.
    This has become my DREAM home defense gun. Just add a light to the rails and just point and shoot.
    A dream I will never see come true as long as I live in Kalifornia.

19. Apr 8, 2008 at 4:40 PM
    TacoMon

TacoMon Northern Alliance Gynecologist

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SB TRD Sport Indigo Ink Pearl
    TRD stickers removed, oem running boards, ipod2car, Combi-cam locks for bed storage doors, Covermaster E-300 tonneau cover
    I think it was on Guns & Ammo t.v. that had a cop who was also his departments training officer who used a left-handed Remington 870.

Why? Think about it, if you are a righty whitch side of the gun is the chamber on when you need to drop a round in the chamber as opposed to loading from the magazine. I thought this was brilliant and have been looking for a deal on a 12 or 20 gauge lefty since.

Does Mossberg make the 590 in a lefty?

20. Apr 8, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    well implied usage is in regards to personal defense, and that is what I was applying a shooter's/handgun's capability towards:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top