Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Need Gun Advice

Old 04-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
Need Gun Advice

Alright guYs here is the deal so I want to buy a gun obviously something handy and small nothing very expensive , easy to use and what not. I will be needing it for self defense not hunting. I will be very honest I don't know much about guns at all and this will be my first one. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
.38 special revolver. double action. easy to use and clean....small and perfect for self defense.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thanks for the help .... but i forgot to mention that i don't like revolvers ....
Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
commander101
jason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant future

Army: 2-16in/ 2-3in
jason1kyle's Tacoma Gallery
yeah revolvers are good or something with a good safety and a decocking if u want semi auto
Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
On my second taco now....
astral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Stalker View Post
Alright guYs here is the deal so I want to buy a gun obviously something handy and small nothing very expensive , easy to use and what not. I will be needing it for self defense not hunting. I will be very honest I don't know much about guns at all and this will be my first one. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Pistol, rifle, shotgun?

Assuming we are talking about a pistol:

Self defense at home or carrying in public?

What is your budget?

Do you have an preference of a revolver vs semiauto?

This will help narrow your search.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
Tricky is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
Tricky's Tacoma Gallery
Glock makes reliable, simple, semi-auto's. I'm parital to the g-27 for self defense/concealed carry. There are about 6 working parts and an absolute breeze to clean, especially for a novice. Additionally, short of an atomic blast, there's not much you can do to it which would damage it greatly. Cost in my opinion is relatively low for a reliable product.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
" The Master Ninja"

what about these ?

WALTHER P22 TARGET PISTOL
SMITH & WESSON SIGMA 9 MM PISTOL

TAURUS 24/7 9 MM SS
Old 04-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
" The Master Ninja"

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral View Post
Pistol, rifle, shotgun?

Assuming we are talking about a pistol:

Self defense at home or carrying in public?

What is your budget?

Do you have an preference of a revolver vs semiauto?

This will help narrow your search.
pistol, i would like to keep it at home mostly but i would also take it to camping with me so it has to be compact. my budget is $500 which hopefully is not too low. My prefrence is semi-auto.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
.22's are one of the most lethal rounds out there, but lack knockdown. although, if you get a few good shots, it'll do the trick. Personally, I'd look at 9mm, and if your on a budget and not goingto shoot that often >1000 rounds a year, save some $ and get a high point. they run about 200 bucks and everyone I know likes em just fine. They are NOT Combat level weapons like Glocks, Sig, and H&K are however. They were built with a homeowner in mind who shoots to stay current. I carry a Walther P99, HK P30 and a Sig .357-Sig.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
astral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
pistol, i would like to keep it at home mostly but i would also take it to camping with me so it has to be compact. my budget is $500 which hopefully is not too low. My prefrence is semi-auto.

I would not recommend anything smaller than a 9mm for self defense period. If it is for self defense you need a quality firearm, not a cheap plinker. There is nothing wrong with having a hi-power, but I wouldn't trust my life to it.

If you are looking for a smaller gun without going too small, maybe a Glock 23 (which is a .40 cal)? You could pick up a nice used one for under your limit, or a new one for a little more than your limit. A used Springfield XD is also an option. Both are KISS guns (Keep it Simple Stupid) and are easy to fire under stress without too much training.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
" The Master Ninja"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik873 View Post
.22's are one of the most lethal rounds out there, but lack knockdown. although, if you get a few good shots, it'll do the trick. Personally, I'd look at 9mm, and if your on a budget and not goingto shoot that often >1000 rounds a year, save some $ and get a high point. they run about 200 bucks and everyone I know likes em just fine. They are NOT Combat level weapons like Glocks, Sig, and H&K are however. They were built with a homeowner in mind who shoots to stay current. I carry a Walther P99, HK P30 and a Sig .357-Sig.
thanks what high point do you recomend ?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #12

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=164625327 - New glock 23

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=165436233 - Used glock 23

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411539625 - Used Glock 27 from a good seller (sub compact gun might be smaller than you are looking for, but a great gun that I carry daily)
Old 04-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
" The Master Ninja"

ive heard really bad reviews about hi-points though
Old 04-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a 1911 fan, as I've said on other threads here. For a beginner though, I would recommend a Glock- new or used, doesn't make a lot of difference. UNLESS you have kids, and no way to secure the gun- then they're too easy for curious minds to work with. I also recommend .45 ACP, even for beginners. I find the recoil is no more than the 9mm or .40, and it's much better to throw one big softball as opposed to several golf balls.

And I wouldn't touch a hi-point.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
For $500.00 Glock is a great choice.

9mm is fine, .40 is good also.

Take a class or two. CCW classes are well worth the money to get you up to speed on the responsabillity involved with carrying.

Spend money on ammo and range time as well to become familer with the pistol, mag changes, clearing jams ect.

Many store/ranges will let you try different pistols to see which one you like or fits you best.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
Dirty Sanchez is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Sanchez is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Sanchez is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Sanchez is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Sanchez is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Sanchez is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Sanchez is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Sanchez is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Sanchez is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Sanchez is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Sanchez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Sanchez's Tacoma Gallery
Whatever you get it should fit your hand well to start with. I suggest going to a range where you can rent a few different models and see what feels best? Good Luck!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #17
God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!
JohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JohnnyGato's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what about these ?

WALTHER P22 TARGET PISTOL
SMITH & WESSON SIGMA 9 MM PISTOL

TAURUS 24/7 9 MM SS
The Walther P22 is great as my buddy has one. We have fired it tons of times and the .22 ammo is cheap. You have to keep that gun well oiled as it is small with moving parts. Other than that I loved it.

The Sigma 9mm pistol is what I have and is a great beginner gun. It is VERY comfortable but has a heavy trigger which I have gotten used to. I didn't realize how heavy it was until I fired my uncle's 9mm Baretta. Still a great gun and well priced. Check out a gun show as I got mine out the door for about $300.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #18
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks what high point do you recomend ?
Their .380 is good but ammo is a bit hard to find. 9mm and .40 are great rounds. A lof of law enforcement are going with .40 these days. 9mm is a NATO round, and is still pretty cheap. For self defense, I recommend taking a concealed carry class, and a defensive firarms course if theres one available. Also, you cant really fo wrong with hollow points or super expanding jacketed rounds.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!
JohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JohnnyGato's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik873 View Post
Their .380 is good but ammo is a bit hard to find. 9mm and .40 are great rounds. A lof of law enforcement are going with .40 these days. 9mm is a NATO round, and is still pretty cheap. For self defense, I recommend taking a concealed carry class, and a defensive firarms course if theres one available. Also, you cant really fo wrong with hollow points or super expanding jacketed rounds.

I definitely also advise taking a class! You will learn a lot! Don't be afraid to ask questions while you're there too. That's what it's for!!! Since ya haven't purchased yet, ya might also wanna check out a range and RENT a few of their guns of different types and calibers to see what you are comfortable with.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
" The Master Ninja"

great thanks for all the help