1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions on Kahr Pistols?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by argm31i, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Apr 13, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    argm31i

argm31i [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm specifically looking at the P9 with tritium sights. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with them, or knows anybody with good/bad experiences with them.

Thanks.

2. Apr 13, 2008 at 8:32 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    I've got a K-9mm and a K-40S&W. Both are all stainless. No problems other than the 9mm was one of their first that had some tight chamber issues. Had the chamber throated so certain bullets were not shoved into the case while loading. This has been corrected years ago. Mine are both very reliable and accurate.
    I've got a couple freinds that have the polymer framed guns and there seems to have been an issue of the procedure necessary to remove the slide stop to field strip the gun for cleaning. There is a small spring that was easily bent if instructions were not followed closely. This may have been corrected but I don't know. One of these polymer guns was a 45 acp. and it was not reliable at all with several malfunctions. The 9mm seemed to be reliable.

3. Apr 14, 2008 at 6:29 AM
    argm31i

Member:
    Thanks.

I'm just looking for something that will be comfortable enough (I realize that nothing is actually "comfortable") to carry all day, and the P9 seems like a good fit for me (lowest I'd want to go for a primary carry in terms of caliber, and very concealable).

They've got one at a local gun shop here that has a build date in 2006 - seems new enough to have most of the "fixes" I've heard about in place - it's still new and they're willing to part with for the most reasonable price I've seen on them (because they've had it so long and it was a display gun).

4. Apr 14, 2008 at 6:39 AM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    I'm showing dealer cost on 3 versions of the P9 with 3" to 3.5" barrel length and NS's at $555 to $595. CW9 at $350. Looked at Kel Tec? I've heard good things though I don't own one. About $200.
    Later

5. Apr 14, 2008 at 6:46 AM
    argm31i

Member:
    I've looked at Kel-Tec (owned 2 P3AT's and currently own a PF-9). They're simply not reliable enough for me for a primary carry.

The 2 P3AT's I owned went back to the factory twice each, and they never got the bugs worked out.

The PF-9 was great until after about 900-1000 rounds through it, and it stopped feeding ammo at all (fire one shot, and the slide just rides right over the next in the magazine and closes up without a round chambered). It is going back to the factory this week, and if it comes back still having problems, that's when I go the way of the Kahr (I think).

I honestly love Kel-Tec's (especially for the price), but in that capacity, I want (need) absolute reliability, and I just haven't gotten it out of them yet. I have also heard good things, but I just haven't seen them.

The Kahr P9 I'm talking about, they have a price of $625 on it (with tritium sights and the stainless finished slide).

6. Apr 14, 2008 at 7:36 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I have a kahr K40. great size and feels good but i have had some similar issues as mentioned abover as far as a tight chamber. it is very tempermental about what it will shoot. ABSOLUTELY NO RELOADS!!! I am on the fence about whether i would use it for CC or not. reliability is the most important issue for CC and i have had that gun jam on me before. you probably wont have any issues with factory rounds but "probably" is not good enough when you need it.

7. Apr 14, 2008 at 7:47 AM
    argm31i

Member:
    I know what you mean about "probably" not being good enough. I think I'm going to do a little more research first.

8. Apr 14, 2008 at 8:41 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    when i was looking, the k40 was the same size as the k9. the only difference was that the 9mm held one more round in the mag. personally i would rather have 6+1 in .40 cal than 7+1 in a 9mm. but i dont know the specs on the actual gun you're looking at. Dont get me wrong, they're good guns, but i recomend running at least 500 rounds through it and find the perfect round before you carry it.

9. Apr 14, 2008 at 8:57 AM
    argm31i

Member:
    I agree about .40 vs. 9mm - I'd rather have .40 as well...but every carry gun is a balance between size, comfort, capacity and accuracy...and the 9mm is smaller and lighter (by a little bit) and carries one more round...and of course, there's always that old story that .22LR kills more people annually than any other caliber...don't know if it's true, but it makes sense because the round is so small that it goes in and bounces around.

