Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Tikka

Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
sethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Missile Maint Tech, 2 Muns
Name: Seth
sethr21785's Tacoma Gallery
Tikka

I just ordered the Tikka T3 Lite 7mm rem mag from cabelas!! Anyone have this gun or shot one before? Most reviews are very good. Supposed to pick it up in a week.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethr21785 View Post
I just ordered the Tikka T3 Lite 7mm rem mag from cabelas!! Anyone have this gun or shot one before? Most reviews are very good. Supposed to pick it up in a week.
Tikka's are excellent!
I currently own two, both Lites.
7-08 and 300WSM.
Extremely accurate and very light for packing into high country.
The only thing I'd think about changing are the factory rings that come with it.
Mine have never failed, but it appears to be the weak link...unless you put a Leupold on it.
Oh, and get an SVL Limbsaver pad after you shoot the first two boxes of ammo.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
No experience with them but Shoot it and have fun! and get a quality base, rings and scope.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned a couple of them, 300 wsm and 300 wm, in the stainless T3 Lite configuration (I change a lot. In fact I may have even owned more?). They are very reasonably priced, extremely accurate, lightweight, have buttery smooth bolts, and great triggers. I don't love the styling but I don't hate it either. Perhaps a little too "modern" looking. Like Thinking man said, change the scope rings. The included ones are crap. I never loved the stock either. It is a little flimsy in the forened and the perceived recoil seems higher than other similar weight guns in respective calibers. Also like Thinkingman said, get the SVL butt pad. It's $20 well spent.

I'm quite nit picky though. Honestly, if I had to own one rifle for the rest of my life. The Tikka wouldn't be a bad choice. It's a lot of gun for the money. Way better value than many of the others available in the same price range.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
sethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
The only thing I'd think about changing are the factory rings that come with it.
Mine have never failed, but it appears to be the weak link...unless you put a Leupold on it.
Oh, and get an SVL Limbsaver pad after you shoot the first two boxes of ammo.

I heard that the rings are not great... I asked the guys at cabelas and they said the rings are fine. Maybe they dont know what they are talking about. Leupold is all I buy for scopes. Prob going to put the vx-II on it since most use will be for deer hunting.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Yo homie, that my briefcase?
ColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to beholdColdZeroBSP is a splendid one to behold

Name: Geoff
ColdZeroBSP's Tacoma Gallery
No experience with them. I've heard and seen that they're one of the most accurate hunting rifles available though.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I used the stock rings on the first Tikka I owned and they were fine. I used Leupold rings on the second and they were also fine. The stock rings worked great while I had it but they are a little chinsy. The Leupold rings are definitely beefier. You need to be careful with Leupold rings though. If you don't get the front ring twisted perfectly, it can tweak your scope. The same is true of the rear ring drift screws. You really need one of those aligning tools to get it right. Midwayusa.com sells an alignment, lapping, and torque wrench set for mounting scopes that's pretty nice.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBoy View Post
I used the stock rings on the first Tikka I owned and they were fine. I used Leupold rings on the second and they were also fine. The stock rings worked great while I had it but they are a little chinsy. The Leupold rings are definitely beefier. You need to be careful with Leupold rings though. If you don't get the front ring twisted perfectly, it can tweak your scope. The same is true of the rear ring drift screws. You really need one of those aligning tools to get it right. Midwayusa.com sells an alignment, lapping, and torque wrench set for mounting scopes that's pretty nice.

Thanks for the info. Pretty sure I am going to have the guys at cabelas mount and bore sight the scope for me. Although I did mount my leupold on my savage without issue..
Old 03-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Buy Deadnutz, Warne or Talley's and be done with it.
You can do a lot better than Leupold.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
my brother in law has one in an ultralite in a 300 win mag. the recoil is incredible! haha
Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
my brother in law has one in an ultralite in a 300 win mag. the recoil is incredible! haha
That's why I said shoot a couple boxes of ammo before the Limbsaver(shouldersaver!)
Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I've always ran leupold. my grandpa was a gunsmith/hobby'ist and he ran leupold on all his guns. Never any problems with any of them.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's why I said shoot a couple boxes of ammo before the Limbsaver(shouldersaver!)
yea, your gona need it with that sumbitch!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #15

Quote:
or maybe a muzzle brake..but then it will be about 10x louder!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #16
Dogs n Trucks
Tadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant futureTadcaster has a brilliant future

Marines: CWO2, 9th Marines
Name: Pete
Tadcaster's Tacoma Gallery
I've never used a muzzle brake because of the noise, but the occupant of the summer cottage a couple hundred yards below me is so obnoxious that I'm seriously thinking about adding one to the arsenal just for the annoyance factor when I target shoot.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Buy Deadnutz, Warne or Talley's and be done with it.
You can do a lot better than Leupold.

I am a pretty loyal leupold customer but I will def look into these. I know there is much better scopes for killing paper but my guns are mostly used for hunting. I am going to call them tomorrow to get an update on the gun.. Hope I can pick it up this weekend. As soon as I get it I will be sure to post some pics and a overall review.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #18
1 big skeeter has a spectacular aura about1 big skeeter has a spectacular aura about

1 big skeeter's Tacoma Gallery
I have an older model Tikka in 7mm mag with the synthetic stock.

First thing I did was put a DECELERATOR recoil pad on it. HUGE DIFFERENCE!!
I tried the LimbSaver but wasn't impressed. Still rattled my teeth. But YRMV.

Next were the Dednutz scope mount-SOLID! I have Dednutz on ALL my long guns.

It's VERY important to ensure your scope rings are lapped so your scope tube isn't torqued. If it is torqued, your shots may/will vary with each recoil of the weapon.

Sling is important! Sling for a long gun is like a holster for a pistol.

Good Luck!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #19

I called josh at cabelas today and he said he had some good news and some bad news. The gun was there but apparently they double stamped the serial number on the barrel?? WTF. Now I am going to have to wait atleast another week to get this gun..
Old 03-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #20

can they give you like 100 bucks off and keep it as is?