1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carry recommendation for wife?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by dauange, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    dauange

dauange [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '01 PreRunner, Dbl Cab, 4 cyl
    My wife is doing child guardianship work that takes her into strange homes and situations where she is deciding custody arrangements for kids. She's gotten into several uncomfortable situations. I'm thinking that it is time for her to get her CCW. Do you all have any gun recommendations? She has done some skeet shooting with me but very little handgun shooting. Obviously I'm looking for something safe and reliable. She will probably only ever carry in her purse. I don't see her carrying directly. Thanks.

2. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    .38 cal with +p bullets

3. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    thecoldone06

thecoldone06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does her employer allow employees to carry?

I would try and convince her against purse carry. By the time she would have it out, she most likely wouldn't have time to use it. She could carry something small in a supertuck and be just fine.

4. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    also what happens if someone steals the purse?

as far as the gun, take her to the range and rent a variety of styles and she what fits her the best and what she is comfortable with. one recommendation is do NOT go with the small pocket rockets (lcp, p238, bodyguard, etc). I am a pistol instructor and i notice females have a very hard time operating the slide on these and dont have a firm enough grip to shoot them properly. They also hurt and have horrible sights (not all). The women I have instructed hate the small guns. Let her shoot something mid size and simple to operate and choose what is comfortable first. For her first time I recommend going with a 22 pistol until she understands the fundamentals.

5. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    dauange

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    She is doing this as a private attorney part time so answer is yes. Her day job is an assistant prosecutor.

Any recommendations on something for a super tuck?

6. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM
    thecoldone06

thecoldone06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes, definitely get her to a range and find something shes comfortable with shooting then go from there. comfort > caliber.

7. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    guns that alot of my female students seem to like:

mid sized striker fired pistols in 9mm (glock/xdm/sr9)
    mid sized 22 pistols (p22/sr22)
    believe it or not they love 1911s

i would also stay away from wheel guns

8. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    SuperTacoma

SuperTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Double Cab SR5 4x4 Silver
    Wife cares Walther .380 P380 hollow points.

9. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    try out a glock g26 maybe i like it but i dont conceal carry, so yea..

10. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    Sgian

Sgian Dark humor is like food, not everyone gets it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport DCSB Manual V-6 SC
    TRD Super Charger, URD 2.8 Super Charger Pulley, URD headers and full system, URD fuel pump upgrade, URD Short throw Shifter, AFE CAI, OME 886 coilovers with Nitrochargers, Dakar Leaves, Desert Products UCA's, FJ TRD Anthracite rims, BFG AT/TKO 285s, Redline Hood struts, Weathertech Ventshades, Weathertech Floormats, Speed Dawg shift knob, Coupe solid shifter, Relentless all around, Eyelids T2, Mr Yo Rearview mirror lift, ejector seats, Rigid D2s front and back, Rigid Light bar in skewp.
    It depends on alot of things. First and foremost, what does she like to shoot? My wife daily carries a G26 with CT laser off body in a concealed carry purse. For your wife's situation, I would not reccomend off-body carry.
    Another thing it depends on is your wife's body-style/build and normal dress. There is a holster called the flash-bang that can be made for a variety of concealed carry guns which attatches to the front of the bra between the breasts. This is a viable option if your wife has greater than "C" cup size and wears shirts that do not tuck in. (I have one on order as a surprise for her for our KelTek P32, am waiting on them to make one for the Sig P290 which was her Christmas present)
    http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/the-pinup-collection.html

For belt carry, unless she wears a suit, I would shy away from strong side carry. The hips of a woman will cause the gun to print unless she is in the habit of wearing bulky clothes.

Forget about small of the back carry, exceedingly slow and the draw telegraphs like no tomorrow.

Appendix carry would work if your wife is of the extremely athletic variety of body. If her stomach is anything other than flat, you might want to look somewhere else... Upside to this carry is that it is unlikely anyone will "bumpcheck" that area. http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/#dd-iwb

Bottom line is figure out what kind of gun that she wants, between those two links there is a high probability of them making a holster for whatever gun she decides on. Personally I prefer a 9mm, but any firearm has intimidation value regardless of caliber. On intimidation, a laser would not be a bad option. It is a no-shit message to whoever it is placed on that bad will follow, not to mention faster target acquisition in a stressful scenario.

