Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

What to do? Hmm

Old 02-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #22
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
I purchased a Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader, a sling that holds 15 rounds, bore snake and a bottle of Break Free for $560 out the door.

Attached is a stock photo, I didn't take a pic of it in the store.

This is my 27th birthday present to myself, my 26th birthday present to myself was the Taco
Oops, I missed that. Congrats!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #23
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
proper shot placement.
this is most important first and foremost

id rather have a .22 that i can shoot dead on than a 12ga that i cant hit squat with

with that being said...i disagree about the shotgun being the best HD weapon

there are times when it is...but most people wont hunker down in the bedroom with the gun already cocked and loaded...most people will go wander thru their house and then rack the shotgun when they find the intruder in an attempt to scare him

what the shotgun effectively does...is kill your tactical advantage...you have to either poke it around a corner before you can go around (giving an intruder a heads up) OR you can take the muzzle off a line of sight...causing your reaction time to go up...and reaction time is clutch... hundredths of a second could cost you your life

by racking the shotgun...if the intruder does mean to do harm to you or your family...he now knows that a) youre home and b) where you are...
Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #24
spatchley is a splendid one to beholdspatchley is a splendid one to beholdspatchley is a splendid one to beholdspatchley is a splendid one to beholdspatchley is a splendid one to beholdspatchley is a splendid one to beholdspatchley is a splendid one to behold
Army: 3-8 Cav
Name: Josh
spatchley's Tacoma Gallery
While I agree that rack a shotgun is a very menacing sound. I am a firm believer that if you are going to keep a gun for home defense it should be kept loaded and on safe. Most home invasions happen at night. So most likely you will be disoriented. An action that would take you a second to accomplish at the range will take considerably longer in a high stress situation. Also I would suggest looking into a tactical forend light. If you do need to use it in like I said before it will most likely be a low light situation. A tac lite will not only illuminate the target it will disorient them giving you an advantage.

With all that being said if you ever are in this situation call the police first. If you end up shooting someone they will go over every detail of the event. A lawyer could easily make a civil suit against you saying you were looking for a fight because you 'hunted' him down with a shotgun instead of calling the police
Old 02-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #25
Dr. Bronzbak
jterango is on a distinguished road
jterango's Tacoma Gallery
theres an new .410 pistol that would be perfect for home protection...its called the judge.not sure of manufacture.
if you want to target shoot buy a good quality .22 because its cheap to shoot.
walther p.22 and browning buckmark are both quality small guns that are not expensive.
remember this old rule:you'll never get your money back for a cheap firearm...but you always will from a quality firearm... plus cheap ones dont always work. good luck with your search.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #26
Lane Cypert is a jewel in the roughLane Cypert is a jewel in the roughLane Cypert is a jewel in the rough
Lane Cypert's Tacoma Gallery
The Tauras Judge is the revolver that shoot 410 Shells! I bet that thing packs a nice kick. I would like to shoot one!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #27
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
The weapon will be condition 1 at home, and condition 4 in the truck.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #28
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatchley View Post
While I agree that rack a shotgun is a very menacing sound. I am a firm believer that if you are going to keep a gun for home defense it should be kept loaded and on safe. Most home invasions happen at night. So most likely you will be disoriented. An action that would take you a second to accomplish at the range will take considerably longer in a high stress situation. Also I would suggest looking into a tactical forend light. If you do need to use it in like I said before it will most likely be a low light situation. A tac lite will not only illuminate the target it will disorient them giving you an advantage.

With all that being said if you ever are in this situation call the police first. If you end up shooting someone they will go over every detail of the event. A lawyer could easily make a civil suit against you saying you were looking for a fight because you 'hunted' him down with a shotgun instead of calling the police
not in Texas, this is called the immenent domain law. If they are in your house and are planning to do you harm you can kill them. Just make sure you kill them, a dead man tells no tails. This is from a police officer friend of mine.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #29
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

StZu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
this is most important first and foremost

id rather have a .22 that i can shoot dead on than a 12ga that i cant hit squat with

with that being said...i disagree about the shotgun being the best HD weapon

there are times when it is...but most people wont hunker down in the bedroom with the gun already cocked and loaded...most people will go wander thru their house and then rack the shotgun when they find the intruder in an attempt to scare him

what the shotgun effectively does...is kill your tactical advantage...you have to either poke it around a corner before you can go around (giving an intruder a heads up) OR you can take the muzzle off a line of sight...causing your reaction time to go up...and reaction time is clutch... hundredths of a second could cost you your life

