Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Have you ever had oryx?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever had oryx?

For the last 2 month, I have. Since the only person in my familly to kill anything last year was my Uncle, He gave us a shit load of oryx meat. We have had oryx mac & Cheeze, oryx spagetti, oryx Lasagna, oryx & potatos, And...My personal attempt at dinner, Burned oryx. Im trying to find the best way to cook this. Julie thinks Im nuts for wanting to add some Oilive oil when cooking it. It tastes a bit like Deer. FWIW, Elk is SOOOOOoo Much better!!! I better get drawn this year....
Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

For those that dont know what an oryx is:

Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Sautee it in some olive oil and lemon. That's how I cook my jackelope.
Good idea!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #4

Ok....Seems all we have left is Ground oryx.....Can it still be sauteed in lemon and olive oil?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I have dropped an oryx here in NM. I have also tagged along on others' hunts here. The popular opinion around here, including mine, is that it is the best game meat you can get. Maybe you got an old tough one or something. As with all wild game, be sure to cook it to "medium" at the max. Wild game just doesn't have the fat to be cooked past medium and maintain any moisture.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
LoHoNas has much to be proud ofLoHoNas has much to be proud ofLoHoNas has much to be proud ofLoHoNas has much to be proud ofLoHoNas has much to be proud ofLoHoNas has much to be proud ofLoHoNas has much to be proud ofLoHoNas has much to be proud ofLoHoNas has much to be proud of

Name: Jeff
LoHoNas's Tacoma Gallery
Oryx is excellent. I like to mix in some Lipton soup mix in the burgers.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
I have dropped an oryx here in NM. I have also tagged along on others' hunts here. The popular opinion around here, including mine, is that it is the best game meat you can get. Maybe you got an old tough one or something. As with all wild game, be sure to cook it to "medium" at the max. Wild game just doesn't have the fat to be cooked past medium and maintain any moisture.
Yeah. Not sure on how old it was. It was a big one. I had to instruct my Wife on how to cook it correctly. You can easilly burn it. I still prefer Elk though

Quote:
Make oryx burgers with some onion and pepper?
Thats what I was thinking...Olive oil, salt, and maybe a little butter. For Burgers...
Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoHoNas View Post
Oryx is excellent. I like to mix in some Lipton soup mix in the burgers.
I've done that with Deer. I didnt care for it too much, but Im not a good cook either, so I may have messed something up.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Never shot one or even hunted one...but have eaten it. It's good stuff!!
THey have a draw here in NM at Whites Sands Missle Range. Once in a lifetime hunt...you get drawn...you better shoot one....you don't get another draw.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sautee it in some olive oil and lemon. That's how I cook my jackelope.
jackelope is delicious

Old 04-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #14
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
Mix some sausage w/ it & make oryx balls!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
When I saw the thread title I thought it was about a vacuum cleaner, lol. I have had antelope chicken fried steak before. It was pretty good. I imagine this would be similar in flavor. I would not hesitate to try some.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
Kmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
Kmoney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
When I saw the thread title I thought it was about a vacuum cleaner, lol.
ORYX

ORECK (XL)

Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #17
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmoney View Post
ORYX

ORECK (XL)

I know, it was a joke...(oryx plural for oreck)
Old 04-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #18
Kmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
Kmoney's Tacoma Gallery
So was my post.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
I have a feeling its a lot like venison, throw it in a crockpot for 8 hours with potatoes, onions, carrots, red wine, and whatever spices you like, instant delicious
Old 04-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #20
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brow View Post
I have a feeling its a lot like venison, throw it in a crockpot for 8 hours with potatoes, onions, carrots, red wine, and whatever spices you like, instant delicious
yeah....crockpot is best bet......will make it fall apart tender.

may wanna try smoking it too.........and cooking chunks of it in tinfoil with olive oil and some different seasonings.....wrapped in tinfoil and cooked on the grill.