Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Assault Rifles

Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
dubstar2003 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jacob
dubstar2003's Tacoma Gallery
Assault Rifles

Hello, I'm not sure if there is another post about assault rifles, but I'm looking into buying an AR-15. I've been looking online, but not really sure if one manufacture is better than the other. I'm looking to spend below $1K. Also just wondering if anyone has used an AR for deer hunting. Appreciate the info. Also if you can let me know where to buy. I've been to a few local gun shows and seen them for sale.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gun...r-15-faqs.html
Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24397

between this and the link above, you will learn a TON of info on AR's

and they are not "assault" rifles.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
Skimafia is on a distinguished road
Skimafia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24397

between this and the link above, you will learn a TON of info on AR's

Wait...So what does the AR stand for?!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
C17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1A2 701 AS Charleston AFB, SC
Name: Dennis
C17Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Armalite
Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A assualt rifle has selectable fire, 3 shot burst, full auto.

the civilian versions that we can buy would be more suited to be called SR's (sport rifles) but are reffered to as military style assault rifles.

An assault rifle is loosely defined as a selective fire rifle designed for combat

Definitions
A genuine assault weapon, as opposed to a legal definition, is a hand-held, selective fire weapon, which means it's capable of firing in either an automatic or a semiautomatic mode depending on the position of a selector switch. These kinds of weapons are heavily regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934 and are further regulated in some states.
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcassaul.html
Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Skimafia is on a distinguished road
Skimafia's Tacoma Gallery
Haha. I love it. I was just kidding. 99% of society believes that AR stands for Assault Rifle. I was just playing into that.

I keep forgetting that sarcasm doesn’t show in the internets.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimafia View Post

I keep forgetting that sarcasm doesn’t show in the internets.
not unless you use one of these or these or these

Show me your face!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
AR15 for Deer hunting is like catching a butter fly with a one ton boulder
Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
Simms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
Simms65's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Simms65
I know plenty of folks that use an AR15 or an AR10 for deer hunting. Works great!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjohn View Post

ehh not really if your using a .223 you better make sure you have good shot placement.
or you could go with the 6.8 or .308 upper for more knockdown
Old 05-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjohn View Post
???

I like the term 'paramilitary'
Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
C17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

C17Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ehh not really if your using a .223 you better make sure you have good shot placement.
or you could go with the 6.8 or .308 upper for more knockdown

agreed...but with my ar i can put a bullet through any point on the deer with ease at 100+ yards... that's an easy head shot right?

i've never been hunting before so i can't say but i did intend my ar for medium to long distance shooting!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #14

thats a good looking gun man! and unless your shooting a doe, you dont want a head shot

I dont think I would be comfortable going for a heart/lung shot on a mature buck with a 55gr bullet. Ill stick with my 7mm-08 with 140 gr bullets for that
and save my AR for varmnits and zombies
Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #15

C17Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats a good looking gun man! and unless your shooting a doe, you dont want a head shot

I dont think I would be comfortable going for a heart/lung shot on a mature buck with a 55gr bullet. Ill stick with my 7mm-08 with 140 gr bullets for that
and save my AR for varmnits and zombies
Thanks man! much appreciated!

Fixin to go to the 1,000 yard range and give her a workout tomorrow, its been months since I've shot!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #16

the longest range we have here is 300 yards. owell ill prob never shoot farther than that anyways
Old 05-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thank you.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #19
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck and enjoyment picking out an AR. If you want to use it for deer hunting, I'd suggest you buy one chambered for a heavier round. .223 would be considered by most as insufficient for deer hunting and in many states it is even illegal to hunt big game with a .223. I'm pretty sure my state is .24 caliber or higher for big game.

My military rifles are all .308. Just some foreign crap:
Match grade FN-FAL
Valmet
HK-91