Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs

Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #141
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
i was getting 1/2" groups with BB 62gr SPs at 50 yards.....that's as good as any other ammo i've used
Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #142
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
Very true but oranges are better than apples.....
I'm just saying, at least for my gun, is that the only thing bear is good for is pulling the trigger really fast. I think I got a 6 inch group with them at a 100 yards bench shooting.
I never said anything about "pulling the trigger fast". I just wouldnt expect to get good groups from cheap bulk ammo...

If you need to hit center mass at 25-50 yards off hand I dont think you would have a problem though
Old 09-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #143
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
I never said anything about "pulling the trigger fast". I just wouldnt expect to get good groups from cheap bulk ammo...

If you need to hit center mass at 25-50 yards off hand I dont think you would have a problem though
^this
i'm terrible shooting offhand, but i can consistently hit a 6" steel circle plate at 70 yards with BB.....which is good enough for me
Old 09-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #144
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesn13 View Post
Hey guys,

I am relatively new to the AR platform. I picked up a Bushmaster for a stupidly cheap price. (Don't worry I had a Master Gunsmith check it out before shooting, it is in fantastic shape).

Now to my question, the barrel has a 1/9 twist rate. What grain would be the best for this twist rate?

It will be use primarily for target shooting.

Any info on quality ammo brands for .223/5.56 would be great too.
i'd just shoot .223 if you're just doing recreational shooting.... PMC makes good .223 FMJ for recreational shooting, and their brass is even annealed at the neck - which may be good if you plan to reuse the brass in reloading... i've never had a problem w/ PMC... remington UMC .223 FMJ has also worked fine for me...

for a 1/9 twist out of a 16" barrel, i think 50gr to 62 gr is probably the range of bullets that work best... most FMJ is 55gr, 50gr SPs (and sometimes lower) are generally varmint rounds that travel at super high speeds for rapid terminal expansion...
Old 01-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #145
28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
28Gauge's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I joined the mad rush for AR-15's this week. I ordered a LaRue OBR 16" 5.56. It will be a long time before I get it considering how backlogged production is right now. Most people were waiting close to six months for their rifles to be delivered and that was before all of the panic buying started. Hopefully, AR's won't be banned before I get mine. Now, I just need to decide on back up iron sights and whatever optics that I can afford.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #146
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Gauge View Post
Well, I joined the mad rush for AR-15's this week. I ordered a LaRue OBR 16" 5.56 this week. It will be a long time before I get it considering how backlogged production is right now. Most people were waiting close to six months for their rifles to be delivered and that was before all of the panic buying started. Hopefully, AR's won't be banned before I get mine. Now, I just need to decide on iron sights and whatever optics that I could afford.

Congratulations, you will be getting one of the finest AR15's built.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #147
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, I joined the mad rush for AR-15's this week. I ordered a LaRue OBR 16" 5.56. It will be a long time before I get it considering how backlogged production is right now. Most people were waiting close to six months for their rifles to be delivered and that was before all of the panic buying started. Hopefully, AR's won't be banned before I get mine. Now, I just need to decide on back up iron sights and whatever optics that I can afford.

1st AR and you spring for a larue?!?!

...i've used YHM irons and they seem to be pretty good... i paint the front sight post in orange (finger nail polish) for better sight picture...
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #148
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post

...i've used YHM irons and they seem to be pretty good... i paint the front sight post in orange (finger nail polish) for better sight picture...
No way would I put YHM parts on a Larue gun

Im totally making assumptions here but if you can afford a larue rifle you should be able to afford quality sights or maybe not...who knows.

Troy makes great sights.
http://troyind.com/back-up-iron-sights

BCM also has their own sights but they are usually sold out
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #149
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
No way would I put YHM parts on a Larue gun

Im totally making assumptions here but if you can afford a larue rifle you should be able to afford quality sights or maybe not...who knows.

Troy makes great sights.
http://troyind.com/back-up-iron-sights

BCM also has their own sights but they are usually sold out
For me it would be Troy irons and a T1 2MOA with a LaRue mount.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #150
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
Thanks man. Lots of great info.

