Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs

Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #101
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimonback View Post
Okay... decided the bull barrel Olympic is a bit more for longer distances, so I put on a Bushnell 3-9x50 scope. I like the scope, but it sits a little too low with Leupold high rings. Can I just buy a riser to set it on, or should I find different rings?
You will either need high rise rings or get a 40mm scope. You are not going to get a good check weld on the stock with high rings.

Personally I would get a different scope. My nikon is a 4.5x12x40 with nikons AR scope rings.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #102
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare4150 View Post
I just read through the entire thread on AR15's. im trying to build from scratch than buy one off the shelf. Only question I have is what lowers and uppers are good and which are dirt? I dont want to shell out serious cash im not trying to hunt or match shoot. just want a solid rifle to shoot.
Surplus arms and ammo (made by aero precision) has stripped uppers for like 60 bucks and seem decent. They are also the only place that I could find that had them in stock. For a lower, just pick which roll mark you like best Palmetto state armory has specials on theirs for $50 from time to time.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #103
Nightmare4150 is on a distinguished road
EMS: EMT
Name: Nick
Nightmare4150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Surplus arms and ammo (made by aero precision) has stripped uppers for like 60 bucks and seem decent. They are also the only place that I could find that had them in stock. For a lower, just pick which roll mark you like best Palmetto state armory has specials on theirs for $50 from time to time.
nice ill look them up. I might just go for a complete upper because I dont want to mess with barrels and what not because I dont know enough. I found a website that has tons of uppers but doesnt say what brand they are.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #104

Post up a link.

PSA had a deal going on for $350 for complete uppers minus the BCG.
My dad got one but hasn't had a chance to shoot it yet.
Also check out Bravo company for great complete uppers
Old 06-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #105
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just read through the entire thread on AR15's. im trying to build from scratch than buy one off the shelf. Only question I have is what lowers and uppers are good and which are dirt? I dont want to shell out serious cash im not trying to hunt or match shoot. just want a solid rifle to shoot.
...it's a burgeoning market, ...lots of vendors to choose from... i'm partial to CMMG (in missouri), ..they make good quality components, and have a nice satin teflon finish (deep black)... i like the finish and it's easier to wipe clean the exterior than matte finishes on other makes..
Old 06-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #106
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
nice ill look them up. I might just go for a complete upper because I dont want to mess with barrels and what not because I dont know enough. I found a website that has tons of uppers but doesnt say what brand they are.
go for the complete upper , ...that way you don't have to get into the smithing, ...and mating a barrel to receiver requires proper tools/know-how...

the lower receiver is quite easy to assemble w/ the parts kits you want...
Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #107
Nightmare4150 is on a distinguished road
EMS: EMT
Nightmare4150's Tacoma Gallery
I looked up PSA and I think im going to go with a lower and upper from them. thanks for help!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #108
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You will either need high rise rings or get a 40mm scope. You are not going to get a good check weld on the stock with high rings.

Personally I would get a different scope. My nikon is a 4.5x12x40 with nikons AR scope rings.
Found a video on how to set up your scope. The narrator says to lay your cheek into the rifle, comfortably, with your eyes closed- then open them to find out where your height needs to be, I found myself looking at the top edge of the scope dead center in my field of view. Tells me I do need another 1/2" to 3/4" of riser on the scope mount.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #109
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I looked up PSA and I think im going to go with a lower and upper from them. thanks for help!
I will be doing the same. Ordering a stripped lower and a build kit next week.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #110
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys I'm needing a new barrel on ar-15. I have a 16 but want a little more punch for coyotes but still want a lightish gun to carry. I was looking at the dpms mini sass in the 1-8 twist. I dont want the 1-7 but will accept the 1-9. Any good suggestions at a good price?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
Hey guys I'm needing a new barrel on ar-15. I have a 16 but want a little more punch for coyotes but still want a lightish gun to carry. I was looking at the dpms mini sass in the 1-8 twist. I dont want the 1-7 but will accept the 1-9. Any good suggestions at a good price?
Do you know what those twists are for? I don't think I would own a 1/9 twist barrel. Get some SSA 77gr rounds and go slay some yotes. With a 1/7 that is
Old 07-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #112
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you know what those twists are for? I don't think I would own a 1/9 twist barrel. Get some SSA 77gr rounds and go slay some yotes. With a 1/7 that is
I currently have a bushy 1/9 16 inch barrel and it shoots the 55 grn nosler ballistic tips very well and thats what I've heard does good on coyotes and dogs. The 1/8 will handle both heavy and light ish bullets or so I've been told. Plus heavy bullets drop alot and lose alot of energy with long ranges.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
I currently have a bushy 1/9 16 inch barrel and it shoots the 55 grn nosler ballistic tips very well and thats what I've heard does good on coyotes and dogs. The 1/8 will handle both heavy and light ish bullets or so I've been told. Plus heavy bullets drop alot and lose alot of energy with long ranges.
Ive shot 55gr-77gr bullets through my 1/7 and not had any accuracy problems with any of them. Granted the range I had acess to was only 100 yards...
Old 07-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #114
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
OK oh Gurus of the AR15, I'm looking to build what will be my first AR. My main intentions for this will be for groundhogs and target shooting.

Please take a look at my list of potential parts and let me know if: 1.) Are these good parts? 2.) I need anything else

Riflegear Upper http://www.riflegear.com/p-1166-rifl...ile-upper.aspx Spikes Lower and lower parts kit Magpul stock w/ buffer http://www.riflegear.com/p-423-magpu...-assembly.aspx Magpul MBUS iron sights

I'll also add mags, a vert foregrip, bipod, and scope at this time as well

Thanks a lot guys, I've been extremely impressed looking through this thread at all the great rifles! __________________
Old 07-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #115
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Olympic Arms

Anyone have comments regarding Olympic Arms upper receivers or complete rifles???

Just asking............

http://www.olyarms.com/
Old 07-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #116
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Teniente;5419836]Anyone have comments regarding Olympic Arms upper receivers or complete rifles???

Just asking............

http://www.olyarms.com/[/QUOTE]

I've only put 30 or 40 rounds through my KSS-16, and none with the scope. This is my first AR, and I know I probably should have gone with a more standard profile to start with, but I like it well enough. Once I get the scope sighted in I can tell more about the gun.
Attached Thumbnails
So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs-ar-w-scope.jpg  
Old 07-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #117
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Ruger

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr556/index.html
Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #118
HUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Tommy
HUNT's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger 556

I love my Ruger SR 556.
Great gun with alot of goodies right out of the box.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNT View Post
I love my Ruger SR 556.
Great gun with alot of goodies right out of the box.
Thanks.........what model did you get???
Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #120
HUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Tommy
HUNT's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger

This one..