Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Visitors to National Parks Can Now Carry Guns

Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
J kool is a glorious beacon of lightJ kool is a glorious beacon of lightJ kool is a glorious beacon of lightJ kool is a glorious beacon of lightJ kool is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Retired
J kool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
A great victory for personal freedom and the Constitution.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/guns-na...ory?id=9910171

I agree .......
Old 02-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
AZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
AZBACKCOUNTRY's Tacoma Gallery
I've been to Katmai National Park in Alaska , kayaking for 10 days in 2004. The same year Treadwell was mauled by a grizzly. We saw a dozen bears that week. I really wanted my sidearm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A victory indeed- Great news!

Azbackcountry
Old 02-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
I smell corn
kilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gophuk Yousef
kilted1117's Tacoma Gallery

'Bout time!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, I read this in a NRA email last night!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I'm really of two minds on this. On one hand, I'm all for defending the Constitution and allowing firearms. I have a feeling that MOST gun owners are fairly responsible, and I don't foresee a lot of AR or AK toting idiots rocking their "full-auto" modifications on the side of the road.

On the other hand, I've backcountry camping dozens of times, in several states, and never had a problem. I've even shared the campsite a few times with black bears, big whoop. I can certainly see carrying firearms in places where there are grizzlies, but otherwise.... from a camping standpoint, a gun is just extra weight.

I guess only time will tell if this was a good idea, or a real bone-headed one.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Name: Curt
SteelRain's Tacoma Gallery
Hell Yeah!! Now we can protect ourselves from those evil squirrels who mug us on the trails and against the gang deer that constantly try to ram our cars.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Griztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post

On the other hand, I've backcountry camping dozens of times, in several states, and never had a problem. I've even shared the campsite a few times with black bears, big whoop. I can certainly see carrying firearms in places where there are grizzlies, but otherwise.... from a camping standpoint, a gun is just extra weight.

Of course there is also the issue of protecting yourself from two-legged critters as well.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Woohoo!!!! Good find!!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #13
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
How could the right to defend yourself and your family ever be 'bone-headed'?
x2 how on earth could this be a bone-headed idea?

This rule applies to the lawful gun owners. The bone heads have been carrying guns around where ever they feel fit regardles of the laws...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinal1223 View Post
Hell Yeah!! Now we can protect ourselves from those evil squirrels who mug us on the trails and against the gang deer that constantly try to ram our cars.
Don't forget the dive bombing attack birds
Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by griztaco View Post
of course there is also the issue of protecting yourself from two-legged critters as well.
x10000
Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #17
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Name: Curt
SteelRain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
Don't forget the dive bombing attack birds

I'll need to crack out my AA guns for those..
Old 02-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griztaco View Post
Of course there is also the issue of protecting yourself from two-legged critters as well.
Most 2-legged critters don't have the urge to walk 30 miles into a forest to maybe find a victim. There's plenty in any town. It's exceedingly rare to find violence in the backcountry.

As for being a "bone headed" idea, well, if the number of shootings and rates of violence escalate, then obviously this law had unintended consequences. I'm sure the idea behind this law is the 'protect myself from all the bad critters' mentality. And probably a host of other subtle, let's-set-a-precident matters.

I'm not against folks having guns (I own several myself). I'm against idiots having guns and f-ing it up for others.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Most 2-legged critters don't have the urge to walk 30 miles into a forest to maybe find a victim. There's plenty in any town. It's exceedingly rare to find violence in the backcountry.

As for being a "bone headed" idea, well, if the number of shootings and rates of violence escalate, then obviously this law had unintended consequences. I'm sure the idea behind this law is the 'protect myself from all the bad critters' mentality. And probably a host of other subtle, let's-set-a-precident matters.

I'm not against folks having guns (I own several myself). I'm against idiots having guns and f-ing it up for others.
"National Park Service officers are 12 times more likely to be killed or injured as a result of an assault than FBI agents,"
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0808/p03s01-ussc.html

"During 2006 there also were 320 assaults without weapons, 1,950 weapons offenses, 843 public intoxication cases, and 5,752 liquor law violations."
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/node/2390

"Just about any type of crime that goes on in any urban environment happens out here," said Dale Antonich, chief ranger at the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, located in Nevada and Arizona.
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=123679&page=1
Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinal1223 View Post
Maybe you don't, but I happen to live in an area with mountain lions and those bastards will attack humans. So I'm happy knowing I have a defense against them if I happen to cross paths with one.

Even the occasional bear can go after people.