Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Gun safe in the garage?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Gun safe in the garage?

I have a pretty small house and were about to have a baby so I'll be losing even more of my space.
I really want/need a gun safe and was wondering how practical or safe it is to keep a gun safe in the garage? If I did get one, it would be a larger, heavier one and I might even frame it in to the garage, to further prevent theft or being seen by crooks.
Would the guns be exposed to any more humidity out there than they would in the house? anything I should take into consideration?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
The guy that lives across the street from me has a 45 gun() framed into his garage and he has everything from brand new to waaaaay vintage and he doesnt have any problems. If you want to be on the safe side(no pun intended) you could just put a dehumidifier in the safe.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
When I redid my garage I insulated it. I have my hot water heater in there. I notice no humidity increase and it actually stays about 65 degrees with my gas water heater.

I say go for it.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
I put mine in the closet behind some clothes, you wouldnt even know its there unless you actively looked for it. The dehumidifier is a good idea. And take that rope down that hangs off of the garage door opener. All a thief has to do is hook that and pull your door up.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cool, thanks for the help guys. I wish I could put it in a closet but our closets are pretty small and narrow, so thats a no go. I will eventually end up with a safe in the garage and im gonna rig up some kind of lock on my nightstand for my "bump in the night" gun. right now its just in a case under my side of the bed..
Old 03-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
If I had a hammer...
XSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1/327th 101st ABN
Name: Rik
XSB41's Tacoma Gallery
You can get silicate packets that absorb moisture that I have found to work well; just make triple dog sure yer bolted in to the max, perhaps rig up an alarm and disguise the safe where it won't be easily noticed when the door is up...
Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is in the garage, backed into a cubby, can't be see from the street.
Anchored to the floor.
ALWAYS use a dehumidifier.
Goldenrod is my choice, convection.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #8

I've always seen those Goldenrod things and never really knew what they would be used for but now I get it! haha
And I will be framing it in and probably adding pegg bored to the side facing the street and hang a few garden tools from it so it will just look like another wall.. Ive got a few projects this summer and this will be my favorite one for sure

Now I just need to pay off my TV so I can get a nice safe!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
hkbeliever will become famous soon enoughhkbeliever will become famous soon enough
hkbeliever's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how humid of a climate you live in the dehumidifier is a must. When Your vehicles pull in covered in rain or snow that moisture has no where to go. If your garage is not heated you will have a condensation problem on your guns when the temp drops and you will get rust as a result. I live in a very dry climate and we still have that issue in an area similar to this. Goldenrod is great and cheap to run but the silica packets are only good if you have a closed system(air tight) and none of the safes are closed completely.

Another concern is the concrete to steel issue on the floor. You will get corrosion both on your safe and guns if you dont elevate the safe from the floor. My suggestion is at least 2x4 frame that you bolt through to the floor. This allows some buffer if you get some water on the floor and some circulation of air to dry the same problem. No matter what, hiding it with pegboard is great but you have to bolt this to the floor as well. Even though they are heavy, if it is in the garage anyone in the know and with 4-5 guys can load a fully loaded safe into a pickup and drive away in less time than it takes to get a call to 911...
Old 03-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v
ak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ak47's Tacoma Gallery
depending on your garage size maybe frame off an area that looks like a canning room or such with a false wall in the back and insulate it. something where it would take awhile for someone to find. they'd be more likely to grab the power tools laying around then search for something they dont know is there.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
First, I would buy a dehumidifier rod for inside the safe. Second, my brother in law put his in the garage and mounted it on top of 4 hockey pucks and bolted through them into the floor. I wouldn't use wood because it can wick up water and then you have water against the metal.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
First, I would buy a dehumidifier rod for inside the safe. Second, my brother in law put his in the garage and mounted it on top of 4 hockey pucks and bolted through them into the floor. I wouldn't use wood because it can wick up water and then you have water against the metal.
Good point I forgot to mention.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #14

I will definetly be bolting it to the ground. And i didnt even think about elevating it!
how does the goldenrod work? it has to be plugged in right? will the safe door close with a cord coming out of it?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #15
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I will definetly be bolting it to the ground. And i didnt even think about elevating it!
how does the goldenrod work? it has to be plugged in right? will the safe door close with a cord coming out of it?
A lot of larger safes have a small hole in the back of the safe near the bottom to run a cord for the rod.

Wow.. that doesn't sound dirty
Old 03-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #16

lol, thanks.

Academy is the only place that sells them here, I would like to buy local so i dont get raped on shipping...
Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #17
hkbeliever will become famous soon enoughhkbeliever will become famous soon enough
hkbeliever's Tacoma Gallery
all the goldenrod does is increase the temp slighly which decreases relative humidity in the immediate area. It will in effect circulate the air in your safe slowly as well which is key.
Normally the plug dissasembles so you can feed the wire through the safe manufaturers access hole. Your paperwork that came with your safe will show where it is or where you can drill easily to install. (at least mine did). Great tip by the way on the hockey pucks for elevating. No conductivity or water issues. There are some safe lighting options that can be added to the goldenrod power access as well but I went with the cheapo stick on type lights that you push to turn on. Added velcro to the back and now I can stick them where I need them in the shelves or sides depending on where I need the light.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #18

Nice, if I did put a light in it, I would just do a stick on battery powered type.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
Another note...drill throught the hockey pucks for your mounting bolts or buy oversized stainless steel sleeves for the mounting bolts.
These will rotate if someone tries to get a sawblade on the bolts.
A little frustration can go a long way with criminals....but if they're determined enough, your safe is toast.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #20
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Kevin, I got my safe from Tractor Supply which is a ranch store here in NorCal. You might have them there if so I get a monthly flyer and got a 21 gun safe for $699 and I picked it up. This safe came with a 110 plug in on the inside for 2 outlets and an adapter cord to plug in on the Back. Also if you use Stainless steel bolts they are a lot harder to cut and are water resistant if you do get water in your garage.
In Stores Only. Click Here to Find Your Local Store.
PRICE: $699.99

Print this Page

Product Reviews
OVERALL CUSTOMER RATING:

11 out of 11(100%)customers would recommend this product to a friend.
Read all 11 reviews Write a review

View Larger
SKU Number: 3809071
Manufacturers Number: TS6030E/21
Gun Safe | Brand : Cannon Safe | Exterior Dimensions : 60 in. x 30 in. x 20 in. | Interior Dimensions : 58 in. x 28 in. x 17.5 in. | Capacity : 24 Rifles | Overall Color : Textured Black | Warranty : Limited Liftetime

DETAIL DESCRIPTIONTechnical SpecificationsReviews
Store up to 24 rifles in the Cannon TS6030/21 E-lock Gun Safe.

Size: 60 in. H x 30 in. W x 20 in. D
24 rifle capacity
U.L.® RSC security rating
21 cu. ft. of storage space
Deluxe 5 spoke handle
Commercial grade e-lock allows owner to change combination
Built in Power Box provides two outlets inside safe
Automotive grade upholstered shelving and interior walls
Adjustable tracks allow shelves to be raised, lowered, or removed
Pre drilled for bolting to floor
1 in. thick multi-layer door with 1 in. locking bolts
3 layers of armored hard plate protect the lock mechanism
Spring loaded re-locker keeps safe locked even after lock has been removed
30 minute fire rating
Expandable fire seal helps keep out smoke and heat - seal expands up 12 times its size
Residential Warranty: Free repair or replacement of safe after a fire, natural flood or burglary attack
Limited Lifetime Warranty