1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how do you get deer/elk to your truck ?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by denali climber, May 27, 2013.

1. May 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    denali climber

denali climber [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    what do you do if you shoot a deer or elk after hiking 1 or 2 miles away from your truck ?

2. May 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    Jake7

Jake7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Tritown Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    aFe CAI, TRD S/C with 2.8 URD Pulley, Doug Thorley long tube headers, AFE Y pipe, Banks monster exhaust
    Quarter it and then make a few trips.

3. May 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    Drag it. Unless it's open enough to get the 4 wheeler to it.

4. May 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    I usually sit in the bed of my truck when hunting so it's always within distance

5. May 28, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Plan on a long day and/or night of dragging if it's a blacktail or mulie <200lbs.

Anything bigger than that, it's getting quartered and packed out in several trips.

Also depends - is it "1" mile or "2" miles. That extra 5,280 feet means something there. :)

6. May 28, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I just sit at my truck and whistle, calling out "Heeere deer deer deer! Come here Deer!" It hasn't worked out yet, but I have patience.

7. May 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    you cannot drag an elk. aint gonna happen.

deer, yea. my rookie deer, like an idiot i dragged it for miles. now i would bone i out.

my elk. we boned out and four men carried it out. 125lb packs..it was life crushing weight.

our elk last year, there were only 3 of use. we quartered it and took two trips. maybe 90 lb packs.

8. May 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    bucktales

bucktales *Retired* curmudgeon

Member:
    Ct.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport AC / 2014 FJC/ 1972 Rally Nova
    Used to drag deer,and still do. Since shoulder surgery a few years back, I picked up a deer cart. If I'm a few miles or less in the woods, I'll walk out and grab the cart. I usually drag to the nearest trail or logging road, then on the cart. Works pretty good for my needs.
    If there's a lot of snow, I'll use one of those plastic, high sided ice fishing toboggans.

IMG_6835_98f0b1411830d888cd02021730b0ab368fc18dfa.jpg

9. May 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    This ^ anything more then a mile and I'm boning it out I'm not packing even a cow Elk out over a mile in quarters. Deer i would bone out as well that far back anything more then a few hundred yards and I'm boning it out ad a steep grade into that and it's getting boned out for sure. For the bull Elk we use horses to pack it out or 4wheelers if we can get them to it.

10. May 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    I'm in Florida. We don't have elk and big deer here are not very big compared to other parts of the country. Usually not far from the truck but too narrow to do it any other way.

11. May 28, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    denali climber

denali climber [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am not experienced at cutting up big game. Plus, I hunt entirely in northwest Montana and if I cut up an animal and make a trip to my truck there is a good chance a large predator will be on the pile when I get back.

12. May 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    youtube, gutless boning method. as an ethical hunter you really should bone up on your butchering skills..at least have some working ability to pull and animal apart. when we hiked the first load of elk out, wolves were howling. we were in the pitch dark when we showed up for the second load..it motivated us to motor out, fast.

predators dont bother me. approach smart. i've yet to encounter one..but montana has griz right? i'd glass it before i walked up to my second load in grizzly country.

13. May 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    buzzard1992

buzzard1992 Yep

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    01 4wd trd, 255/85/16 km2s
    5100's with eibachs. And 255/85/16 km2s
    Down here the deer aren't that big. And most places I can either almost get my truck there. Or I'll grab a 4wheeler and go get it

14. May 29, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    Frogsauce

Frogsauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake Bay
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Offroad
    My Dad raised me to hunt for food not fun. On a particularly bad day he would joke and say "it ain't hunting unless your miserable".

I don't want to spend extra money on hunting. So my tactic? Depends on the size of the deer and if my backpack is full of squirrels. I usually carry a regular doe. I might make a couple trips for a large doe or buck, but typically I will quarter and pack it.

If I have to make trips, I pepper the crap out of the meat and bags left behind. For some reason it seems to keep the flys away.

An elk? Many trips. I don't usually take an elk for this reason. I am only feeding two plus a few friends. Don't need all that extra.

15. May 29, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    Denali,
    Buy this video , it will explain everything. No way to drag elk as everyone has stated.

Once you go "gutless" you never go back. Lol

[​IMG]

Az

16. May 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ West Valley
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Taco
    OME Lift, Stubbs Sliders, Truxedo cover, Pioneer Avic deck, speakers/amp etc., Black badges.
    My elk last year we drug probably 30-40ft. Soft pine needle forest floor and 3 guys. That was a combination of the elk running toward the truck after the shot and being able to get my Tacoma pretty close. I backed to a small 4' shelf and drug the Elk the remaining distance. The other guy in camp that got one was able to get his truck within a few feet to load as well. Maybe just lucky.

17. May 29, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada
    Quad. If I cant get to it on the quad, ill cut a trail.

18. May 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
    I have a Tacoma. I am gonna drive in thru all the rocks, beaver dams and river passes and load it up

19. May 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    even if you drive up to an elk, you are not lifting it into the back.

my secret NM spot borders the hotspot in that state. literally, you stand on the fence line and look it. it is stunning. we saw brown dots everywhere. they were thick. my friend that had no tag, but was helpful enough just to come along for free meat said the dumbest thing. he said, "let climb this fence run over there, shoot one and drag it back over the fence". errr...no.

no effen way. we did the next best thing. we called them hoping they would just walk over onto public land. nope, but one behind us did. i literally flip 180 degrees and dropped a huge bull. all the whooping and hollering..high fiving ended abruptly when my brother said. "holy shit, that thing is huge!"..mine died in a ravine with a tiny spring running water under that thing. we had to butcher it right there in the water. best time of my life.

hiking out, a buddy muttered.."oh, god. i think i've lost the will to live"..he was a muscular SWAT guy. the packs were crushing.

i love elk hunting. with a passion. it is why i bought my truck.

20. Jun 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    TanaTaco

TanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    OME complete kit with dakars, LR UCAs, Seat covers, weathertechs, anytime foglight mod, ABS kill switch, locker anytime mod, powered sub, halos, leer topper, aux/ipod hookup.
    Elk; usually quarter it up while leaving the guts in, if its downhill to the truck and snow on the ground I will usually grab a couple friends and drag it to the truck.
    Deer; haven't had to quarter one out yet, I'm usually in a decent enough spot where 3 or 4 of us can switch off dragging it back.

Products Discussed in

To Top