1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Inhofe bill would ensure off base gun rights

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Packman73, May 26, 2010.

1. May 26, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 [OP] ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Inhofe bill would ensure off base gun rights

Ownership and carrying of guns by people living and working on U.S. military bases could end up part of next week's debate in a Senate committee on the $760 billion defense policy bill. Sen. James Inhofe, R Okla., a senior member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, introduced a bill Thursday that addresses one of the issues raised after the November 2009 shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, the possibility of stricter rules about gun ownership on military bases.

Read About It:
    Army Times

2. May 27, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I would love for this bill to be passed! I cant carry concealed yet but I would like to keep a pistol in my truck atleast. Im a civilian contractor so this would affect me.

We are starting to have "active shooter" excercises on base to help train our security forces on responding to threats like the one that happend in Ft. Hood. But by the time it takes the LE to respond the shooter could have already done a lot of damage. If John bag'a'donuts was allowed to carry and saw something like this break out, he could take the shooter down before it escalated too far.

3. May 27, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Maybe I missed it- but that article says to me that bill won't allow for additional rules about service members carrying OFF base. It leaves the restriction on carrying weapons on base??

This seems like a silly piece of legislation really...It's repetitive. It "protects" rights that already exist...::shrug::

4. May 27, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    the way i read it I thought it was saying that people would be allowed to carry on bases and kinda just reitterated about not affecting their rights to carry off base.

EDIT: just re read it

"His bill would not prevent the military from prohibiting people from carrying personal weapons or ammunition on installations, but it would not allow the military to set rules for Defense Department personnel who own or carry firearms when off base."

Soooo what exactly does this have to do with anything? he isnt changing a thing :notsure:

5. May 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    That is Jim Inhofe's MO.

I have talked to the man on more than plenty of occasions, and he does this all the time.

6. Jun 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    A little more info on this topic. I got an email from the NRA and this makes more sense now.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sen. Inhofe Introduces Legislation To Protect Second Amendment Rights Of Military And Dept. Of Defense Civilian Personnel: Over a period of some months, NRA members in the Armed Forces have called NRA's attention to the fact that certain military base commanders, exercising arbitrary authority given them under military law and regulations, have issued orders violating military personnel's Second Amendment rights. In a particularly egregious example, Fort Riley, Kansas, has imposed a preposterous regulation that, among other things, (1) requires the registration, with Fort Riley, of its soldiers' privately-owned firearms kept off-base, and those of the soldiers' family members residing anywhere in Kansas, (2) prohibits soldiers who have firearm-carrying permits from carrying firearms for protection off-base, and (3) authorizes unit commanders to set arbitrary limits on the caliber of firearms and ammunition their troops may privately own. [/FONT]

Products Discussed in

To Top