Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Mosin Nagant 7.62 ????

Old 03-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
USNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: IS2(AW) @ NAS JAX
USNROBERTS's Tacoma Gallery
Mosin Nagant 7.62 ????

Saw these at a gun show for about the same price. Has anyone had any experience with them? I figured one more gun around the house cant me a very bad thing right? Any info is helpful.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s..._M44_Rife.html
Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
JGRTRDTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
JGRTRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mosin Nagant

I have two M44's, One that is all original that was never shot untill last year, the other is customized with a synthetic stock where you could still use the spike. The original I bought off a friend for $125 a couple years ago and I paid $300 for the custom recently at a gun show. Ammo is cheap and with tons to be had it is a BLAST to shoot. You can't go wrong with that rifle!
Old 03-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
USNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Haha thats what i figured. I just built an ar15 and was gonna grab a little p22 for my girl when i saw the rifle. Gonna head back tomorrow and do it up !
Old 03-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Desert Dweller
Holling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud of

Holling's Tacoma Gallery
That is a smoking price!!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #5

Alright i bought it and a walther p22 with laser while there. The Mosin Nagant is a 1938. But looks sweet!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
thats a sweet deal for the mosin i think...

how much did you pay for the p22? have you shot it yet?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #8

The Mosin can be found for cheap but 100 out the door no ffl fee or tax or shipping is good i believe.

I havent shot the p22 yet but it was 279.99 after i talked them down. And the Walther laser was 100. Im not gonna lie the laser is a blast. Its a fun gun for me. Going to wally world for a box of ammo. I want one of the silencers for it but that price and a tax stamp is ewww.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i used to have a p22...it was fun to shoot...i just needed something bigger than a .22lr and with no exposed hammer
Old 03-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
yea i almost bought one last year for shits i might grab one soon just to throw around at the ranch
Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #12

Old 04-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
Black Rock Taco is on a distinguished road
Army: Nat'l guard medic and supply sgt.
Black Rock Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Shooting the M-44

A friend here on the forum has a few M-44's. It's been years since I shot one, but we all agreed that the combination of shortness and light weight made it quite unpleasant to shoot. The 7.62x54R is comparable to the 30-06. The full size Moisin-Nagant M-91 is much gentler, but also much more cumbersome.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
IrishTaco10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
IrishTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rock Taco View Post
A friend here on the forum has a few M-44's. It's been years since I shot one, but we all agreed that the combination of shortness and light weight made it quite unpleasant to shoot. The 7.62x54R is comparable to the 30-06. The full size Moisin-Nagant M-91 is much gentler, but also much more cumbersome.
the gun weighs a bit under 9 lbs. I own one and they aren't that light lol. I spent $170 on a 1955 romanian made mosin. not real accurate but worth it.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery

Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #16
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
Buy ammo in bulk. I've seen tuna cans of 440 rounds for as low as $70. Though, times change and the more average price is around $100 7.62 x 54R
Old 04-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #17
IrishTaco10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
IrishTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule View Post
Buy ammo in bulk. I've seen tuna cans of 440 rounds for as low as $70. Though, times change and the more average price is around $100 7.62 x 54R
cheaper than dirt usaully sells them for about 100, otherwise theres classicarms.us which more often than not will have some.

ive found no difference between the surplus russian, hungarian, and romanian rounds, they seem to shoot the same.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #18
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country View Post
shit u can buy mosins for less than 85 dollars in texas and on the internet
True. Sold all of our Mosins, not too accurate.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
MGRS is on a distinguished road
Army:
MGRS's Tacoma Gallery
All surplus ammo is corrosive primed. This means each round fired will blow salt in your bore, chamber, bolt face, and firing pin. Most surplus ammo is steel cased and will not expand like brass to properly obturate your chamber. Your bore and chamber will be rusty or worse, pitted badly if you do not clean it properly after use.

That is a good price (today) for an M44. M44s used to be $50-70 a few years ago but now seem to be less common than the 91/30s.

The average M44 on the market today will look good on the outside (they are mostly refurbs) but the bores are worse off than the average 1891/30. Most are counterbores with dark or frosty grooves. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it is better to have a counterbored rifle than one that needs a counterbore done but does not have one.

There is a difference in ammunition. In addition to different years/countries of origin/case materials, there are bullet weights to consider. Go for light ball (147 grain) as it was designed for use in rifles. Heavy ball (180 gr) while your rifle can handle it just fine was made for use in HMGs and will beat your shoulder up. POI will also be higher.

Bulgarin LB (1950s) has been the most accurate in my 91/30s.

Mosins are hit or miss on accuracy. M44s are generally difficult to shoot well, having a short sight radius and permanent bayonet stuck on there. I have never done better than 6 minutes with mine off a rest.

With 91/30s I have done 3 minutes with surplus ball at 100-200. This is without any accurization work.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
Newbee
MNTaco is on a distinguished road

MNTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have an m44. The rifle is great because you can really impress your friends with the ginormous fireball that comes out of the muzzle

The m44 carbine is going to be a little harder on your shoulder than the 91/30 will be. In terms of accuracy, the m44 isn't so great. If you want a shooter, you're going to want to buy the 91/30. If you have some money to spare, I would buy both.

Make sure that you have matching serial numbers on the reciever, bolt, buttplate, and the bottom of the magazine cover. MGRS has a good point. You should definitely clean your weapon properly after firing as you may get severe rust if you don't. I just bring some Windex to the range and squirt that down the barrel after firing as it will neutralize the corrosive salts. Then I do a thorough cleaning when I arrive home.

Clean the gun well after you purchase one because it will be caked in cosmoline. This means you have to disassemble EVERYTHING and clean it. Best of luck in finding a beautiful battle axe that is a very decent shooter

Regards, MNTaco