1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poll: Do you carry in your truck?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by vtrguy, Apr 28, 2013.

?

Do you carry in your truck?

Poll closed May 28, 2013.
  1. Yes

117 vote(s)
    70.9%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. No; But I'd like to

38 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. No; I don't see a point

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Apr 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    vtrguy

vtrguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    Deckplate, Full OME kit, Snugtop Camper, Camry ignition ring, TRD Catback
    As the title suggests, been playing around with a few ideas in my head to see how many of y'all carry in your trucks.

If so, what do you store it in and where are you storing it?

If not, why not?

Feel free to add what state you're in for legality sake :p

Just getting a gauge for interest here because my buddy owns a ranger and is a gun enthusiast (I just go shoot with him occasionally).

2. Apr 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    vtrguy

vtrguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    Deckplate, Full OME kit, Snugtop Camper, Camry ignition ring, TRD Catback
  3. Apr 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    slodc4

slodc4 Conceal Carry

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Winterville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Locked 17 trd sport
    18" barrel Mossberg 500 under the rear seats and a xdm 9mm in the front

4. Apr 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    Once I get my HCP I will.

5. Apr 28, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    2xR

2xR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja T|X
    Yep. Butler Creek set up for my Glock 31

6. Apr 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    Operator313

Operator313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    12 TSS Prerunner SR5
    Maxtrac Spindles 2 inch blocks on 1.5 AAl's (You jelly?) Kicker L78 Kicker 300.1 BLHM Color scratched grill
  7. Apr 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    TacoBurrito07

TacoBurrito07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 SWB Dbl cab TRD Sport 4x4
  8. Apr 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    California is a tough nut for defensive purposes since you can't transport anything loaded. Handguns need to be in a secure locked container.
    Rifles and shotguns can be tossed behind or under the seat.
    Loaded mags are legal as long as they are not inserted into the gun.

When I carry, I use a small Gunvaut with the cable wrapped around the seat leg.
    It's big enough for the G26 and a mag... extra mags in the glove box.

9. Apr 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...the best way to carry is on your person... avoid having to go into a CPZ if at all possible, ...this may mean being more "particular" about where you go to shop, do business, etc... if i absolutely must park and go into a CPZ, i remove the mag from the gun, stash the gun in a console, etc. (gun stays in holster for safety, and round stays chambered) - note in OH the gun is considered loaded but CHL holders can place the gun anywhere in the vehicle - i take all loaded mags w/ me into the CPZ...

10. Apr 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Not an option without a CCW/CHL in most states.

But most states are shall-issue.

11. Apr 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    bubba353z

bubba353z Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Former owner of a 12 TRD Sport AC 4x4
    My company won't allow gun storage on company property (even with a CCW) so I can't carry the majority of the time - only on weekends.

Florida law prevents employers from restricting storage - I'm hoping Ohio follows suit.

12. Apr 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    So push the definition and get it straightened out in court.

You would be storing the gun on your private property... in your vehicle.
    Your vehicle happens to be temporarily located on company property on a regular basis.

13. Apr 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    ...you're not alone in that thinking...

...assuming your employer's lot is not a statutory CPZ, ...then the company policy is just that, ...a company policy... not criminal trespass but perhaps a risk to your employment there should the "bosses" find out...

...also, the "parking lot" legislation that has passed in many states recently, TN, IN, etc. seems to cause some consternation between "private property rights", ...basically that of a "landowner" vs. that of the employee, or "car owner"...

...again, assuming you're employer's lot is not a statutory CPZ, ...then it comes down to managing your risk... do you risk a problem w/ the employer should they "find out" it's in your car, ...or do you "risk" your safety to/from work and any errands along the way?...

14. Apr 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yeah TN just passed one saying that the gun can stay in your car/truck even if employer does not allow them.

also they passed a law that if you have a HCP, you can have the gun in your car/truck on school grounds, but from what i understand it can not leave the car or truck at all. Which is great if you carry and need to pick up your kid or drop them off at school. before you could not even have it in the truck on school grounds.

15. Apr 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    In Colorado you can legally open carry so if you have the gun within sight then its perfectly legal, But the law has alot of ins and outs that can screw you over if youre not aware of them.

CCW on the other hand isnt much of a problem carrying except in my experience you really want to make sure you remember where it is at ALL times. Dont put it somewhere that cant be reached without stretching around

Keep the weapon within hands reach at all times and you should be fine, I only say that because if you get pulled over and you tell the officer you have a weapon and you go reaching it for it way in the back or under the seat or something and the cop is going to be on EDGE sometimes its better to just let the police officer get the weapon.

16. Apr 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    Yeah you can open carry in TN. Thats why it’s called a HCP here and not CCW or CCP. I don’t think there is many ins and outs though.

17. Apr 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    For some reason Open Carry here seems like a lot of trouble, You have to have certain areas of the handgun visible at all times like i know the trigger and a certain amount of the barrel HAS to be visible. Its weird, Basically if you have a handgun in a holster and its fully covered its considered Concealed. You cant have it in certain places i know like how you were talking about schools and government buildings.

18. Apr 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    yep, ...was that the bill that was rejected by the TN court?... i could be getting things mixed up, but thought that it was either that or restaurant carry that ran into problems there?...

19. Apr 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    The main "gotcha" is the Federal GFSZ law... and I can see there may be efforts to strengthen it in the wake of Newtown.

Whether a state allows LOC/UOC or not, federal law requires firearms to be unloaded in a locked container or locked mount (gun rack) when within 1000ft of a K12 school.
    There is an exemption for those who possess a CCW/CHL/CWP... but the exemption ONLY applies in the state of issuance.
    Having a Florida non-resident CCW permits one to carry concealed in some 20+ states, but it only provides an exemption to the Federal GFSZ law in Florida.
    Likewise, Arizona, Vermont, and Alaska constitutional carry laws do not provide the exemption without the CHL.

Thankfully, it is a federal law, and I've never heard of it being enforced by local authorities other than incident to arrest on other charges. Even cases where people have been arrested under California 626.9 (California's own GFSZ law), they have not been charged under the Federal statutes.

As for carrying on school property, it depends on the state. California may be tough to obtain a CCW in many counties, but it does provide an exemption and allows loaded concealed carry pretty much anywhere except a bar or courthouse.
    BUT... when the gun is not on the person, the same laws that apply to a non-permitted person apply to the permitted person. If he leaves his handgun in his car, it must be in a secure locking container and unloaded.

20. Apr 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet

Products Discussed in

To Top