Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Guns & Hunting (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/guns-hunting/)
-   -   wow. watcha think? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/guns-hunting/270709-wow-watcha-think.html)

92dlxman 03-29-2013 10:23 PM

wow. watcha think?

technology is amazing isn't it? or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA

teamamerica 03-29-2013 10:28 PM

i like the silencer, i just bought the same one^^

92dlxman 03-29-2013 10:32 PM

seriously, watch the video. a friend of mine brought this to me as a kind of "look how much money we could make, but more importantly, look at what this guy is doing for himself, and the gun control debate as it stands"

92dlxman 03-29-2013 10:34 PM

this guy is my age, and i must commend his open mindedness and ability to use technology outside the box.

guaranteed the ffl laws are being re-written as we speak

teamamerica 03-29-2013 10:35 PM

yeah i dont doubt it. liberals will be the end of this country.

Rich91710 03-29-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92dlxman (Post 6667437)
seriously, watch the video. a friend of mine brought this to me as a kind of "look how much money we could make,

You can make all of the guns you want for personal use, but to make them for sale, you need an 07FFL.
In California, it's going to be tough to get the licenses the BATFE will want prior to issuing the 07, and even if you are able to get licensed as an 07 operating out of your home, you will have forfeited your 4A rights to the BATFE and CaDOJ.
You also wouldn't be able to make handguns in California unless you can get them put on the roster.

Gotta' do it from a storefront/business park, so there's a hefty monthly cost for rent, utilities, and security.... not to mention the cost of the printer.

You might be profitable in 5 years.

92dlxman 03-29-2013 10:40 PM

yea i just dont get it. this country was built on certain principals, and prospered on them. with all this "new age" thinking, it really seems that its going into the dumps. luckily there are still people like the guy in the video

92dlxman 03-29-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich91710 (Post 6667465)
You can make all of the guns you want for personal use, but to make them for sale, you need an 07FFL.
In California, it's going to be tough to get the licenses the BATFE will want prior to issuing the 07, and even if you are able to get licensed as an 07 operating out of your home, you will have forfeited your 4A rights to the BATFE and CaDOJ.
You also wouldn't be able to make handguns in California unless you can get them put on the roster.

Gotta' do it from a storefront/business park, so there's a hefty monthly cost for rent, utilities, and security.... not to mention the cost of the printer.

You might be profitable in 5 years.

right. the doj regulates the ability to sell firearms. . . . what about the specs and material formulas to print them?

Rich91710 03-29-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92dlxman (Post 6667443)
guaranteed the ffl laws are being re-written as we speak

No need to rewrite.
To manufacture for sale, you need an 07.
To manufacture for personal use, it's a state issue, Fed has no jurisdiction since it does not involve commerce.

Rich91710 03-29-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92dlxman (Post 6667474)
right. the doj regulates the ability to sell firearms. . . . what about the specs and material formulas to print them?

Parts is parts.

They can't regulate my ability to purchase a block of aluminum that I can machine into a receiver.

Distribution of pre-coded programs? That could potentially fall under existing law.

A few shops were offering up their CNC equipment for 80% build parties. They'd load up the program and the owner of the 80% lower would mount the blank and push the "start" button.
DOJ/BATFE busted at least one shop back in '08.
The ruling was that manufacturing was taking place on the premises, regardless of whether the person pushing the button was a paid employee or not, they were a defacto employee.

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to regulate the program code.

92dlxman 03-29-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich91710 (Post 6667480)
No need to rewrite.
To manufacture for sale, you need an 07.
To manufacture for personal use, it's a state issue, Fed has no jurisdiction since it does not involve commerce.

ok, im beginning to understand. i have more thought to put into this, and will probably never persue it, (that would be stealing from this guy the way i see it)

the idea is completely new to me. i've known about 3d printing. but am blown away by the fact that i never thought to consider it for the efficient manufacture of firearms.

01kingtaco 03-29-2013 10:55 PM

i want one!!!

01kingtaco 03-29-2013 10:58 PM

this is gana change the way we know guns.

Rich91710 03-29-2013 10:59 PM

I've thought about it a lot, but the equipment is super expensive, and the raw materials aren't cheap.

Unless you go all the way and manufacture for sale, it's nothing more than a curiosity for "Joe Average".
Manufacture for sale is a major undertaking, and product liability insurance for a firearms manufacturer is nothing to sneeze at.
You'd also have to perform some serious real-world testing to make sure they hold up. I've seen more than a few AR-like receivers made from everything from cutting boards to micarta and they're only good for a few shots before something fails. It's normally the point there the upper attaches/hinges in front of the magwell.

Seriously, you're looking at a HUGE investment... several hundred thousand... to get into this.

NumNutz 03-29-2013 11:00 PM

I watched this today. I'm all for the second amendment, but I think a level of regulation is necessary. People make the argument that we don't need gun control, we need idiot control. What's gonna stop an idiot from getting their hands on one of these? The fact that anyone can download the file online and manufacture a lower is scary to me.

Mr.Ed 03-29-2013 11:02 PM

try to buy a 100k printer to print greenbacks. Same thing.

92dlxman 03-29-2013 11:05 PM

im hoping that you guys can spread this idea. who knows maybe it will change something. talking to the right people, acquiring the necessary equipment, we could each have whatever we please. . . .right?

teamamerica 03-29-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NumNutz (Post 6667527)
I watched this today. I'm all for the second amendment, but I think a level of regulation is necessary. People make the argument that we don't need gun control, we need idiot control. What's gonna stop an idiot from getting their hands on one of these? The fact that anyone can download the file online and manufacture a lower is scary to me.

just remember the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun.

92dlxman 03-29-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

correct. i agree with you on this. here in ca they make sure im 100% well and good before they sell me a gun. i just think its amazing that due to technology, there is this major, completlely exploitable, yet somehow respectable loophole

Rich91710 03-29-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Nothing is stopping any idiot from buying an 80% lower and machining it into a functional AR15 receiver. It can be done with a drill press.

Nothing is stopping any idiot from buying $200 worth of tools at Harbor Freight and bending a piece of flat steel into an AK47 receiver. The parts kits are not regulated and are readily available... I could build two of them in a weekend.

Perfectly legal unless the "idiot" is already prohibited from owning a gun.
And if the idiot is not already prohibited, background checks aren't going to keep him from buying one from a gun store.... or from stealing one... or from buying one "black market" on the street corner.

California has "universal" background checks. All transfers (other than C&R long guns) have to go through a dealer, 10 day wait, etc....
California is home to Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Stockton, and Berkeley. Plenty of people that should not have guns have them, and they did not obtain them legally. A new law is not going to make them any less likely to be able to obtain them.