Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Suggestions for a .308 in an AR frame?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
nitrus5 is on a distinguished road
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestions for a .308 in an AR frame?

I've been looking at all different types of AR's and like the Bushmasters as well as the Rock River ones. I just can't find much for a .308 in an AR frame. I looked at the Remington R-25 in the .243 caliber, but it was fairly heavy. And the Remington's although produced by Bushmaster i'm told don't have the 2 stage triggers like their Bushmaster family. Any suggestions?

thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Rbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the rough

Name: Richard
Rbohno's Tacoma Gallery
The caliber depends on what purpose you are using it for, I bought my Bushmaster a month after 9/11 and the only caliber that I could find readily available was .223, I wanted a .308
I came home with that and a case of Wolf ammo and my wife thought I was crazy, she said "what, do you think the Taliban is going to come marching down the street".
.223 has a much flatter trajectory thus better for long range target/varment shooting.
.308 has more knock down power
Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
SigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: STS
SigSense's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Look at the DPMS line of 308 AR platforms. I have a AP-4 with a quad rail and it is solid. Mounted an ACOG on the picatinny and it is dead-accurate.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
Do you mind me asking what you gave for the Dpms?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
SigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: STS
SigSense's Tacoma Gallery
I paid $950 for it when they first came out years ago.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
Look at POF Patriot Ordanance factory(they're pricey but excellent weapons) or Noveske rifleworks. If your looking for a .308, you can never go wrong with an M-1A from SA. With the Troy Ind. chassis, they handle very similair to an AR platform. Shoot a msg to PackerfanXD, he should be able to set you straight with other mfg companies.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the help everyone! I've got tax money burning a hole in my pocket, so I think i'm finally going to get an Allpro bumper and a new rifle.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
TBAGRR is on a distinguished road

TBAGRR's Tacoma Gallery
research AR-10 you should come up with all the .308 stuff you want!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Im saving up for a LWRC REPR. Of course its quite expensive but none of the other .308 ARs keep gas out of your face suppressed.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I recently shot both a Rock River in 308 and a DPMS in 308 side by side. They were both nice. The only difference I noticed came down to types of stocks, pistol grips, and sights. That stuff can be changed on any of them.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I shot an AK in a .308. It was fun to just blast around but I'll stick with my AR
Old 04-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
I talked to a buddy that has a DPMS in .223 and he has shot ALOT of rounds through it and has recently had internal parts failing on him. I haven't heard of it happening much and he does shot alot.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrus5 View Post
I talked to a buddy that has a DPMS in .223 and he has shot ALOT of rounds through it and has recently had internal parts failing on him. I haven't heard of it happening much and he does shot alot.
That doesn't suprise me. That's why I upgraded my BCGs on both of my DI ARs. Tell him to get a LMT BCG for it.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #16
nitrus5's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't shot one of these but really like the looks of it. May have to see if I can take a closer look at one when the retailers around here finally get some in stock. I'v been watching my local Cabela's. I know I don't NEED a .308 but but i really WANT one. I've got 2 bolt action .223's and sometimes I just want to make sure the coyote isn't going to need a second shot! haha

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog-308ORC.asp