Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Albany bills cause sportsmen anger, frustration

Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Albany bills cause sportsmen anger, frustration

This is my home state and I could not be more ashamed. New York is a mess and the reason can not be discussed here but it's pretty obvious to those with any sense.
My dad and his wife are putting their home outside Albany up for sale next year and coming to the free state of AZ; I can't wait.

Quote:
The bruising left behind by the most recent hunting, fishing and trapping license fee increases are not yet fully healed and sportsmen already see that the 38-percent increase they are paying for their licenses will do little to insulate them from the fiscal chaos in Albany.

The 2010 legislative meeting of the New York State Conservation Council this past Saturday was a real eye opener. The insanity that is Albany is mind-boggling. You wouldn't think that there are budget problems or a daily deepening of the fiscal crises that grips Albany by the throat.
In combination, members of the Senate and Assembly have introduced over 17,000 bills this session (2009-2010). By some estimates, it costs thousands of dollars to introduce and manage each bill. That should come as no surprise as the latest estimate of the cost to run the Senate and Assembly is $210 million a year. You would think that during a time of fiscal crises, every member would exercise self control. But this is not the case.

Each spring, the council meets to discuss the bills that are in the legislative hopper that could have either direct or indirect impacts on hunting, fishing and conservation activities across the state. Ballooning the list is the perennial mountain of anti-gun legislation.

Representatives from sporting groups from Long Island to Niagara Falls spent most of Saturday reviewing the Council's 2010 Legislative Report. The mission: try to understand what the bills are supposed to accomplish with the objective of providing the delegates with enough information to vote on behalf of their constituencies on whether they should support or not support the bills under review.

The mood in the room, while at times jovial, swung between confused and frustrated, and ocassionally rising to agitated and angry. Sometimes, the delegates were simply amazed that some of the bills even managed to get a number assigned. I came away from the session feeling that it was well worth my time; it was a real eye-opener, because just when you think you've seen it all, you discover that you haven't.
Continued here:
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20100318/SPORTS06/3180313/Albany-bills-cause-sportsmen-anger-frustration
Old 03-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
So glad/proud to live in the south
Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
04YodaTaco will become famous soon enough
04YodaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Many more issues in this state as well that I won't go into. Things are rapidly getting worse.

I am an avid fisherman that hunts game occasionally with friends who are more experienced in that. I used to get a sportsman's license that would cover both, but will not anymore because of the increases. Only fishing.

I also own an older snowmobile that I only ride occasionally locally when the conditions allow. The registration is so high now I can't justify that anymore either and will probably put the sled up for sale. Or just ride without a reggie, screw 'em. The registration fees are supposed to go only for trail maintenance funds. Yeah right.

Also good luck getting a pistol permit around here.

I am strongly considering moving out of this state soon. I am doing research and Arizona is one I am considering. It's too bad because New York is a beautiful state with many many outdoor recreation/hunting/fishing opportunities. I would especially miss the fishing.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
The good news is, AZ has some good fishing here too. In fact there are more boats per capita in Az than in any other state.
Wow more than I thought. I just did a lil browse here http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/where_fish.shtml. Even native brown trout. I should have known considering AZ has mountains and isn't just a big desert. Sorry about going off topic a bit as this is in the guns&hunting section.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
No sweat.
What part of central NY are you from? I lived in Brookfield for a few years. You may not have heard of it; hell the neighboring towns barely know it's there.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Don't think I've been there but it is Madison county maybe? I'm near Syracuse.