As was mentioned before, a wheelgun is most likely not the ticket, to wide for easy concealment.
    I would shy away from .22, shot placement would be at a premium. Also depending on barrel length, over penetration might be a concern.

As for models, there are tons of them out there. I would stick with proven brands or ones that you trust.
    Kel-Tek, Either the P32 or the P3AT. I have found both functional
    Glock 26/27, if she can hide the double-stack, these are awesome!
    Sig P290, be careful. I have had to send this one back for reliability issues. It works now.
    These are just the ones I personally own, I would encourage you to go to a range that rents guns and have her shoot everything.

I hope this helps a little bit. matt

11. Apr 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Make sure you lift with your legs

12. Apr 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  13. Apr 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    brass knuckles:p:rolleyes::eek:

14. Apr 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    triumphx

triumphx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    X-runner/cummins
    Hands down best carry caliber for a female is .380....I would recommend a ruger lcp which is what i carry, packs enough punch and can just be thrown in your pocket. Also bang for buck I would recommend bersa thunder 380, bit larger than lcp but easier to handle and doesn't jump up your hand. If possible search for a older bersa as theynare better made than the newer ones

15. Apr 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    This, and it's kind of a bad idea to have kids and guns in an escalating situation ...

She needs to get better at leaving before then (or at least keeping the path to the door open). Maybe pepper spray or a tazer would be safer for all involved. I can't imagine she'd keep her job very long after the 1st shooting.

And is SHE interested in carrying, or are you pushing it on her?

16. Apr 6, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Coming from someone who carries everywhere but to the gym and to the bar...and taught more than 1 girlfriend how to shoot and walked them thru getting CWPs

I REALLY don't like the subcompact .380s for females because many of them find the kick to be so unpleasant that they wont even have anything to do with it

My favorite carry guns are my Keltec PF9 and my S&W 642 airweight

I have bigger options...and smaller ones...with larger and smaller calibers...those 2 seem to provide the greatest combo (for me) between caliber, kick, comfort, and everything else

With that being said, in the OP's situation...if she can reliably shoot a subcompact .380 without hating it...that would be a fantastic option because theyre so easy to hide...i've just found that a lot of people wont shoot them even at the range because of the snappiness...and if you wont shoot it at the range then you wont get proficient...and then its of no use

17. Apr 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    NoDrAmA357HK

NoDrAmA357HK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 Timberland Mica DBL CAB 4x4 TRD Sport
    3" Pro Comp w/ AAL, 17x9 -6 Offset 4.75 Backspace Pro Comp 7033, LT285/70/17, Xtreme M/T Pro Comp - 67285
    Ka Bar Knife

18. Apr 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    dauange

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for everyone's input. Thus far she hasn't gotten into any really bad situations and pulling a gun would be her absolute last choice. Often times it isn't the fathers that she feels threatened by. It's the mothers and even more so the boyfriends or new husbands. She's had a situation where she had to confront a boyfriend about allegations of sexual abuse and he went irate. She also has a case where the mom's new boyfriend has three felony convictions with one being assault. I've offered to go with her when she feels that a situation might be bad in advance but she's trying to get both parents and kids to open up and talk to her. She worries that they won't if it looks like she is afraid buy bringing protection.

19. Apr 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    As an assistant prosecutor, she isn't issued a sidearm or CCW automatically? Wow. When my cousin was hired as an ADA in Houston, she had to attend a course through the Harris County SD, and issued a sidearm the same day. ADAs are often targets for revenge and retribution.

Tell her to look into a subcompact Glock (the 36 is a nice weapon), or an ultra compact .45, like a Kimber Ultra Carry model. Both excellent choices.

20. Apr 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    dauange

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    We live in a small rural county so there hasn't been need in the past for them all to carry. However, she can get a CCW without the class and applications. She just has to go to the sheriff's department and they'll give her a card. That said, I feel strongly that she should take the course regardless for the situational awareness training as well as gun safety etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top