1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All About Suppressors

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Polymerhead, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    So, I think we should start a thread on suppressors. I want to see photos of what you have! Also, if you have questions about legality or the paperwork process, post it here and we'll help you out!

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    Silencers are legal but they are regulated on a per-state basis. However, the National Firearms Act (NFA) branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) ultimately controls any transfers, and all silencers are registered by this branch. Individuals, corporations, and trusts can legally purchase and possess silencers in 38 states. However, if you are a dealer, manufacturer, peace officer, or a law enforcement agency or other government agency, there are additional states where you can own a silencer. Check map to see if you are eligible.
    BLACK States prohibit ownership

[​IMG]

So far these states are legal: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY.

Caveats to this:

• You cannot legally make your own silencer in a state where silencers are illegal.
    • You cannot drive or fly to a silencer friendly state and purchase one to take back to your state.
    • You cannot have a friend or family member who lives in a silencer friendly state buy you one.
    • You must be a resident of the state where the silencer is purchased. Military personnel stationed in suppressor friendly states are considered residents in that state, and may purchase them there.

To own a silencer:

• you must be a citizen of the United States
    • you must be at least 21 years of age
    • you cannot be a felon

The process to purchase:
    For individuals to purchase a silencer, they must start by choosing a product. Locate a class III gun dealer in your state. Once you agree to your dealer’s selling price, you may be required to pay for the silencer in full or, at the very least, provide a significant deposit to start your transfer paperwork. This is because it may take one to five months for the paperwork to be approved, thus tying up the inventory.
    After the monetary transaction takes place, the dealer will order the product from the suppressor manufacturer, and will have to transfer the product to your dealer by asking permission from the BATFE via Form 3. This transfer can take two to six weeks to be approved. If the dealer does have the product in stock, it will be assigned to you and separated from the rest of the inventory, ensuring that you have a product serial number for your form. Once you have an assigned product serial number, the class III dealer will then give you the ATF Form 4 (5320.4), Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm, in duplicate with the serial number of the product filled out in the appropriate section. You must fill out the rest of the form in duplicate. You will send in a $200 check or money order with the completed application, along with a recent photo and fingerprint cards.

There are 2 ways of purchasing them:

First way, is as a individual:

1. Obtain the ATF Form 4 (5320.4) (Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm) from your dealer in duplicate. Some information should be pre-filled by your dealer, such as the dealer’s name and address, the model of the silencer you are purchasing, the overall length of the silencer, the caliber of the silencer, the serial number of the silencer, and the manufacturer’s information. Make sure the dealer signs the appropriate fields. Remember to complete all information in duplicate.
    2. Fill out the required information on the front of the form, including your name and address. Complete the back by answering the questions and stating the reason you are acquiring the silencer. Sign and date the back of the form. Again, remember to complete all information in duplicate.
    3. Affix a recent color passport-sized photograph of yourself on the back of each copy of the form.
    4. Acquire a signature of the chief law enforcement officer of your county or your local sheriff. Don’t let this step scare you; this is a routine request. If you feel that your police chief or sheriff will not sign the Form 4 because of personal or political concerns with the second amendment, do not worry. You can bypass them by purchasing the silencer under your Limited Liability Company (LLC) or corporation, or under a trust. Read the trust section I posted next
    5. While you are at the station obtaining the required signature, ink up your fingers and get two copies of FBI fingerprint cards (FBI Form FD-258) that you will send in with the two duplicates of Form 4.
    6. Fill out the ATF Form 5330.20 (Certification of Compliance). This form does not have to be in duplicate.
    7. Place both completed copies of Form 4, the two copies of FBI fingerprint cards, and the completed Certification of Compliance form in an envelope, along with a check or money order (payable to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) for $200 and mail to the address listed on Form 4. We advise that you use a check and not a money order so you can see when the ATF cashes your check. This is a great way to confirm if the form actually arrived and is being processed. Otherwise, you may just be waiting for two to six months for approval, when, in fact, your paperwork never arrived.
    8. After the ATF approves Form 4, they will put a stamp on one of the two copies you sent them and then send it to the dealer where you purchased the silencer. The dealer will then notify you that the paperwork has returned and that the silencer is ready to pick up.

The second method, is a trust.

Obtain the ATF Form 4 (5320.4) (Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm) from your dealer in duplicate. Some information should be pre-filled by your dealer, such as the dealer’s name and address, the model of the silencer you are purchasing, the overall length of the silencer, the caliber of the silencer, the serial number of the silencer, and the manufacturer’s information. Make sure the dealer signs the appropriate fields. Remember to complete all information in duplicate.

