Notices

So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs

Old 07-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #61
BMart is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
BMart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimonback View Post
I know nothing about ARs, but plan on buying one after replacing my shotgun. In Cabela's yesterday, I saw a no-frills model (guessing a 16" barrel) for $499. Is it possible that's a decent rifle? I've had a couple of Mini-14s that I couldn't shoot for sh*t, even with my homebrew reloads, but my wife would like to own a decent black rifle, and I have no desire for an SKS (had one) or AK.
Possibly. I would pass if its made by Olympic, Hesse/Blackthorne, or Roggio. Hard to tell without knowing more about the rifle. If you're on a tight budget Spikes' Tactical makes an excellent AR for a bargain.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #63
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
I have a question.

My gas block has a picatinny on it, and is lower than the receiver.

I plant on using the Magpul MBUS sights. I know I shouldn't put the polymer sign on the gas block due to heat issues.

If I put a small riser on the gas block to level out the sights, is it then ok to put the MBUS sight on that riser, or should I get a small rail and mount it on my hand guard?

Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #64
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
I have a question.

I plant on using the Magpul MBUS sights. I know I shouldn't put the polymer sign on the gas block due to heat issues.

If I put a small riser on the gas block to level out the sights, is it then ok to put the MBUS sight on that riser, or should I get a small rail and mount it on my hand guard?

ive never really noticed this but that is spikes lower right?

that picture looks like a bucktoothed Klansman lol
Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #66
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
I'd scrap the MBUS and get a sight designed for the gas block like this sweet MI HK style front sight.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...sting-_-177563
Yea, already thought about that. But, I scored a pair of MBUS's for way cheap, so I bought them.

Trying to figure out a way to use the front sight instead of reselling it.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #68
Mob parking lots.

Quote:

Quote:
Keep them for your next rifle. There will be another eventually.
Soooo...you have no input on this possible solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanSR5x4 View Post
ive never really noticed this but that is spikes lower right?

that picture looks like a bucktoothed Klansman lol
Yes, it's a Spikes. I don't know how you're getting klansman out of a spider, but ok.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #69
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Soooo...you have no input on this possible solution?
I gave you my solution. If you don't like what I suggested, do something else and piss off.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #70
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
I gave you my solution. If you don't like what I suggested, do something else and piss off.
Ok? haha

Don't have to be a dick about it.

I was just asking if it would work.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #72
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Listen, I told you what I would do and then you come at me with: "Soooo...you have no input on this possible solution?"
So, who's being a dick?
You because you told me to piss off. haha Text doesn't have tone brother, I wasn't being a dick, merely making one more attempt to see if you had an answer for me.

I didn't ask what you would do, I asked if what I thought about doing would work. Figured you'd know, since you're the resident AR-15 guru.

Sorry for bothering you, sir.

/unsubscribed.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #74
white96850turbo is on a distinguished road
white96850turbo's Tacoma Gallery
I have the MBUS on my AR and hate them... They look cheap, feel cheap, and when folded the rear one gets in the way of my Eotech 512's (unless i mount my 512 very far foward, witch i do not like) buttons. I wish I would have just paid the extra $50 to get some nice low profile / fold flat sights. I would say get some MI or YHM low profile sights so they don't get in the way of your optic.

I've never used / know of anyone that has used a riser on a gas block to mount their back up sights, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Good luck on what ever you end up going with!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #75
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Old 10-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #76
blendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blendedfamily's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white96850turbo View Post
I have the MBUS on my AR and hate them... They look cheap, feel cheap, and when folded the rear one gets in the way of my Eotech 512's (unless i mount my 512 very far foward, witch i do not like) buttons. I wish I would have just paid the extra $50 to get some nice low profile / fold flat sights. I would say get some MI or YHM low profile sights so they don't get in the way of your optic.

I've never used / know of anyone that has used a riser on a gas block to mount their back up sights, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I've got MI's on one of my rifles, and I run a 512 on it... no issues.. the only think I dont like is they have a little locking piston that you need to toggle to fold/unfold. I understand the design, but it could be an issue if you're heated and your optics take a shit. I'm not really a gloved shooter, but I could imagine gloved shooters may have issues....
Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #77
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Oooh I think about wanting to build one and I run into this....a sign?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #78
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white96850turbo View Post
Yep, nothin' special about MBUS.
Supposedly the latest revision lays flatter.

Quote:
I would get a different gas block or watch the MBUS melt.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #79
Taco Supremist
spearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to all

spearhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Yep, nothin' special about MBUS.
Supposedly the latest revision lays flatter.

I would get a different gas block or watch the MBUS melt.
I think they work great for the price, but yeah don't stick one on a gas block
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #80
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a question.

Don't use the MBUS on the gas block, the heat issues could distort the front sight, not a good option.

As for the small riser rail, that won't work either because the difference in height from the railed gas block to the receiver is not the same the small risers you will find, so your front sight will either sit way to low and you front sight post will sit up outside of the ears or it will sit way too high and your front sight won't have enough negative elevation to get properly sighted in. Both are an issue. The riser will not put the front and rear sighs on the same plain, thus they will never zero correctly.

As for the "adding a rail to the hand guards" this won't work either because your handgaurds are plastic clamp ons and will move, wiggle when you hold the rifle, so your rifle will never maintain zero, even shot to shot you handgaurds will move thus moving your front sight, so that isn't even an option.

Your options are:
*replace the gas block with a different height gas block and rail (~$80 in parts)
*replace your gas block with a A2 style gas block with built in front sight at the correct height (~$50 in parts and then gun smith fees to install the cross pins properly for an A2 sight base)
*buy a front sight from MI or the like that is made from AL and it also the correct height to be used with your railed gas block (~$60 in parts) - this is the best low cost option, you also won't need armor tools and you won't have to modify the weapon, you could also likely sell the front MBUS for $30 and make 1/2 what you need for the MI sight
*buy a low profile gas block and put a quad rail free float hand guard on your rifle and then mount your MBUS to that (~$300 in parts)
*finally just buy an optic and forget about the back up sights, if you buy a quality optic it is more likely that you will be dead or dying before it stops working, so the concern with a back up set of irons is almost silly unless you are a serious bad ass