Im considering the S&W M&P 15
That's what I have , I'm not a fan of the eotech red dots, I'm more of a fan of a traditional acog scope myself So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357673611.431157.jpg
So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357673630.913785.jpg
Red dot on top just because there's a mount for it and I might need it in a situation, you never know
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #151
28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed28Gauge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

28Gauge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post

It might be a little over the top for my first AR, but reviews for LaRue stuff were very impressive. The price might be steep, but I have seen lesser quality AR's going for not much less here lately.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #152
Nightmare4150 is on a distinguished road
EMS: EMT
Name: Nick
Nightmare4150's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up an AR15. It came with magpul rear buis. Will the rear sight coexist with a eotech 512? It has a fixed FSP. Also, I plan to put a primary arms 3x magnifier behind it. So should I just go ahead get the 517 since it has the 7mm riser And buttons on the side?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare4150 View Post
I just picked up an AR15. It came with magpul rear buis. Will the rear sight coexist with a eotech 512? It has a fixed FSP. Also, I plan to put a primary arms 3x magnifier behind it. So should I just go ahead get the 517 since it has the 7mm riser And buttons on the side?
Most quality optics will co-witness with your irons. Im not sure on the eotechs but I know aimpoints will co-wit without extra risers
Old 09-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #154
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Can someone point me to a site with good information regarding building an AR? I would like to start the process of building an AR but I need to do some serious research before I can even know where or how to begin. If anyone has any forum recommendations, articles, etc, anything that you found helpful when learning about these firearms. I'm already learning all the 'ins and outs' regardling local law so that part I've got covered.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #155
kjmahoney85 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjmahoney85 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjmahoney85 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjmahoney85 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjmahoney85 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjmahoney85 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjmahoney85 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjmahoney85 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjmahoney85 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjmahoney85 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjmahoney85 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kjmahoney85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Can someone point me to a site with good information regarding building an AR? I would like to start the process of building an AR but I need to do some serious research before I can even know where or how to begin. If anyone has any forum recommendations, articles, etc, anything that you found helpful when learning about these firearms. I'm already learning all the 'ins and outs' regardling local law so that part I've got covered.
ar15.com or m4carbine.net should get you started nicely!
Old 09-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #156
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmahoney85 View Post
ar15.com or m4carbine.net should get you started nicely!
Thanks! I have been browsing AR15.com but hadn't found the other site. I'll check that out also.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #157

28Gauge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
YouTube has a few good videos on how to build an AR. I used a couple of them to build my first lower last week. I would suggest buying a complete upper and building your own lower. You will need a few specialized tools to build the lower, but you will need even more to build an upper.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #158
Banned
quantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shed
quantum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://youtu.be/p6AZ1jxJGRM
Old 09-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #159

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
YouTube has a few good videos on how to build an AR. I used a couple of them to build my first lower last week. I would suggest buying a complete upper and building your own lower. You will need a few specialized tools to build the lower, but you will need even more to build an upper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
Thanks guys! I will certainly be using youtube as an aid when it comes to actually building my AR but I'm a loooong ways away from that point. Right now, I'm in the process of researching pros and cons of using various parts, which manufacturers have a good reputation and are priced within my means and actually still trying to determine what I want this thing to do once all is said and done.

So far, I'm still between an AR-10 and an AR-15 just to give you an idea of how far I've come with this process. This will be a very long term build for me and I would like to build the entire firearm, upper and lower and aquire the specialty tools along the way or work with experienced locals who have the tools and are willing to help me learn.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #160
Banned
quantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shed
quantum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks guys! I will certainly be using youtube as an aid when it comes to actually building my AR but I'm a loooong ways away from that point. Right now, I'm in the process of researching pros and cons of using various parts, which manufacturers have a good reputation and are priced within my means and actually still trying to determine what I want this thing to do once all is said and done.

So far, I'm still between an AR-10 and an AR-15 just to give you an idea of how far I've come with this process. This will be a very long term build for me and I would like to build the entire firearm, upper and lower and aquire the specialty tools along the way or work with experienced locals who have the tools and are willing to help me learn.
best parts sellers in the industry: aimsurplus.com primaryarms.com dsgarms.com