LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Ruger MkIII disassembly?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger MkIII disassembly?

Anyone have one of these? The f'ing receiver will NOT come off of the grip!!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
Pitt1552 is on a distinguished road
Pitt1552's Tacoma Gallery
After you have the gun field stripped hold the grip in one hand hand tap the rear of the upper with a soft mallet. They are tight for a good while, ive got over 15000 rounds though mine and have taken it down many times and still need to tap it to get it apart. Also, be sure that the mag is out of the gun when doing so... if the mag is still in, she wont come apart.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...sName=View+All

I use that with one of the softer tips.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yeah, I did! I whacked the hell out of it with a rubber mallet, and now all I've got is a pistol that won't go together either - it's stuck half-stripped. UGH (Slightly frustrated, lol)

When I put the bolt in, the bolt release will not come up all the way now, so I think i successfully moved it a little bit forward, but not far enough.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Finally got it off! Had to beat the hell out of this thing, jeeez! Thanks for the help
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Love those Rugers!
I've been looking for a mkIII hunter 22/45.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Gah, I HATE THIS GUN. It's wonderful to shoot, but disassembly is abysmal!!! Everyone who says "Just read the directions" can fuck themselves.

Now when I put the receiver back on the grip, and then slide in the bolt, the bolt release still won't go up completely. I'm assuming this means something is wrong - does anyone know? My mallet and I made sure that the upper is all the way back on the lower.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
Taco.Tim is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
Taco.Tim's Tacoma Gallery
I heard the Rugers were not fun to take apart. That is one reason I bought my wife a Beretta NEOS. It is pretty easy to disassemble, plus it looks pretty cool.

Tim Glover
Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Slightly Sane
2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed
2 tacomas's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Mark III, disassembly / reassembly takes under 1 minute once you do it a few times. This link shows you everything you need to know and helped me a lot the first few times.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm
Old 02-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Yeah, well, thanks for the link, but I think this one might have to go back to ruger.

When I put the bolt in, the bolt release doesn't slide up. Something is wrong here
Old 02-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
Slightly Sane
2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
Yeah, well, thanks for the link, but I think this one might have to go back to ruger.

When I put the bolt in, the bolt release doesn't slide up. Something is wrong here
It sounds like you don't have the hammer fully forwards or the hammer strut is not in the proper position. Look at steps #6 and #8 again in the Ruger Mark III Field Stripping Reassembly Procedures link that I posted. I had the EXACT same issue when I first tried to clean my gun....it's frustrating the first time you do it yourself but once you figure out the right positions it will take you no time at all. If need be, post some pics of how you have everything right now and I can try to help you out.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
Carlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud of
Army:
Carlo's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same negative experience with my MkIII, the instructions suck. I had to do it a few times before I got it. Now, I just shoot it and dont worry too much about cleaning it like when it was new. I use a qtip and swab out the chamber area and a little lube. Mine shoots great. My only other complaint was the rear sight came loose after a few hundred rounds. I had to lock tight and lightly stake it. Weird.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 tacomas View Post
It sounds like you don't have the hammer fully forwards or the hammer strut is not in the proper position. Look at steps #6 and #8 again in the Ruger Mark III Field Stripping Reassembly Procedures link that I posted. I had the EXACT same issue when I first tried to clean my gun....it's frustrating the first time you do it yourself but once you figure out the right positions it will take you no time at all. If need be, post some pics of how you have everything right now and I can try to help you out.
Hm... The hammer is down when I slide the bolt in, but the bolt release (I'm referring to the button above and slightly to the rear of the trigger) will not move fully upward when I first put the bolt in, or ever. (Really wanting to curse here, I'm about to toss this thing in the trash.) But I do appreciate the help.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
Slightly Sane
Check out some of the other links off of the main link I posted earlier, some of them are much more detailed and should help you out. I can pretty much guarantee that nothing is wrong with your gun...it can just be like a rubix cube the first time you try to take it apart and put it back together.

Troubleshooting / solutions:
http://www.guntalk-online.com/TroubleshootingPage.htm

Bolt Assembly:
http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm#bolt

Good close-up of parts:
http://www.guntalk-online.com/mk3_pistol_nomen.html
Old 02-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
Grrrr.... Now I can't get the fucking bolt stop pin to go through the bolt either. When I put it in with the bolt out, it's fine. When I put it in with the bolt in, it doesn't go through completely. This thing sucks.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
Slightly Sane
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
Grrrr.... Now I can't get the fucking bolt stop pin to go through the bolt either. When I put it in with the bolt out, it's fine. When I put it in with the bolt in, it doesn't go through completely. This thing sucks.
If I were you, I would take a break from the gun for a few minutes. Go drink a beer, watch some of the race, and then go back to working w/ the gun. I recommend completely stripping everything and starting over.

Sometimes you just gotta walk away for a few
Old 02-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #16
Pitt1552 is on a distinguished road
Pitt1552's Tacoma Gallery
when you go to put the bolt stop pin in make sure that the little black bar in the grip isnt caught on the cross bar going through the grip... it should be swinging freely. the gun is a pain in the rear at first, but ya get to learn the quarks about it with time... i still manage to forget a step or two here and there... and kick myself when i realize what i forgot... great gun though. i have a mkIII hunter and the only problem ive had with it are the sights not being real good for target shooting... but from what ive heard ruger will send ya a new rear blade free of charge. Ended up throwin a red dot on there yesterday... gotta get her out to the range for some fun.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
Slaughtering goats
emtlibby will become famous soon enough
emtlibby's Tacoma Gallery
Mine requires the snot to be beat out of it to come apart. It gets easier the more times you do it. Also, try putting it in the freezer first! Worked for me.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #18
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If I were you, I would take a break from the gun for a few minutes. Go drink a beer, watch some of the race, and then go back to working w/ the gun. I recommend completely stripping everything and starting over.

True words of wisdom there!
Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #19
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Agree, I would start over after a break.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
Batman
airsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
airsoft_warrior's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to airsoft_warrior
I have a mkIII 22/45. I put about 300 rds in it yesterday and it locked up on me. I oiled the hell out of it and it is working great again. I havent tried to field strip it for the reasons mentioned above. Has anyone else had jamming issues. I think it may be because the bolt wasnt oiled enough but my ammo gets jammed a lot when it is trying to get jacked into the chamber. Almost all ammo has done this.