Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs

Old 07-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #121
HUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Tommy
HUNT's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger

Old 07-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #122
HUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Tommy
HUNT's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger

Sorry,cell phone pics..

Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #123
fjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
fjfar80's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
Hey guys I'm needing a new barrel on ar-15. I have a 16 but want a little more punch for coyotes but still want a lightish gun to carry. I was looking at the dpms mini sass in the 1-8 twist. I dont want the 1-7 but will accept the 1-9. Any good suggestions at a good price?
Get a Noveske barrel and be 100% happy...just my $.02.

- Mark
Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #124
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfar80 View Post

- Mark
Just picked up a 18" BCM 1-8 but have yet to shoot it.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #125
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just picked up a 18" BCM 1-8 but have yet to shoot it.
good choice
Old 09-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #126
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KID RAY View Post
Yep, I wanted an AR chambered in 9mm, adapt this adapt that, plastic here plastic there, tweak this tweak that. Choosing a brand of magazine, where the hell does it end ?

Then I came across Just Right Carbines. I purchased one brand new for $600.00 Less plastic, more aluminum, flat top design, quad rail fore end, Glock magazine model, too much to list, check it out !!!!

http://www.justrightcarbines.com/
Looking forward to your review on this.

Did you read any reviews before you bought it?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #127
Young Padawan
Jonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Was EMT Cert. for 2 years in CO.
Name: Spencer
Jonesn13's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys,

I am relatively new to the AR platform. I picked up a Bushmaster for a stupidly cheap price. (Don't worry I had a Master Gunsmith check it out before shooting, it is in fantastic shape).

Now to my question, the barrel has a 1/9 twist rate. What grain would be the best for this twist rate?

It will be use primarily for target shooting.

Any info on quality ammo brands for .223/5.56 would be great too.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesn13 View Post
Hey guys,

I am relatively new to the AR platform. I picked up a Bushmaster for a stupidly cheap price. (Don't worry I had a Master Gunsmith check it out before shooting, it is in fantastic shape).

Now to my question, the barrel has a 1/9 twist rate. What grain would be the best for this twist rate?

It will be use primarily for target shooting.

Any info on quality ammo brands for .223/5.56 would be great too.

55gr .223

your barrel should be stamped with .223 on it. Shoot that and only that through it.
Check your gas key for proper staking.

now go have fun.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #129
Young Padawan
Jonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
55gr .223

your barrel should be stamped with .223 on it. Shoot that and only that through it.
Check your gas key for proper staking.

now go have fun.
It actually has 5.56 stamped on it, does it make too much of a difference?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #130
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It actually has 5.56 stamped on it, does it make too much of a difference?
if its 5.56, no. if its .223, YES.
5.56 chambers can shoot 5.56 and .223
.223 chambers (except wylde) can only shoot .223
Old 09-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post
this.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #132
Young Padawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post
Thats what I had thought. It has the 5.56 NATO stamp on it. From what information I have read I figured it would eat both .223 and 5.56.

Any brand preferences?

I use Federal for target and Hornady for PD in my pistols. I have found both brands to be great.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #133
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats what I had thought. It has the 5.56 NATO stamp on it. From what information I have read I figured it would eat both .223 and 5.56.

Any brand preferences?

I use Federal for target and Hornady for PD in my pistols. I have found both brands to be great.
cheapest COMBLOC garbage you can find.....personally, my rifle prefers these
Old 09-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #134

Ive been using the wolf WPA and hornady steel cased stuff along with federal XM193 mixed in.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #135
Young Padawan
Thanks guys.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #136
WizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WizzyTRDTXPRO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfar80 View Post

- Mark
X2 I love my Noveske N4 Recon.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #137
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
I recently built my LMT. Aimpoint M4 Comp, soon to get the 3x magnifier. Love it. If its good enough for the SAS and SOG...good enough for me.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #138
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

If you want accrate groups that bear is a stretch. I shot some the other day and it was all over the target. Then switched to some hand loads and got .90 inch group.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #139

Quote:
If you want accrate groups that bear is a stretch. I shot some the other day and it was all over the target. Then switched to some hand loads and got .90 inch group.
you are comparing apples to oranges...

bench shooting of course you want quality ammo if your trying to get groups...

thats like saying "I took my prius to the drag stip and it didnt do that well" well no shit
Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
you are comparing apples to oranges...

bench shooting of course you want quality ammo if your trying to get groups...

thats like saying "I took my prius to the drag stip and it didnt do that well" well no shit
Very true but oranges are better than apples.....
I'm just saying, at least for my gun, is that the only thing bear is good for is pulling the trigger really fast. I think I got a 6 inch group with them at a 100 yards bench shooting.