1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What 45 do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by IluvTEA, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dec 16, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    Hopefully my husband doesn't get on here and realize I am taking over his name on tacoma world. lol

My husband and I have a Smith and Wesson 45 ACP. But he will be graduating Air Force OTS here soon and I am thinking of surprising him with another one. We love the 45, so I think I want to stay there. I was even thinking of getting it personalized. But I have absolutely no idea where to even look, What brand name is best,... or anything for that matter. I know he has ideas that he likes, but I very well can't ask him... since I want it to be a surprise :)

Do y'all have any suggestions on what 45 you have had good luck with? We have also thought about getting a shot gun.. so if you are familiar with those, can I have that input as well?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Dec 16, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I know this isn't going to help much, but I wouldn't buy him a gun until he shoots it first and finds one he likes. :eek: Don't want to be stuck with a gun that he doesn't find very comfortable to shoot. Has he said anything in the past about other guns he likes that he has shot?

3. Dec 16, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    I agree with Colton. The worse thing would be buying an expensive gun for him that he isn't comfortable with. You can't just take a handgun back after shooting it and get a refund.
    Dig around a little bit. You can find out what he likes without giving the surprise away.

4. Dec 16, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    :) Thank you Colton. I know he was talking about a Kimber before... but I don't think he has shot one. Maybe we could go "look" at guns for the future and see which one he likes lol. I would hate to get one he doesn't like, as well. Decisions Decisions. :) Maybe some input on here as for how they shoot and such would help though. :) So I know if they handle good and what not. :)

Thanks so much, again!

5. Dec 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, Matic :)

6. Dec 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Colton is correct.
    People have different tastes and preferances in pistols.

I love 1911s and shoot them better than any other pistol,but I carry a Glock 30SF because I would cry if I dropped one of the expensive 1911s.

I know you can make the 1911 as reliabe as a Glock but dollar for dollar the Glock is what I carry.

Nothing purttier than a dressed up Colt or Springfield but if it is a carry pistol I go with the Plastic Fantastic.

7. Dec 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Hmm.. well looks like if I can't get him to spill the beans on which gun he would love.. then I will have to think of another awesome graduation present lol. Thanks so much for all the input! :)

8. Dec 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Though I agree with the above, Nothing says "Congrates" quite like a new Sig P220 :p

9. Dec 16, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    If he has tried Kimbers then they may be a great pick.
    I have not shot the S&W 45s so I cannot say if the grip angle is compatible with the Kimber or other 1911.
    That is usually the biggest difference in pistols for your personal preferance.

There are a bunch of Kimbers out there and with all the options I think you may have to work him to find out what he is thinking on which one.
    Good luck.

10. Dec 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/

dito....
    I like my G30 though

11. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OffRoad
    Viper remote start alarm 2.5" Spacer in front, 1.5" spacer in rear, rear TSB performed N-Fab Nerf bars 16" x 8" Vision Warrior wheels 265/75/16 Dura Trac tires
    I would suggest a Kimber Ultra CDP, they come with many features standard from their custom shop. I up until recently shot in many IDPA competitions and can say with certainty the Kimber is one of the tighest shooting handguns you can buy in the $1k price range. Of course you you can upgrade to a Thunder Ranch or Wilson but you will get in the $2k range with those.

12. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Glad I could help... I have shot a Ruger P-series .45 and loved it, very smooth and comfortable - for me. I've heard good things about Sig, Glock, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, etc. but I have not personally shot them in the .45 ACP caliber. :)

13. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
    <<<<<<<KIMBER>>>>>>>

14. Dec 16, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    That's a very good suggestion.

I personally like my G36 although it is not a 1911 style. I do have a late 50's colt 1911A1 that my grandfather brought back from Korea.
    You might look into the "thunder ranch" .45's from les Baer.
    If my gf bought me a colt, kimber, springfield for Christmas, sure I would be happy. But if I opened up a box with a Les Baer custom in it....I'd rock her world for a long time!!!
    Again, I wouldn't purchase something like that for him unless he had a chance to shoot one. I think most would agree that Les Baer makes premium .45's and are in a league of there own.

15. Dec 16, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    OP, you remind me of my wife. For that alone, congrats to your husband! The quote above is a great idea, if you're not commited to a surprise package. Otherwise-

Someone mentioned the Kimber Ultra CDP earlier, which is a 5" 1911. A great weapon for match shooting but a bit long for CCW. And at $1300, might be a bit more pricey than necessary. For years I carried a Commander size (4.25") Kimber or Colt, and competed with the full size Gold Combat. If a carry weapon is the primary objective, I'd stay with the Commander or Officer's (3.5") models, in a less expensive version(say, between $500-$750) and leave the pretty hardware in the house. Once you've decided on a 1911, there's a whole herd of nearly identical pistols to choose from, and every shooter will have a brand preference... but it comes down to how much you want to spend.

16. Dec 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    And I have a brand new Blackhawk Serpa holster that I'm lookin to sell, just for that gun ;)

17. Dec 16, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Have you posted it on here?

18. Dec 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    SteelRain

SteelRain Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    x1000

19. Dec 16, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    chrisx1

chrisx1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    95 4cyl 4x4 5sp
    15x8 Pro Comp Wheels w/4" backspacing, 31x10.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Bilstein 5100's set to 2.5", URD Short Throw Shifter kit, URD rear O2 sensor simulator

^^what he said^^

Sig all the way

20. Dec 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    Zulu Six

Zulu Six Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab SR5
    In the Army, the traditional graduation gift from a big school - Ranger school, Q course, OCS, etc is usually a very nice fixed-blade knife or a watch. There are two reasons for this:

1. To give something that the buddy/loved one will always carry with them to remind them of the person that gave the gift. For what it's worth, the personal meaning of something as small as a knife/watch can do wonders for moral in tough times.
    2. To give something functional that the buddy/loved one will actually use while on a deployment.

That being said, I don't have a clue as to what an Airman would actually use on a daily basis on deployment. An espresso maker? Crayons and comic books?

/kidding

Products Discussed in

To Top