Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

DPMS panter arms AR-15

Old 04-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Metallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to behold
Metallikatz3's Tacoma Gallery
DPMS panter arms AR-15

So I saw that Cabelas is having a sale on the DPMS arms Panter Oracle AR-15 rifle in 5.56x45. Basically I shot my friends Colt AR-15 and his SIG 556 and want something similar. I dont want to spend close to $1,500 on something thats just gonna be for plinking pretty much.

The DPMS is on sale for $700 which is much more in my price range, then once I add optics and tax I'll still be well below $1000 (keep in mind I just want something decent not top of the line). Now I know its not nearly the same quality as Colt or SIG or a lot of other brands. But for the price is it a good gun? and is there anything that is the same price range (new or used) that is better?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I read this yesterday. its not about the same model as your talking about but does have some info on DPMS as a company.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52130
Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
JESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to beholdJESSMAN is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
JESSMAN's Tacoma Gallery
DPMS makes great AR's and tons of up grades for the AR!!! Good choice!!!Check out DPMS.com!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallikatz3 View Post
So I saw that Cabelas is having a sale on the DPMS arms Panter Oracle AR-15 rifle in 5.56x45. Basically I shot my friends Colt AR-15 and his SIG 556 and want something similar. I dont want to spend close to $1,500 on something thats just gonna be for plinking pretty much.

The DPMS is on sale for $700 which is much more in my price range, then once I add optics and tax I'll still be well below $1000 (keep in mind I just want something decent not top of the line). Now I know its not nearly the same quality as Colt or SIG or a lot of other brands. But for the price is it a good gun? and is there anything that is the same price range (new or used) that is better?
CMMG, Stag and a kit from Model1sales.com are all better choices imo.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dont forget about rock river. DPMS is one of the lowest quality AR's on the market.
visit AR15.com to get limitless info on ar15 rifles

For a very reliable gun just over $700 check this out
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=118&t=486660
Old 04-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Mud Junkie
TaComatoseSR5 is a jewel in the roughTaComatoseSR5 is a jewel in the roughTaComatoseSR5 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Stephen
TaComatoseSR5's Tacoma Gallery
dpms is NOT one of the lowest quality guns on market. I own one and it has been only great for me I also bought it used from and a friend and I could guarantee it has had lots and lots of rounds through it with no problems besides gas rings ($5)
Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaComatoseSR5 View Post
dpms is NOT one of the lowest quality guns on market. I own one and it has been only great for me I also bought it used from and a friend and I could guarantee it has had lots and lots of rounds through it with no problems besides gas rings ($5)
I'm glad it's working out for you but DPMS is not known for quality. It ranks just above Olympic Arms.

Edit; my mistake. They rank just below OA.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #9

hey matt, can you post a link for the "chart"? I cant access it at work
Old 04-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #11

for anyone thinking their or any DPMS is a "quality" rifle, please consult the linked "chart".
Old 04-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Let's not bring up the gospel...I mean 'chart of truth and wisdom' again.
Nothing has been overhyped more on AR forums than that damn chart...except the name Colt.
In re OP...DPMS is a mid-tier...maybe lower mid-tier manufacturer.
I don't look to their products when I'm buying, but wouldn't avoid one if it was the deal or version I really wanted.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
Let's not bring up the gospel...I mean 'chart of truth and wisdom' again.
Nothing has been overhyped more on AR forums than that damn chart...except the name Colt.
In re OP...DPMS is a mid-tier...maybe lower mid-tier manufacturer.
I don't look to their products when I'm buying, but wouldn't avoid one if it was the deal or version I really wanted.
Yeah let's not get caught up with facts.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
USNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: IS2(AW) @ NAS JAX
USNROBERTS's Tacoma Gallery
Buy the dpms. Get the fever. Not everyone can have the same AR. And not every single AR from a manufacturer is the same. So to lump one brand into a quality ranking is kinda stubborn. I dont think you will be dissapointed. BUt whichever part of the gun you might happen to not like... upgrade. Its the beauty of the platform. Enjoy.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #16
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Function is what's important.
My Rock River is too stupid to know it's not a top tier gun.
It just works perfectly, and continues to shoot tiny little groups...all the time.
Ignorance is bliss.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
CMMG, Stag and a kit from Model1sales.com are all better choices imo.
I would buy a CMMG bargain bin before the DPMS, all other things being equal.