by racking the shotgun...if the intruder does mean to do harm to you or your family...he now knows that a) youre home and b) where you are...
Tiger,
I agree with you for the most part, however with a shottie you dont have to be a crack shot. You can just point and pull, whereas with a pistol there is a greater chance of miss. Take into account adrenaline, darkness, etc... I think that the racking sound is a way of warning your attcker to your intentions, most of these guys are chickenshits and will hightail it out at the first sign of trouble.
What I do in my home is keep an open chamber with 00 magnum laying in the breach so I can 1/2 rack a round fast. I also have 2 boxers that serve as a great alarm, 1 of which will get in that ass if you are uninvited. The other one will give the invader kisses after Bruce rips his balls off.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #30
john32 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
john32's Tacoma Gallery
356 magnum, i mean why not, its a really fun gun to shoot and perfect for home security
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #31
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StZu View Post
Tiger,
I agree with you for the most part, however with a shottie you dont have to be a crack shot. You can just point and pull, whereas with a pistol there is a greater chance of miss. Take into account adrenaline, darkness, etc... I think that the racking sound is a way of warning your attcker to your intentions, most of these guys are chickenshits and will hightail it out at the first sign of trouble.
What I do in my home is keep an open chamber with 00 magnum laying in the breach so I can 1/2 rack a round fast. I also have 2 boxers that serve as a great alarm, 1 of which will get in that ass if you are uninvited. The other one will give the invader kisses after Bruce rips his balls off.
again...if you have the shotgun and do what MOST people SHOULD do (which is not go look for the intruder) its a fine weapon...i have 2 of them beside my bed...

however if youre going to attempt to be a hero...you'll want every tactical advantage possible...shotguns take a lot away for clearing a building
Old 02-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #32

StZu's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

That is the part I am agreeing with you on. The only place I am going is to make sure my son is safe. My wife shoots better than I do so I am not worried about her.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #33
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

then youre one of the smart ones

i have absolutely ZERO issue with using a shotgun for a defense weapon in certain scenarios...

besides the 2 i keep handy next to the bed i keep one in my patrol car for tracks in the woods etc...
Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #34
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wow, I had no clue ammunition like this existed.

http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/12gaugeammo.html
Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #35
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Flechetes, bolos, pirahnas, and dragons breath!

FUCKIN A! Nice boom stick!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #36
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
haha that ammo is sweet.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #37
spatchley is a splendid one to beholdspatchley is a splendid one to beholdspatchley is a splendid one to beholdspatchley is a splendid one to beholdspatchley is a splendid one to beholdspatchley is a splendid one to beholdspatchley is a splendid one to behold
Army: 3-8 Cav
Name: Josh
spatchley's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StZu View Post
not in Texas, this is called the immenent domain law. If they are in your house and are planning to do you harm you can kill them. Just make sure you kill them, a dead man tells no tails. This is from a police officer friend of mine.

Even if you are justified to shoot someone you are still vulnerable to a civil suit by anyone of the deceased's family members. Colorado has a similar law also known as the "make my day law". In a perfect world you would not have to worry about being sued for using lethal force to protect your family but unfortunately we do not live in that world.

I would think twice about using some of that ammo in a home defense shotgun. A few of those rounds look like they are designed to wound. That is the last thing you want. If you shoot to wound it can be argued that they weren't dangerous enough to be shot in the first place. Morale of the story if you're going to shoot, shoot to kill
Old 02-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #38
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatchley View Post
Even if you are justified to shoot someone you are still vulnerable to a civil suit by anyone of the deceased's family members. Colorado has a similar law also known as the "make my day law". In a perfect world you would not have to worry about being sued for using lethal force to protect your family but unfortunately we do not live in that world.

I would think twice about using some of that ammo in a home defense shotgun. A few of those rounds look like they are designed to wound. That is the last thing you want. If you shoot to wound it can be argued that they weren't dangerous enough to be shot in the first place. Morale of the story if you're going to shoot, shoot to kill
I'm pretty sure they're novelty rounds lol

I understand deadly force.

But the pepper shots look fun, could take down some mangy dogs/coyotes.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #39
Desert Dweller
Holling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud of

Holling's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
My buddy that lives in Vegas has a SA 911 and he loves it, I've never held it though.

I have another buddy in ATL that has a Taurus somethingorother and he loves his. Looks fake to me though lol
What is a SA 911? Is it a dialing device that calls the cops?
As mentioned earlier, Taurus is more times than not junk. Think of Taurus as the Fram oil filters of firearms.

Go to a range that rents guns. Try a few of the pistols and shotguns that have been recommended on this thread and get what YOU feel comfortable with. What you like, I may not and visa-versa. I'm a Glock man but I do own and love an XD-40 SC.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #40
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
again...if you have the shotgun and do what MOST people SHOULD do (which is not go look for the intruder) its a fine weapon...i have 2 of them beside my bed...

however if youre going to attempt to be a hero...you'll want every tactical advantage possible...shotguns take a lot away for clearing a building
Not to mention that in close quarters, a shotgun can miss just as well as a pistol.