10. Apr 14, 2008 at 8:58 AM
    MyTacoDidIt

MyTacoDidIt Member

Member:
    From the reviews ive read on Kahr firearms, they seem to be pretty good, other then whats already been said. Only other gripes people seem to have with them from the reviews is muzzle flip on the P9 and KP40 and faulty mag's . My ccw is a Walther p99 in .40 cal. I like it cause its thin and when wearing a IWB holster isnt that uncomfortable, plus the 12 round mag isnt bad either. My second choice would be a Glock 23... another nice choice i think.

11. Apr 14, 2008 at 9:03 AM
    argm31i

Member:
    See, I've got a Glock 23, and I've just never been able to find a holster that lets me carry that pistol anywhere near comfortably. I honestly believe that it's the width of the Glock (and pretty much any double stack pistol) that gets me every time...which is why I was contemplating the Kahrs.

I'd actually love to find a way to carry my Glock as easily as I presume I could a Kahr, I've just never been able to.

12. Apr 14, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I have a Glock 23 and love it. it is a little bulky for CC but because of its reliability and easy use and accuracy i may end up using it. best gun made!

13. Apr 14, 2008 at 9:28 AM
    argm31i

Member:
    Couldn't agree more with that statement about reliability.

The only issue I've ever had with mine was that one of the little metal flanges on the top of the receiver (take off the slide and look at where the back of the slide contacts that receiver) broke off one day when I was at the range. I fired it, and a small metal rectangle fell out that I didn't see fall out, but saw on the rest when I stopped mid magazine to get a casing out of my safety glasses. Even without this part, it still functioned perfectly for at least 8 more rounds (I say at least because there were that many left in the magazine when I paused and saw the metal rectangle on the bench).

Called and sent it back to Glock, and within 2 1/2 weeks, had my gun back with a brand new receiver. Got around 1000 rounds through it since, and absolutely no issues.

14. Apr 14, 2008 at 11:06 AM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    x3 RELIABILITY OF THE GLOCK 23 :D ITS MY CCW AND LOVE IT!
    however i have heard good things about the p9
    argm31i, Is there a gun range/rental place you can go to and put that kahr through its paces? reason i ask is because i was on the fence about buying my Glock until my local gun dealer opened a gun range/ gun rental place and they let me shoot one (all day) :) and as soon as i got warmed up to it i knew it was mine!

15. Apr 14, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    argm31i

Member:
    There are some around that do rentals, etc. like what you're talking about, but the problem is that none of them have any Kahrs to rent (which I presume is a good thing since that probably means that nobody has tried to re-sell them to the store). At least from what I know, most stores/ ranges only put guns out for rental that are used already because they'd rather not dirty up their new stock. Is that generally true?

16. Apr 14, 2008 at 1:52 PM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    That may be I'm not sure:confused: the store i go to actually gets a "demo" or reconditioned firearm from the Glock rep, i believe.. but like i said i'm not 100% sure

17. Apr 14, 2008 at 2:14 PM
    Pre08

Pre08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    SR5, 4X4, V6, 6Sp, DC
    They are a great gun. Also, look at the Taurus. i have the new 24/7 Pro Compact in 9. It's great!!

18. Apr 14, 2008 at 2:24 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    If comfort is your only drawback from carrying a glock, I'd check out the holsters made by Tucker.
    I personally have the Cover-up IWB for my PPK, which is the gun I carry for CCW. Plan to wait a good 16 weeks to get one, He's a one man operation. If I were to carry a Full size, though, I'd probably consider the Texas Heritage.

Edit: The web site stated the waiting time is now up to 5 months. So thats err??? 20 weeks?:confused:

19. Apr 14, 2008 at 10:55 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Kahr PM9 is my daily carry. I bought it after looking at KelTec and it was too small and too thin in 380. Kahr seems to have the dimensions right.
    That being said, my barrel is going back to be throated and feed ramp polished...not real certain that it feeds the HP's I like in a carry piece.
    Accuracy is nothing to shout about...7yds is about all I would hope to hit my target.
    Glock is dead reliable but double stack is alot more to conceal.

20. Apr 15, 2008 at 6:44 AM
    argm31i

Member:
    Thanks for all your opinions.

Thinkingman - I agree about double stacks. I love Glocks, but for me, they're too thick for CC.

Products Discussed in

To Top