LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16

Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16

Anybody got any experience with these? Just wondering if y'all had any thoughts...a local gun store has a (from what I can tell) pretty good deal on a new one.

I've been looking for something with a fairly potent caliber that's still relatively light with which to hog hunt. Thinking seriously about this one because it's (relatively) light and shoots .308 and is semi-auto. Just wondering primarily about reliability as I don't want to miss a hog and piss it off and have to climb a tree because round 2 jammed into the action.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
The Professional
c0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3rd SFG(A)
c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to c0b2a
they rock! I would love to grab one up but funding is a bit low right now.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Come on, Touch it......
ChrisDeSoup will become famous soon enough

ChrisDeSoup's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by argm31i View Post
Anybody got any experience with these? Just wondering if y'all had any thoughts...a local gun store has a (from what I can tell) pretty good deal on a new one.

I've been looking for something with a fairly potent caliber that's still relatively light with which to hog hunt. Thinking seriously about this one because it's (relatively) light and shoots .308 and is semi-auto. Just wondering primarily about reliability as I don't want to miss a hog and piss it off and have to climb a tree because round 2 jammed into the action.

Thanks.
the socom 16 is hot and the socom 2 is just as kick ass, if your hunting (IMO) and you want a springfield go with the Scout Squad M1A, it's not as mean looking though..... when you go to the gunshop ask them to show you one.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php
Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
I agree that the Scout Squad might be a little more accurate, but from what I've read, everyone and their brother says that the muzzlebreak on the Socom is the sh!t. Supposedly, it makes follow-on shots much easier to get off cleanly and on target.

Also, I don't know if I could get this kind of deal on a Scout Squad...I think this particular gun shop doesn't know how to price long guns (they've got the Socom 16 on sale for $1,100.00, and it's new) because they almost never get any in.

Anywhere else, I'm probably going to pay standard retail.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
I have the M1A Scout with the Realtree fiberglass stock:

And the original M1, modified a bit:

M1's are kick ass!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
vivafire is on a distinguished road

vivafire's Tacoma Gallery
If you can go to a gun show and the cash you might be able to find one at a good price. The only thing that sucks nowadays is ammo is keeps going up just like gas!
Old 06-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Come on, Touch it......
ChrisDeSoup will become famous soon enough

ChrisDeSoup's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivafire View Post
If you can go to a gun show and the cash you might be able to find one at a good price. The only thing that sucks nowadays is ammo is keeps going up just like gas!
True, true,true.... If your gunna get a .308win save some money to get reload equipt, it will pay for itself in no-time....
Old 06-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
If you found some for $1,100, buy five of them, keep one, then sell the other four for around $1,700 each. Thats a screaming deal. I would stick with a scout squad or standard though. Just my preference. those things are loud as hell and launch one heck of a fireball due to the extremely short barrel.

SA Inc. is hit and miss with their rifles. I have one that has never ever had a problem, except for a stovepipe once but that was my fault, it had a really dirty chamber.Ive heard many many stories about rifles leaving the plant which should have never got past QC.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
It is just an M14 without the selector switch, which never worked well with that recoil. So, reliability is not a problem.
What I wonder is the velocity loss by chopping the BBl?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:28 AM   #10
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
From what I've been told the drop in velocity is around 150-200 fps. For my purposes, that won't really make a difference as the ranges I'll be shooting at are 100 yds. or less.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:53 AM   #11
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
If you load faster powder, you could get back up.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Fulton Armory and LRB also make very nice "M14's".