1. Fill out the required information on the front of the form, including the name of your corporation or trust (not your own name) and address. Complete the back by answering the questions and stating the reason you are acquiring the silencer. (Remember to print the name of your corporation or trust, not your own name, in section 15). Sign and date the back. Remember to complete all information in duplicate.
    2. Place both completed copies of Form 4 with a check or money order (payable to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) for $200 in an envelope, along with a copy of your Articles of Incorporation or trust paperwork, and mail to the address listed on Form 4. We advise that you use a check and not a money order so you can see when the ATF cashes your check. This is a great way to confirm if the form actually arrived and is being processed. Otherwise, you may just be waiting for two to six months for approval, when, in fact, your paperwork never arrived.
    3. After the ATF approves Form 4, they will put a stamp on one of the two copies you sent them and then send it to the dealer where you purchased the silencer. The dealer will then notify you that the paperwork has returned and that the silencer is ready to pick up.

Information credit to SilencerCo.

List of Suppressor manufacturers.

• Advanced Armament Corp.
    • AWC Systems Technology
    • Bowers
    • Elite Iron
    • Gemtech
    • Innovative Arms
    • Knight's Armament
    • Liberty Suppressors
    • OPS Inc.
    • SRT Arms
    • Silencerco Silencers
    • Surefire
    • SWR
    • Tactical Innovations, Inc.
    • Thunder Beast Arms
    • Yankee Hill Machine

3. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Here's my 30 cal can. It's a 762SD by AAC. It fits on my Rem 700 in 300 BLK:
    300BLKSupp_6b256a9f09979673b3aefb62ff068001858ea4f7.jpg

And on my 5.56x45mm AR-15 SBR:
    SBRScoped_8463ca1b368908c9074488bb4593eca5ab31cc04.jpg

And here's my 22 caliber SWR Spectre on my Browning Buck Mark:
    7bbc1e70-1_c7c2d95c8619e8b8d689047534cfde64ebdb50cc.jpg

And it also threads onto my Savage MKII
    MarkII5_91987292cb41086d34af214defe03156c7891436.jpg

Next? I don't know. Maybe a light 9mm can for my Glock and XD?

SandiestTaco likes this.
  4. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Suppressors:
    illegal in hawaii.

:mad:

5. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I have three. Here is a picture of my YHM 5.56/.223 suppressor. I'll get some pics of my others.
    [​IMG]

6. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Nice - are you happy with it? I hear people raggin on YHM because they're heavy but lots of folks say they're bulletproof.

7. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I love it. It is heavy but built tuff, they do now offer it in a titanium can just like my mine. I really like the quick detach from the flash suppressor so I can also run it on my M4 without any problem.
    The only suppressor I have that I’m not a huge fan of is my Tactical Innovations Tac 65 .22 suppressor and only because Silencer Co now builds the Sparrow which in my opinion is a superior suppressor to any .22 suppressor on the market.

8. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, the Tac 65 is definitely not a super heavy duty design. I have the Spectre but I agree that I would probably go with the Sparrow if I had to do it again. SilencerCo is goign to offer upgraded internals for older Sparrows and Spectres so I'll probably take advantage of that.

9. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Brugger & Thomet Impuls II-A on my HK USP 9SD

[​IMG]

Tactical Innovation Tac 65 .22 - Don't waste yout time or money buy a Silencer Co Sparrow if you are in the market for a .22 suppresor

[​IMG]

10. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    meeestirg

meeestirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vance County, NC
    Subbed for the second post's useful information!

11. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    x2

12. Feb 1, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    Xshark

Xshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    If I get a can for my 5.56 AR (when I get THAT), will that suppressor work with .22 (if I get a .22 bolt conversion for my AR)?

13. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    Xshark

Xshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apparently so:
    http://youtu.be/1coJ-j3mZ7Q

14. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Yes it will work however the .22 caliber round is very dirty (lead & carbon) and will make a mess of your 5.56 can. .22 suppressors can typically be taken apart to clean the internals easily.

I would not recommend shooting .22 rounds in a 5.56 suppressor unless the suppressor can be easily opened. My YHM Phantom for example is a sealed suppressor and would be useless if it ever got fouled up with lead from .22 rounds.

15. Feb 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

WhiskeyDeltaTango Resident Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
    What's a good reason to tell the .gov why you need a silencer?

16. Feb 1, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Investment / Collector

Usually your shop will fill out that part on the forms.

17. Feb 1, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    hearing protection i would assume

18. Feb 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Also, add Innovative Arms, Inc to the list of manufacturers

19. Feb 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I thought you guys still used spears? :confused:

20. Feb 1, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    hence why suppressors are illegal!!

Products Discussed in

To Top